mysterious booming on Sovereign?

Hi all,

I sailed on Sovereign in early November, in a deck 2 outside cabin. At night, we noticed a lot of "sloshing" directly below us. It sounded a lot like water in a metal container. Ballast, maybe? Then, periodically, there was this booming, almost explosive noise. It was really loud and not a little freaky. :eek: It actually woke me up and I'm a deep sleeper. I almost got out of bed one night to ask the room steward about it but it was past midnight and he was off shift.

I've sailed on five other cruise ships, always on the bottom passenger deck, and never heard anything like it. Does anyone know what it was? The ocean was a little rough a couple of nights but I've been on much rougher water in a cruise ship.

Thanks,

Pigeon

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, there were no lobsters in the dining room, so it could have been them trying to escape.

I was towards to the fore of the ship but not AT the front. So it could have been waves crashing against the ship. I've never heard that on any other ship though.

And the sloshing noise? Does anyone know if they have tanks of water under the passenger cabins?

Then, periodically, there was this booming, almost explosive noise. It was really loud and not a little freaky. :eek: It actually woke me up and I'm a deep sleeper. I almost got out of bed one night to ask the room steward about it but it was past midnight and he was off shift.

I've sailed on five other cruise ships, always on the bottom passenger deck, and never heard anything like it. Does anyone know what it was? The ocean was a little rough a couple of nights but I've been on much rougher water in a cruise ship.

My guess would be that the booming sound would be the anchor moving around during rough seas. We've heard it before during storms.

Archived