Question about transfering to Egypt Air at JFK

seafun

Help! I booked a 15 day Gate 1 tour to Egypt in February leaving from JFK. I live in Seattle and will arrange my own flight to and from JFK. Then transfer to Egypt Air, leaving at 6:30 p.m.

I assume I will not be able to check my luggage through, since I will meet up with and begin the tour at JFK.

What's a safe amount of time to try for at JFK so my luggage and I will make it? It looks like unless I fly in on Northwest (which has lousy times) I'll be landing in another terminal and have to transfer to Terminal 4.

I haven't been to JFK for 20 years. How long will it take for me to claim my baggage at the end of my domestic flight, get to Terminal 4, go through security again and get checked in for the Egypt Air flight?

Thanks so much for your help! :o

Help! I booked a 15 day Gate 1 tour to Egypt in February leaving from JFK. I live in Seattle and will arrange my own flight to and from JFK. Then transfer to Egypt Air, leaving at 6:30 p.m.

I assume I will not be able to check my luggage through, since I will meet up with and begin the tour at JFK.

What's a safe amount of time to try for at JFK so my luggage and I will make it? It looks like unless I fly in on Northwest (which has lousy times) I'll be landing in another terminal and have to transfer to Terminal 4.

I haven't been to JFK for 20 years. How long will it take for me to claim my baggage at the end of my domestic flight, get to Terminal 4, go through security again and get checked in for the Egypt Air flight?

Thanks so much for your help! :o

I know of no reason that you won't be able to check the luggage through to Egypt. There is no customs requirement and unless EA and NW don't participate you will be able to check it through. I would call Northwest and ask them.The only reason you couldn't check through is if it was a separate ticket- if you added it on yourself and not through Gate 1. If its on the same script you should be able to check it through. Given that however I would still leave at least 4 hours time between the planes. Why? In case there is a weather delay. Overseas planes do get priority and while you may be delayed the EA plane may not be. You still need to check in at Egypt airs desk and be at the gate to leave at least an hour before the plane takes off.

Kennedy has an air train that travels between the terminals, that probably is the easiest part of the change. If you need to have your luggage and check in, The rule of thumb is an hour to get your luggage and an hour to check in and get through security. The Department of Homeland Security has a website that gives actual security clearance times at the various terminals but this doesn't include standing in line at Egypt air.

If you like a glass of wine with dinner, EA doesn't serve alcohol but you can buy from Duty free wine(some with screw caps)...cork screws aren't generally permitted.

We went to Egypt in October and arranged our own travel from Florida to JFK. I thought it was very easy to pick up our luggage, go to the air train and proceed to Terminal 4. You do have to go outside the airport to get the train. I think we had about five hours between flights. We were not paying attention and alot of passengers were in line at Egypt Air before we realized it. For some they would call it inconvenient but I wanted to pick up our luggage and transport it ourselves to Egypt Air. I do not like to take any chances. I think you will be fine.

Have a wonderful trip. It was awesome!!

I have another question. We are going on GCT in January to Egypt. They arranged all of our flights. We are going Delta from Tampa to JFK. Can we let Delta send our luggage through to Cairo??? Do we have to check in with Egypt Air if we do not need to check luggage??? We were able to get our seat assignments already with Egypt Air by calling them. GCT would not arrange our seat assignments on the over seas flight. How far is the train from the terminals?? We arrive in terminal 3 and go out of terminal 4.

Thanks for any tips you can give me

Cheryl

I have another question. We are going on GCT in January to Egypt. They arranged all of our flights. We are going Delta from Tampa to JFK. Can we let Delta send our luggage through to Cairo??? Do we have to check in with Egypt Air if we do not need to check luggage??? We were able to get our seat assignments already with Egypt Air by calling them. GCT would not arrange our seat assignments on the over seas flight. How far is the train from the terminals?? We arrive in terminal 3 and go out of terminal 4.

Thanks for any tips you can give me

Cheryl

The Train is directly connected to the terminal. You should check with Delta but if its on the same ticket I don't see a problem. EA allows more luggage than Delta. they will check 2 at 70 lbs each. You will probably still need to get your boarding passes from EA, but if Delta can print them out you will be fine. I got my seat assigment on all the EA flights(including the ones within Egypt by emailing their service center in Egypt. The 777 is configuired 3 4 and 2 accross.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

Archived