Help with Rome Hotels

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/guest.htm

I believe this is the website that agabbymamma is referring to.

I have stayed for months at a time in Rome on several occasions, and frankly, I would never stay in an "ordinary" hotel there if I could help it. There are so many convents where the sisters earn their income by running a small pension. Generally, they are lovely old buildings with a lot of character, are clean, safe, and in good locations--and CHEAPER than regular hotels! And I've found that sisters can be very maternal if you have any questions/problems. What more could anyone want?

Thanks again, for that link photographia. That be the one. I liked the looks of the one closest to the Vatican, but alas the price was a lot higher, so went with Domus Aurelia and the email I received was so nice, I'm glad I finally found something affordable.

Thanks Freddy Beach for your input. I've not been to Europe so any bite of knowledge is a big help. I would have thought going to the airport in the early morning wouldn't have been as bad as in the afternoon - guess I was wrong. Will take your suggestion and stay in the city instead of in an airport hotel and just plan on getting out earlier then we would here in the states.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel for one night that maybe is in a good location but is easy to get out of the city in the morning to head to the airport?

All the books can't compare to the wealth of knowledge of fellow travelers on this site.

Good Holiday Cheer to All ... Katie

Modem9

Could you share what airport shuttle service you used at the airport who also arranged your tour guide at the Vatican. Our flight arrives in Rome mid morning so we thought we could go to hotel, check in and then head off to the Vatican. Having a car wait for us would make the process so much smoother.

Thanks

Pam

Hi Pam,

Were you planning to use the H. A. V. free shuttle to their hotel? maybe if you emailed they could find a guide; this sounds like a great idea!

Dorothy

PS Hoping to get your reaction to my post in the roll call re transfers to Civitavecchia.

:)

Dorothy,

Thanks for the great idea! With the holidays and the kids coming back from college plus the cruise in March, I haven't been as diligent on research and timeliness as I usually am. However, after our quick trip out to Vegas in mid January, I promise to be back to my usual organized self!:)

In the meantime, I didn't realize that H.A.V. offered a shuttle from the airport. I will email them about the shuttle as well as a guide for the Vatican on the day we arrive. With regard to the limo to Civ, we are amenable to whatever works best for you. After all, you are kind enough to do the leg work, so to speak.

btw, I realized I answered one of your threads from my husband's computer and he was already signed in to CC on "Lost at Sea". Hope I didn't confuse you:confused:

Pam

Hi, we're going over in May and I made a one night reservation at the Hotel Apollo. It's right down the street from the colliseum. Out plane gets in early so I thought we could get the colliseum, forum and whatever else is close by done that day and then do the Vatican side on the last day when the ship comes back into Rome.

Hi,

We stayed at the Hotel Arenula in downtown Rome. Great location. We walked everywhere and did not require any transportation in Rome at all.

If your looking for a clean place to sleep with a good breakfast the next morning this is a good choice.

We have booked again for 2008, our 3rd visit.

Cost 130,00 per night for 2 people inc. breakfast

www.hotelarenula.com

Only drawback is no elevators, 4 floors, so if you must have an elevator this is not a good choice

Modem9

Could you share what airport shuttle service you used at the airport who also arranged your tour guide at the Vatican. Our flight arrives in Rome mid morning so we thought we could go to hotel, check in and then head off to the Vatican. Having a car wait for us would make the process so much smoother.

Thanks

Pam

We used Roma Shuttle for all the transportation. We were a group of 8 so this was perfect for us. They have either shared or private shuttle pricing. We used them for transfers from FCO to the Hotel Smeraldo (continuing to Vatican), from Rome to the port and again from the port back to FCO at the end. While we had different drivers and vans each time, they were always waiting for us, very pleasant and the vans comfortable. I always contacted them by email romashuttle@yahoo.it and they typically responded quickly.

Check the Vatican schedule of hours for the day of your arrival. They often only have tours in the mornings. We spent 3+ hours on the Vatican tour and after flying for 14 hours, that was enough for us. We were able to see as much as we wanted and ask questions. The guide used the headsets so it was easy to hear and you could wander around a bit and still hear. That was especially nice. The headsets are worth the Euro. Let me know if you would like any more information or email me at doumaa@sbcglobal.net.

Alan.

Going to be booking my first Med cruise with Carnival shortly.

What hotels do they partner with for packages? Which is the best for exploring Rome? I really have no idea.

On the way to the port I'm going to do their "Italian countryside" tour which according to Carnival's web site can be booked at a CCL hotel.

Any advice would be appreciated! My mom is coming with me. We'll probably fly into Rome one day and then we want have at least 2 days before the embarkation date to explore Rome.

Do you book the hotel at the same time as the cruise???

Hi Melissa -

I'm going to give your question a shot but maybe someone else can throw in their input also.

