Summit of Muana Kea...worth it?

mithryl

I've pre-reserved an excursion to the Summit of Muana Kea in March, but I'm having second thoughts. Anyone who has done this trip (day time, not sunset)...was it worth it? Did you get to look through any of the observatories telescopes, or was there just a tour of the facilities?:confused: Seems like a long trip up for only 30 minutes at the top. Was it really cold at the top (would I need to pack a heavy jacket)?

I'm considering the Windward Coast and Waterfalls tour as a replacement (although it's even longer), or just a trip to one of the many gardens around Hilo.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Yes, it's cold (as the top of any 14,000 foot mountain would be). In March, daytime temps may be as high as 50 or 55F (on a clear, sunny day) but maybe not.

No you don't get to look through the telescopes but if you're there at the right times, you can look at them.

The area and the views are pretty awesome but I'm not sure spending most of the day on the road is the best use of a limited time on the Big Island. It's about 1 - 1.5 hours from Hilo to the Information Station (9,000 feet) and another half hour or so to the peak.

If this is your first trip to the Big Island I'd recommend going to Volcanoes National Park instead. It's a great trip and you still have time to see other things (like orchid farms and waterfalls outside Hilo) if you want to.

More info on the observatories at http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/visiting.htm

I realize that this does not exactly answer your question but we did it on a clear moonless night. Now - that was WORTH it, even though it was freezing up there.

DON

Are you saying you were at the summit at night? That's extremely unusual because everyone except the astronomers and support staff are required to leave the summit after sunset. You can stay for sunset, of course. The stargazing is at the Visitor's Center area at 9,000 ft, not at the summit. Please clarify if you were on a special tour that was allowed at the actual summit (where the telescopes are) in the later evening.

mythril: Here are links to a couple of threads that should help you. I have detailed posts in both. The first thread is from last week, while the other is a bit older but still valid:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=669856

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=611967&highlight=%22mauna+kea%22

However, unless you've already been to VNP and explored it, I must agree with Ka Honu that Mauna Kea is best to do on a land trip. It is a huge investment of your time. Considering that you were hoping to actually go inside some of the telescopes and/or tour inside the facilities (which you won't do except for the public viewing room at the Keck), you may be better off doing something else. VNP is well worth your one port day.

Another however is that if you are set on going to the summit even though you know that you will not go into the telescopes and facilities, then you should do it. It's absolutely spectacular, especially on a clear day, when you can see Haleakala on Maui and you can look across the valley and see Mauna Loa. Do wear long pants and a jacket. It's cool even midday in the summer. In the winter, the road from the Vistors Center to the summit is sometimes closed because of snow. In fact, the last big Kona storm that hit the islands brought "blizzard" conditions to Mauna Kea. Do be prepared for how the altitude affects breathing and perception. Even healthy people sometimes have a less than pleasant reaction to that altitude

beachchick

Thanks everyone, this is great information. Since the odds of a "perfect" day weather-wise are fairly slim in March and it will still be pretty cold (wasn't planning to pack much of a coat), I think we'll pass on it this time. I agree that it's a lot of time to spend on a one day port. This will be our second time to the Big Island. Last time we did the "highlights" tour. I'll look into the VNP tour. We were able to get a great view of the volcanos last time by doing a 2 1/2 hour helicopter tour out of Kona (lands to refuel in Hilo).

What about the Windward Coast and Waterfalls tour?

mithryl: Good choice to save Mauna Kea for another time, preferably a land trip. When you do go back, then go for it and really enjoy it.

I must emphasize that if you've not been to VNP, most of us (not everyone agrees) believe it is the ideal cruise day. If you have been to VNP, then there are several other choices. A tour of the Puna district would be a good choice. DH and I did that as a self-excursion last trip (PoH). OTOH, we had spent 4 days at VNP at Volcano House the year before and had spent one day going up to the summit of Mauna Kea (with the UofH). Certainly you could do the windard coast and waterfalls, but there are other coasts and other waterfalls. There is only one VNP. Even when you can't get to (or there isn't any visible) flowing lava, VNP is worth the whole day. There is so much more to it than "just" any current lava flows. It's breathtaking in many ways and a very powerful experience, IMO.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time.

beachchick

I've pre-reserved an excursion to the Summit of Muana Kea in March, but I'm having second thoughts. Anyone who has done this trip (day time, not sunset)...was it worth it? Did you get to look through any of the observatories telescopes, or was there just a tour of the facilities?:confused: Seems like a long trip up for only 30 minutes at the top. Was it really cold at the top (would I need to pack a heavy jacket)?

I'm considering the Windward Coast and Waterfalls tour as a replacement (although it's even longer), or just a trip to one of the many gardens around Hilo.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Most of the excursions provide jackets and also provide oxygen, which is good at that elevation. It is amazing, on a clear day. March we do get rain - couple of years ago it rained at least a bit every day of the month, even over here on the dry side, so the weather might not be so great.

You don't generally get to go into the observatories at all, and of course, not much to look AT during the day, even if you could. Evening excursions go up to the visitor's center at 9,000 feet, well below the summit.

It is cold up on the summit and right at the moment, we have significant amounts of snow up there, and it can last until early spring sometimes.

Archived