Civitavecchia port to FCO airport

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how long is the transfer ride from the Civitavecchia port to Rome's FCO airport? My friend has a 10:45 a.m. flight and wants to know how early to have the transfer company pick us up at the port on debarkation day.

Thanks for any help.

Twee

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how long is the transfer ride from the Civitavecchia port to Rome's FCO airport? My friend has a 10:45 a.m. flight and wants to know how early to have the transfer company pick us up at the port on debarkation day.

Thanks for any help.

Twee

It can take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half, depending on traffic. I'd allow 90 minutes.

Plus, you need to allow plenty of time to navigate through FCO. Anything under 3 hours will make you pull your hair out and stress that you'll miss your flight.

I think it may depend upon the day and time. We were picked up at 8:30, loaded the bags and were in the Airport terminal at 9:30. This was on a Sunday morning. We did find the terminal to be a bit confusing and slow. WE flew Lufthanda. Using the online check in terminal cut the wait in line to almost nothing. They had separate check in lines for those who checked in online and then only checked the bags at the counter.

I am going thru the same thing. I just decided to tack on second cruise while we are in Europe next summer- since airfare is so expensive may as well stay for a while!

Anyway, I have just decided that we are going to stay in a cheap B&B by the train station in Rome (50Euros a night) and fly home the following day. That way we don't have to panick about making an 11:15 AM flight. The way I look at it- I'd rather pay the 9 Euros for the train to Rome and then take the train to the airport the day of embarkation for. Even with the B&B I think it will be less than arranging ground transportation from the ship to the airport. When in Rome!

I am going thru the same thing. I just decided to tack on second cruise while we are in Europe next summer- since airfare is so expensive may as well stay for a while!

Anyway, I have just decided that we are going to stay in a cheap B&B by the train station in Rome (50Euros a night) and fly home the following day. That way we don't have to panick about making an 11:15 AM flight. The way I look at it- I'd rather pay the 9 Euros for the train to Rome and then take the train to the airport the day of embarkation for. Even with the B&B I think it will be less than arranging ground transportation from the ship to the airport. When in Rome!

Probably a very wise move. In Jun we had an 8am flight. Got to airport before 6am and barely (within 3-5 min) made our flight. Regulars on the flight advised waits can be 3 hours plus by mid-late morning.

Thanks for the info.

How early can you leave the ship?

Depends on the circumstances of the day, weather etc. Both times we have been standing outside the terminal waiting for transport by 8am. and that was without carrying our own bags or rushing.

Carnival had a group off by 6.15am who had a 10.00am flight. I think that this was air booked with the cruise line. I wouldn't chance a flight at that time. Ours is booked for 12.30pm and I wouldn't go earlier as FCO is absolutely crazy.

Depends on the circumstances of the day, weather etc. Both times we have been standing outside the terminal waiting for transport by 8am. and that was without carrying our own bags or rushing.

Carnival had a group off by 6.15am who had a 10.00am flight. I think that this was air booked with the cruise line. I wouldn't chance a flight at that time. Ours is booked for 12.30pm and I wouldn't go earlier as FCO is absolutely crazy.

It has been reported on the boards that Celebrity galaxy was allowing passengers off at 6:00AM.

We have a 12:00noon flight the limo is to pick us up at 8:30 on a Monday Morning. FCO is a bit crazy I wouldn't want to stress myself out after a wonderful trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised on the Legend of the Seas in August 2007 (what a wonderful trip!). Anyway, we had a 11:00 am flight out of FCO to DC. We were off the ship around 6:30 a.m., on a bus provided by RCL and were at the airport at 7:45 a.m. (in the rain) with plenty of time to spare before our flight. We went thru security, waited in the VAT line for our tax money, got lost looking for our gate, got coffee, snacks and shopped and still sat around waiting for our flight. I am a total nervous Nelly but there were no problems what so ever.

I know about the nervous Nellies. I have always booked a hotel near the airport when overseas. This lasy May I feel we have pretty well figured out the necessary transportation in and around Rome. This summer will be the first time we fly in the day of the cruise and leave on the cruise departure date. Our fligh isn't until 12:30 PM so I think we will just take the cruise transfer when departing the port. If it was me I don't think I would take a flight out any earlier than 10:00 AM. Our flight into Rome will be 11:30 AM and we will just go ahead and take the train. Our cruise does not sail until 7:00 PM. By the way I really don't think FCO is that difficult. Terminal 3 is the departing terminal for oversea flights (To the US) and we were given good directions by the Airport Authorities. Tim

My problem at FCO has generally been the opposite - despite being one of the last groups off the ship, I've ended up at FCO with many hours to wait.....

I know that Celebrity will get people off the ship from the very early hours onward; there were groups leaving Galaxy before 6am on our cruise in June 2006.

But I don't think I would go for a flight out of FCO before noon unless it was arranged through the cruise-line. If the ship is late ariving at Civitavecchia the cruise line won't do anything, or be liable for anything, except for those passengers who are flying through them. That's why we have gone for later departures.

My problem at FCO has generally been the opposite - despite being one of the last groups off the ship, I've ended up at FCO with many hours to wait.....

I know that Celebrity will get people off the ship from the very early hours onward; there were groups leaving Galaxy before 6am on our cruise in June 2006.

But I don't think I would go for a flight out of FCO before noon unless it was arranged through the cruise-line. If the ship is late ariving at Civitavecchia the cruise line won't do anything, or be liable for anything, except for those passengers who are flying through them. That's why we have gone for later departures.

Hi Tom,

You have probably had a better experience than most at FCO because you are flying local i.e within Europe.

It's crazy catching the international flights to USA or Canada. I have found the line ups to be ever so long.

Archived