Carnival Quality Down the Tubes

Balconeysonly

I don't really think "bargain" cruise lines sound like bargains, once they finish adding separate charges for everything.

Ah, but the "bargain" lines give one the option of cruising more economically. On my last cruise (7-days), my final charge on my sign-and-sail was about $40. I tipped in cash in the envelopes (above the recommended amount) and pre-paid my one ship-sponsered excursion. I had a couple of drinks and a couple of specialty coffees, and that was about it. Frankly, I didn't mind and didn't miss what I've gotten with the extra money I've spent on other cruises. On a more all-inclusive line, you pay the big price whether or not you wish to indulge in all of the extras (booze)...

Ah, but the "bargain" lines give one the option of cruising more economically. .... On a more all-inclusive line, you pay the big price whether or not you wish to indulge in all of the extras (booze)...

As I said above, finding a bargain is not a big motivator for me. The overall comfort is.

And reading the original post, it seems the complaint is about being too cheap to tip. There is no service complaint stated, only money.

Dan

We tipped a bunch. Too bad you have to attack to make a point. My comments were directed to a large company not a personal attack.

I'm sorry I peed in your corn flakes.

BYOB (bring your own bottle). Bring your own sodas and you won't have to gripe about the soda card expense. I too think it's a rip off but there's ways around it. I didn't care for the Carribbean, French or East Indian food at the Lido buffet. That's just my taste in food. The pizza and the sugar free desserts were good, so was the salad bar. Everything was clean and the Lido crew did a great job cleaning up dishes right after someone left the table. Lemons were a hard thing to get, had to keep asking for them. No tomato juice, you have to ask the chef for a glass. In times past, it was readily available at the juice dispensers.
I am not complaining about the price of the card. Would you pay a 15% gratuity to the guy that sold you a phone card? A greeting card? etc...

$38.00 for a FOUNTAIN FUN CARD.

I am not complaining about the price of the card. Would you pay a 15% gratuity to the guy that sold you a phone card? A greeting card? etc...

WOW! That's like drinking the oil surcharge! :eek:

No, I wouldn't pay 15% gratuity for ANYTHING I wasn't required to do so. I wouldn't pay $$$ for a soda card either. If I want to drink soda or alcohol, we pack our own.

You don't seem to understand what the 15% gratuity is for. It goes into a tip pool for the bartenders who wait on you all week getting you your sodas.

Bill

I think someone said it earlier: Carnival is a business. Someone else said that they liked the S&S/ tipping policy as it allows them to vacation on the inexpensive. ( Cheap and inexpensive are different)

I think all of this adds up to one thing: More people are able to afford cruising at their own spending levels, which is good for the business. Carnival can keep prices lower, knowing that big spenders will still spend big, but empty staterooms are bad.... nay, very bad, for business.

I dont think a 10 dollar per day tip is unreasonable at all. If I do ever find it unreasonable due to less than expected service, I will write it down some. My perogative. IMHO, I am not going to write down my gratuities without giving the staff a chance to make it right first. Their job is customer happiness... and unless they know the customer is unhappy with their corporate service model, they cannot solve the problem. They are in the business of customer service, not mental telepathy and ESP.

As for the bartender gratuity, etc... The drinkers pay for the bartender, the gamblers pay for the dealer and pit boss, the vane pay for the hairstylist and nail "girl"....etc. The method by which you pay is slightly different.

Nickel and dime away! We pay for what we wish to pay, and skip the rest.

And reading the original post, it seems the complaint is about being too cheap to tip. There is no service complaint stated, only money.

Dan

We tipped a bunch. Too bad you have to attack to make a point. My comments were directed to a large company not a personal attack.

I'm sorry I peed in your corn flakes.

Backtrack as fast as you like. You bitched about money, not service, not corporations, just money. And tiny little tip money at that. You tipped a bunch? HooHaa that's funny. And your entire problem is that you didn't understand what you were doing or what you read. You want water included in a SODA card that says glasses of soda? You ask. You find its not included, you don't buy. And the 15% added? as another poster said. That is pooled and given to the people that served your sodas. It DOES NOT go to the guy that sold you the card. Just more misunderstanding on your part and blaming others over your own shortcomings.

And I didn't attack you, just called it like you wrote it.

Dan

Backtrack as fast as you like. You bitched about money, not service, not corporations, just money. And tiny little tip money at that. You tipped a bunch? HooHaa that's funny. And your entire problem is that you didn't understand what you were doing or what you read. You want water included in a SODA card that says glasses of soda? You ask. You find its not included, you don't buy. And the 15% added? as another poster said. That is pooled and given to the people that served your sodas. It DOES NOT go to the guy that sold you the card. Just more misunderstanding on your part and blaming others over your own shortcomings.