When I looked at the prices that Celebrity was charging thru their website for hotel rooms I couldn't believe it. For example, the Sofitel Roma (on the cruise lines website) was listed at something like 430 euros per person which is something like $1000 per night for the both of us. That was crazy INHO, so I called Sofitel directly and booked the same class of room for only 430 euros for the both of us. When I called the cruise line to verify that they had the information right on their website, they said yes! So, this is what started this thread and a search for my own lodging and not the one offered by the cruise line. Even if we factored in the transfers to the dock, it still doesn't make the $'s come out right. So, if you're comfortable booking the hotel outside the cruise line, do - if not, contact a travel agent to do the research for you to get the best rate. Also, go into www dot trip advisor dot com to read reviews.

There have been many wonderful suggestions from folks that have posted on this thread (thank you again!) and will start reseaching them after we get through the holidays. There also has been good suggestions for shuttles and limo services I picked up from other posts.

Hope this helps ... what part of KY are you from? My husband and his family are from Louisville.

Katie

Something to think about when booking a hotel in Rome. Once you arrive at the airport the cost of a taxi to your hotel will run 45 to 60 Euros depending on where your Hotel is located. Once you spend a few days seeing the wonderful sights how are you to get to the port without going broke? Here is something to consider: From the airport to Roma Termini you can take the Leanardo Express for 11 Euros. If you can find a decent Hotel say three or four blocks from the train station and manage your luggage on your own your going to save some money. The best part about this will be once cruise day arrives you can go back to the train station and ride the Local train from Platform 28 to the port for 9 Euros.... what a bargin. If that Hotel you find is more than 3 or 4 miles from the train station there is a taxi stand in front of the train station and plan on at least 20 Euros or more to get to the Hotel. I hate to say this but our 2 star hotel three blocks from the train station cost us 140 Euros. It was OK, nothing fancy just adequate. I still feel I came out way ahead because it was easy using the local transportation and going to the port was an adventure. I talk to one lady on our cruise that spent 153 Euros to take a taxi from FCO to the Port (Ouch!). Do your research and know ahead what the cost are. By the way... I too will be going back to Rome for a cruise in August 2008. However I have changed my plans on staying at a Hotel. We will be flying into Rome on the day of the cruise and will take the train to the port for a total cost of 20 Euros per person. Our ship will be in Civitavecchia for two nights when we return. That means an extra day to see Rome will not require a hotel just transportation. Going back to the Airport we will us the Ships transfer.

I hope this information will help in understanding the logistics of getting around Rome and getting over to the Port. For those of you looking for a Hotel near the Airport you might check out the New Marriott or the New Garden Hilton. Tim

We are staying in Rome 3 days pre-cruise and 1 day post-cruise (early September 2008). I have never been to Italy and need help finding a hotel. Azamara offers three hotel packages, but I would like to find something different then what they offer. If you have stayed at a special or unique hotel in Rome, please let me know.

Also, should we stay in Rome on our one night post-cruise before heading to the airport the next day - or should we stay at an airport hotel?

This trip is in celebration of our 10 year weddding anniversary - we would like to do it right and make it one to remember!

Happy Holidays,

Katie

Try Hotel Santa Maria. We liked it enough to go back next year. They are around 200 euros (10% off for cash payment) and includes a wonderful breakfast under orange trees.

http://www.hotelsantamaria.info/

You can walk right to St Peters and the Vatican museums.

Katie,

Thanks for the reply. Take it from someone who has done this there is a really easy way to see Rome and get to the port with a couple of dollars still left in your pocket: I have a recommendation for a Hotel in the area I stayed. This is not the Hotel I stayed at however this Hotel I did see and I even told my wife if I had it to do all over again I would stay there. The following is a review on the Hotel on Torino Street:

"Don't want to pay up to be in Rome, stay here. It's 1 block from the Republica Subway station and 2 blocks from the main Termini Railroad Station. For those that don't know, this is also the subway transfer point between the north south (Blue) and east west (Red) subway lines. This also helps if you take the direct train from the DaVinci Airport (only 14 Euros one way). Also buy the Passa DiRoma museum/subway pass (3 days unlimited subway use plus 2 historical sites like the Colesseum and the Roman Old Forum) for 16 Euros, another great deal since the sites alone are 14 Euros each and you stand in long lines at the sites to buy tickets - with Passa DiRoma, you go to the front of the lines) The subways go everywhere from the Vatican, the Colesseum, Spanish Steps, etc. on a low cost budget".

This Hotel is the Best Western on Torino which is very easy to get to from Rome Termini. No I have not stayed there but I did see it and it was better than the Hotel I stayed at and I paid $200 a night. After taking the "Leanardo Express" in from the airport you will depart the train and go to your right. This will take you into the Main train station. Take note that the ticket sales will be off to your right and to purchase a ticket to the port you will want to get in the line for "Local transportation" I believe the yellow marked line is for Regional Travel or the bullet trains (France, Switerland, Germany). Anyway go out the front door. There is a main Artery off to the left, cross the street and head down away from the train station. Two to three blocks down you will see this Big Bacilica (Really neat church). Across from the Bacilica (To your right) There will be a street light. Take the one marked "Torino" this will take you to the Hotel I am talking about. There are some really good pizza eateries in the area. I would recommend walking back to the Bacilica and head to the other side of the Bacilica where if you walk three to four blocks you will find some family run side walk cafes where the ambiance is just wonderful. I think if you google "Best Western/Rome" you will be able to find out more information on this Hotel. Here is another tip: Before going to Rome go to an online language converter and type the following. "My husband and I want to purchase tickets to Civitavecchia" Give the message to the ticket clerk in italian and he will know exacly what you want. It sure beats using hand language trying to explain what you want. I think the information I have given you will be very helpful. If you are wondering how difficult it was for us to get around remember my wife and I are in our mid fifties and we were packed for a 12 day cruise. I know if we can do it so can anyone else. Tim

