Car Seat - 3.5 year old

Crazyshopper

Yes you would be required to use a car seat in the cab.

Here is the information from the Florida DOT site:

Project Funded Areas | Police Traffic Services | Speed Control | Alcohol | Motorcycle Safety | Traffic Records | Emergency Medical Services | Occupant Protection | Community Traffic Safety/Safe Communities | Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety | Roadway Safety

Occupant Protection FAQ

1. Can a passenger in a motor vehicle be ticketed for not wearing a safety belt?

2. What is the fine for a safety belt violation?

3. Can a car seat be used on an airplane?

4. What is Florida's Child Restraint Law?

5. What is the fine for a child restraint violation?

6. If the safety belt does not fit my child correctly should the shoulder belt be placed under the child's arm for a better fit?

7. When can my child face forward?

8. What if my baby is over 20 pounds but is not 1 year old?

9. Which child restraint device is the safest for my child?

10. How can I determine if my child safety seat has been recalled?

1. Can a passenger in a motor vehicle be ticketed for not wearing a safety belt?

Yes. All front seat occupants must buckle up, regardless of age. Passengers under the age of 18 must be belted in either the front or back seat of the vehicle. (FL Statute 316.614).

2. What is the fine for a safety belt violation?

Penalty for violation is $30.00 plus other legal assessments.

3. Can a car seat be used on an airplane?

Most infant, convertible, and forward-facing seats are certified to be used on airplanes. Booster seats and travel vests are not. You should check the label on the seat and call the airline before you travel to be sure your seat meets current Federal Aviation Administration regulations.

4. What is Florida's Child Restraint Law?

All children 5 years of age or younger must be properly restrained no matter where they are sitting in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. (FL Statute 316.613).

6. If the safety belt does not fit my child correctly should the shoulder belt be placed under the child's arm for a better fit?

Never put the shoulder belt under a child's arm or behind the back, as this increases the risk of severe injury in a crash. Use a booster seat to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts for children once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats at about 40 pounds and around 4 years old. Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and 4'9" should ride in a belt positioning booster seat.

Yes, bring a car seat. I can tell you what happens at Miami airport. When you go out to get a taxi, there is someone that hails them for everyone. They figure out which type of taxi would be best for each party. The first question they ask me always is "Where is your car seat?"

Then the taxi is hailed in. The person gives you a number to call with the ID number of the taxi you are in, just in case you had any problems with that driver.

I started bringing a Eddie Bauer Travel car seat because it can fold flat in luggage. My youngest is 3.5

And all I copied was 4 and 6 and yet the whole thing copied. I edited out the bottom part but didn't catch the top part. Sorry about that. Between packing and taking the little one to the park to tire him out I'm tired. :o:confused:

Thanks for your replies. I have been looking into alternatives for a car seat. I may just buy the Go Go Kidz to attach to the car seat so that we can roll my son around the airport.

I believe the Eddie Bauer travel seat and the travel vest are only approved in the US so it doesn't work for us Canadians.

Hi CrazyShopper,

We just got off a cruise with our 3 1/2 year old a couple weeks ago. She is also the same weight as your child. We have the Britax Marathon car seat and the Go Go Kidz attachment which work very well in the airport. We decided against it as it is so huge!! Instead we brought our Maclaren umbrella stroller and her booster seat. Our booster folds in 1/2 so it wasn't too bad carrying it around and it also fit right under the bed--the Britax sure wouldn't do that. :)

Hi CrazyShopper,

We just got off a cruise with our 3 1/2 year old a couple weeks ago. She is also the same weight as your child. We have the Britax Marathon car seat and the Go Go Kidz attachment which work very well in the airport. We decided against it as it is so huge!! Instead we brought our Maclaren umbrella stroller and her booster seat. Our booster folds in 1/2 so it wasn't too bad carrying it around and it also fit right under the bed--the Britax sure wouldn't do that. :)

If you brought a booster seat, help me understand, what type of safety restraint did you use on the plane?

Archived