And I didn't attack you, just called it like you wrote it.

Dan

I addressed customer service in another thread. This one was on a diffrent subject. All gratuities are pooled unless you personally hand them out. The card is called a soft drink card. Are you suggesting "hard water".

You don't have to have your soda in a glass they will give you the can. What's your point?

You don't have a clue about who, how much or when we tipped. Or are you all seeing all powerful. Should I erect a shrine to your all seeing

powers.

Reload you are shooting blanks...

Gripe, gripe, and more griping. If you have to watch your money for the vacation that you choose you don't belong on that vacation. You living beyond your means. Choose a cheaper vacation. Buy a tent and go to a State Park you'll enjoy your self more. You know, you probably won't, you'll complain that you had to drop a quarter to use the shower.

GET A LIFE, WILL YOU!! You know who you are...........

Now I feel better....... :eek: :p I needed that.

I addressed customer service in another thread. This one was on a diffrent subject. All gratuities are pooled unless you personally hand them out. The card is called a soft drink card. Are you suggesting "hard water".

You don't have to have your soda in a glass they will give you the can. What's your point?

You don't have a clue about who, how much or when we tipped. Or are you all seeing all powerful. Should I erect a shrine to your all seeing

powers.

And if you take the tips off and hand them out, they are still pooled.

Bill

The card is called a soft drink card. Are you suggesting "hard water".

Actually when you buy the individual sodas is the only time they give you the can. If you buy the soda card they only give you a glass of soda. If the bartender gave you the can then you got lucky, they aren't suppossed to do that.

And if you wanted water, you should have taken a big jug or water bottle on board with you, its pointless to pay for water if all the water on board ship is filtered. You can refill as much as you want.

Yep, we didn't pay our gratuity upfront and yes the $140 went on our sail card but we made sure to remove any "tips" we felt we are not right and pay extra to the staff that deserved it. It's ok to complain because i am entitled to it but i decided to go on cruise knowing all this. If you feel it's wrong go right ahead and complain but remember it';s your choice to go or not. We all get taxed whether you like it or not. If you decided to vote against a certain BOND in your neighborhood and it passes , you are still taxed. That's life !

ok...so how do I do this??? Do I take the auto tip off as soon as I board??? We will not be going into the dining room, we have children, 8 and 10.. But I plan on tipping.. How do I adjust the tipping amounts??

ok...so how do I do this??? Do I take the auto tip off as soon as I board??? We will not be going into the dining room, we have children, 8 and 10.. But I plan on tipping.. How do I adjust the tipping amounts??

Just go the pursers desk and have what you want removed. Just take plenty of small bills to tip the buffet people each time you eat there.:)

Bill

Do I think the service has declined over the last few years?

No. Not at all. The service I've received last year was as good or better than it was when I first sailed. OK, so that wasn't decades ago, but I've personally noticed no signs - at all - of any decrease in service.

krznkim - there is a new thread all about tipping just about every day. There are probably two or three about it still on the front page, so that may be a better place for your question (else this thread will just further deteriorate into yet another tipping debate). I know I've said all I have to say on the matter!

powers.

I love it! my kind regards

As I said above, finding a bargain is not a big motivator for me. The overall comfort is.

I understand that. For others, finding a bargain is a huge motivator. What's nice is that on mainstream lines, especially CCL, the base price is nice and low, and passengers have the OPTION to spend more to add to their experience. Or not. It is left up to them.

I have, in the past, been a staunch defender of Carnival. In face my wife and I are Platinum Cruisers. However, I am sorry to say that over the past year we have oberved a definite decline in the quality of the product that Carnival offers.

We are just off the Carnival Imagination and were expecting grade things due to its extensive refittings. While the ship has many improvements we found the lines for breakfast and lunch to be the longest we have ever experienced on any cruise line. In addition, the type and quality of food being offered is not up to the standards Carnival has offered in the past.

The ship appeared to be overcrowded, in face we became alarmed when at the lifeboad drill there was geniune confusion as to what lifeboat we were to be assigned to in case of emergency.

Carnival has been a great line, but unless that address many of their problems I do feel that individuals will consider, as we are, of going to antoher line such as Celebrity and Princess

Does anyone else think the quality of customer care has suffered in the last few years? The cabin stewards are still great, but the rest of the crew and services are questionable. I mean really, pay $38 for a fountain card and you can't get bottled water + you pay 15% gratuity on everything and they charge $70 pp gratuity to your sail and sign card. Which is it, pay gratuity up front or pay as you go they shouldn't get it both ways.

FOUNTAIN CARD.....

we all know soda is CHEAPER than bottled water.... am I wrong?:confused:

now if they have a water fountian I would expect that to be included.:D

Archived