Just wanted to second my own recommendation for the Nicolas Inn. We walked there from Termini, but it was about 20 minutes. When we went to Civ, we got a taxi to Termini and it was 10 Euro for both of us, including luggage. Breakfast was great, at a neighborhood shop. You got a voucher, and could have as much as you wanted. We even saw many local workers stopping in the morning for breakfast. We also loved having an American (Melissa-who owns the place with her Italian husband) to help us with bookings, public transport advice, and restaurant recommendations. Room was good size, and the bathroom was very nice. Cost was 100 Euro a night (though we stayed during off-season, I think it's a bit more during the high season), with breakfast included. You can easily walk to the Forum and the Coliseum. I obsessed so much about finding a place, and was thrilled with our stay.

We were on the Brilliance 11/23 sailing, there were 14 of us from our roll call who stayed at Hotel Golden. This little hotel (15 rooms) is run by a wonderful family who are very pleasant and helpful. They arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the airport to take us to the hotel, the price varies depending on how big the taxi needs to be due to luggage. The rooms are very nice and our bed was a welcome comfort after traveling more than 12 hours. One thing I did notice, our room was larger than our friend's room (they arrived the next day). The free breakfast was wonderful, and even though the breakfast room was small (seats about 12 people at a time), there was never a problem getting a seat.

I would go back to Hotel Golden in a heartbeat, and recommend it highly.

One more thing, the price was amazingly low compared to other hotels we checked. This is rated a 2* hotel, but I think we got much more!

Nancy

I am sailing on the Freedom 6/27, and after much research on these boards I booked the Hotel Del Corso. It is by the Spanish Steps which is a good location. It is a 3 star and has all the amenities you need. Most reviews say the rooms are small ,but it sounds like Rome hotel rooms are small. I booked a triple and a double since I will be joined by my DH,2DD, and DSIL. I also had the Hotel Concordia on my list, but chose the Del Corso, mainly because its on a major street. I like the hustle and bustle!

Anyway I'm happy I finally booked the rooms, and now I'm working on my flights.

PatfromPa ... will look at your suggestion.

I read today while flipping through a magazine at Border's Books that the Hotel Hassler is the #1 hotel in Rome which unless I win the lottery it's way out of my pocketbook! Others mentioned on this list of top hotels in Rome are ... Hotel Eden, Lord Byron, De Russie, Cavalieri Hilton and St. Regis Grand ... folks, I think we're talking :D big buck:D hotels here. Has anyone stayed at any of these properties?

Happy New Year!

Katie

Katie,

I know your frustration as I finally made up my mind for my London portion of my trip and booked the hotel last night. I can't even begin to count the hours I have spent on the Internet researching the different choices for both Rome and London. I have booked the Concordia Hotel for Rome at a rate of 200 Euros a night for double occ. in April. I choose it for it's location and that it is highly rated on tripadvisor. It seems like it will be a very small clean hotel and I know we will not be the room except to sleep. This is my first trip to Europe so I know I will be sightseeing or sleeping and looking for the hotel spa is not on the agenda. Honestly $300.00 a night seems like a lot of money to me, but to be in a really good location was important to us as we are ladies traveling without the DH's.

Good luck with your search and you might want to check out the Concordia.

Vicki

I'm going to post this again..... mainly because it seems alot of you are looking at the 200 euro price range......

check out www.hotelmozart.com

We recently stayed here and would do so again......

Location: very close to the Spanish steps....in fact that was where we found the perfect taxi stand. Since taxis do not "wander around" to be hailed such as in New York - but rather gather at a taxi "stand' and wait in line for customers you want to be sure there is one nearby. Easy walking distance to Trevi fountain and even tho we did not use public transport....close to that as well.

Amenities: 3 star (for Rome) with free breakfast. This is a small boutique style hotel with a very definate Rome "feel". Living room type area on first floor (which is really the second floor) with a fireplace, couches, internet area etc. In the evening the breakfast room is also a lounge area with liquor served. Our room was not near as small as I was expecting....lol but rather had an entry area with a table and chair and armore (for closet) with a safe, then a hallway to main bedroom area. Not huge but no problem getting around with all our luggage. Bath was all marble with jacuzzi shower, toilet, bidet and even a towel warmer. Very nice.

Anyway....depending on when you are visiting Rome the prices can be very competative.

Archived