re: Egypt, Alexandria, Dubai

dd@sea

Hi Jane,

I see you are back from your 'other' cruise and before we leave Thursday on our 'other' cruise to the Caribbean, I thought I would share with you a few things about our Alexandria - Dubai trip on the Spirit. I know you are yearning to do a sojurn to Egypt and the Pyramids so thought I would give you a little imput from our wonderful experience.

Because the Spirit left Alexandria on November 3rd we chose to do a longer precruise in Egypt than the offered trip by Seabourn. I investigated many tour companies. Many did not qualify as they included transportation and would not consider deviating an air return from Dubai. So the search went on for other sources. I looked at Lindblad, A&K, and Ker Downey for dates that would work within our time. One company, the last one mentioned, guaranteed departure with a minimum of two.

The orginal tour was slated for October 21 arrival in Cairo to November 1 departure from Cairo to home. We changed the dates somewhat and they worked out to a tee! We left October 19th and arrived in Cairo around 11 p.m. on the 20th. We were met by Nasser(the meeter/greeter and our driver at customs. He got us our visa and we were through customs in a flash. Then he gathered up our luggage, led us to the van with a driver, and drove us the Nile Four Seasons. Traffic was not too bad that late at night but during the day and early evening, wowee!

Check in was fast and Nasser handled that for us as we sat in the lounge.

We were up to our room by 12:00 a.m. and asleep one minute later. It is wise to go a day earlier as we slept in, had breakfast and walked the corniche the next day. Otherwise it would have been a tour and that is too much after our long air traveling. The hotel is outstanding. Our room was huge with a balcony, table, chairs, overlooking the Nile and hearing the honking horns which never stop. However, the room's soundproofing is the best ever.

On the morning of the 22nd, when the tour officially started, Nasser was there with Mona our Egyptologist. Mona was knowledgeable, passionate about her work and was with us for our entire stay. The experience is indescribeable. Not only did we become 'family' but we learned so much on many, many subjects. I cannot stop raving about her.

Our next two days were spent touring the Pyramids, Memphis, Sagara, Coptic Cairo, Old Cairo and much more. Because it was just the two of us and Mona (soon to named the three of us) we received intensive lessons and moved about all the sites freely - no one or off buses or waiting for the late comers. We were blessed.

Then it was our flight - early in the morning- to Luxor to board the M.S. Salacia, a five star ship renovated last year to be reconfigured from a 161 passenger ship to a 60 passenger ship. It has been beautifully done with very nice amentities. After our arrival at the airport, my husband was following a lady with a rollerboard in tow. She suddenly stopped and he went flying over the suitcase. Picking him up off of the airport floor and bleeding profusely from his forhead and bridge of his nose, Mona whipped out a large wrapped disenfectant towel from her purse and proceeded to clean him up. Glasses were broken but fortunately a spare was on hand. I then had the neosporin and bandaids to apply once the bleeding was under control. Then it was off to the ship with our driver and another meeter/greeter.

Boarding the ship was a blessed event. It was beautiful. We met the hotel manager and he proceeded to tell us that he had received a call from the Ministry of Tourism for Egypt and they needed the boat for some VIPs which was to be our seventh night on the cruise. However, they would take care of those on board by putting us up at a hotel for the seventh night with breakfast, lunch and dinner included. Then he proceeded to tell us that he was moving us from our suite of 250 sq. feet to the Master Suite - 700 square feet. It was amazing - plush decorations, dining room, living room, bar, bedroom with a small sitting area and two bathrooms plus two huge plasma tv. What un uxpected surprise! And the topper of all......after getting my husband settled down (by then he had a goose egg the size of a football helmet) I went down to ask how many would be joing our group. Ker Downey guarantees a minimus of two with a maximum of 16. The minute it goes to 17 then the group is split into two - thus we knew the group would not be overpowering in number. The topper was - it would only be the three of us on the M.S. Salacia! 50 crew to take care of us. I must admit it was close to a Seabourn Experience during our six nights.

Service was good, laundry cheap and unbelievable, food good and the ship would leave whenever Mona was through educating us at all of our stops.

After we left the ship we stayed in Luxor for two nights at the Sheraton which was just o.k. and many more 'family' excursions: Abyidos, Dendara, Karnax etc.

We returned to Cairo for one night on the 31st of October. The hotel held our Seabourn luggage until our return. Again, Nasser was there to meet and greet us and get us settled in at the Four Seasons. This time they upgraded us to a suite with a living room, bedroom, - much larger but no balcony as before - only a 'Seabourn Balcony'.

Next morning Mona, and our driver headed out to Alexandria. It was about a two hour drive and very interesting to see how the desert is expanding with growth of weekend excape homes. We arrived in Alexandria and went to the museum and the catacombs and then to our hotel - the Green Hilton.

Next morning it was off to do more sightseeing - the fort, the colisseum, the library etc. Back to the hotel for the last night and the next morning to the Spirit!

By then we were so ready to get on for our 17 trip to Dubai. After a sad good by to Mona, it was time to join our Spirit Seabourn family. Many who were on with us in August were still there and it was wonderful to be received so warmly by them. Life was blissful every moment. As usual service was at the top. I thought the food was the best I had ever had.

When we went to Safaga for the overnight allowing those to go to Luxor, we stayed on board and chilled out from our busy 15 days in Egypt. Petra was outstanding. I really enjoyed Oman too. The night sky was beautiful around Oman. Clear, close, and so many falling stars, plus many wishes; i.e. traveling Seabourn more often.

Do take this trip but consider a land trip first to see all the things you want. The agencies do have shorter trips too. By the way, I think it was Trans Egypt Travel that was our agent while in Egypt. Their site does have information about their ships too. Regardless of who you choose, they will do a great job I am sure.

Personally, I loved doing the land portion first followed by the Seabourn cruise. I came home rested, pampered and mellow mellow.

I hope this helps you with some decisions when you do your Seabourn (Egypt) trip in the future. Enjoy your next Seabourn journey.

Thank you so much for posting this report. I am sure I'm not the only one green with envy!

Now that I have substituted the first leg of my cancelled cruise (Istanbul>Alexandria) with the Spirit in June (Venice to Istanbul) I have to figure out how to see Egypt. I am re-evaluating my travel goals

(no more Carnival for now). I had found a Big Five tour that included Egypt and Kenya, but since I have 'done Kenya' I am narrowing down the search. I shall investigate your tour company. Here's a toast to travel!

Jane (with the perfect Margarita)

Jane,

Glad you enjoyed reading it too. Maybe, one day when you leave the Caribbean, you will try this one on the Spirit. The water is beautifu, clear and might be right up your alley! There are many sea days but they were glorious.

We are currently on 'another' cruise in the Caribbean. Yesterday we went to their equivalent of the 'sky bar' for a pina colada and mojito. Started talking to a threesome and they had just gotten off the Spirit a week before we got on in November. They were delightful! (as all Seabournites are) I think our bartender got an earful as we were trading our wonderful stories on board the Spirit and about our 'favorite line', Seabourn. Much to our pleasure, they too had booked the Odyssey Translantic October 2009. What fun it will be to see them again, along with all the others from Cruise Critic. Hopefully, we too will touch base on a cruise. Happy Holidays

dd@sea, so glad that you are enjoying your current cruise. We look forward to seeing you in California next month. The good news is we added the Istanbul to Malaga portion to the cruise so we are also sailing from Istanbul to Fort Lauderdale on the Seabourn Odyssey.

Happy Holidays and Happy Cruising.

Keith

Archived