Aloha (Hawaiian) Shirts

Duffyy

On the Diamond Princess they sold some very nice shirts in the shops for $21.99. As the cruise days grew, you saw more and more folks wearing the shirts. Some were bought in port, some on the ship, and some were packed and carried on. I enjoyed watching the number of people wearing the shirts increase each evening in the theater. They looked nice, fit the smart casual code, and were comfortable.

Enjoy!

I brought some with me but since I live 20 minutes from the pier and wear them almost every day that's probably not really helpful.

You don't really need to buy Aloha shirts if you don't like them or don't feel you'd ever wear them back home. It's gotten so that there is enough non-Aloha "resort casual" attire (e.g., Tommy Bahama) available that even we have started to wear it to functions that would have called for a Hawaiian shirt only a few years ago.

If you don't own any but want one or two for the trip, I'd buy them here so they can double as souvenirs of your visit. There are plenty around and you might even find a few made in Hawaii (or at least made by companies with a strong Hawaii tradition).

for men, Wal-Mart has a huge selection of Hawaiian shirts. I bought two at the Wal-Mart in Kahului. They are made in Hawaii. My work has "aloha Fridays" and the unwritten rule is you can't wear a Hawaiian shirt unless it was bought in Hawaii.

Now that I am back, I wish I would have bought a couple more.

We typically buy aloha wear when we're in Hawaii, but we've found some good stuff here at home. OTOH, we live on CA's central coast, so the aloha spirit isn't too far away for us anyway.

The selection, quality, and prices of what you can find in Hawaii is excellent (no kidding; lol). Just don't be "fooled' into shopping at the tourist spots (and the list prices). We always stop at the Sears at Ala Moana (on Oahu) or similar stores on other islands because you can find the same high-quality for much less. My DH is partial to the fine cotton lawn shirts, which can run as much as $90. We've found him some beauties for much less than half that on sale at Sears.

(We have no problem wearing our CA-bought aloha shirts everywhere, including Hawaii.)

beachchick

My DH wears his Aloha shirts for every occasion, whether it's on or off a ship. I like to wear my mu'u mu'us in the summer, especially when the thermometer hits 110+. He has bought most of his at Hilo Hattie's, as he enjoys the Iolani line of shirts (they are more muted than the usual bright Alhoa shirts), but he's also found them here at various hula competitions and, believe it or not, at Mervyn's.

For us, it doesn't matter where you buy the shirts, as long as you buy them with Hawai'i in your heart.

Charlie

On our trip to Hawaii in October, the men were the ones with the aloha spirit when it came to clothing. I didn't see as much aloha wear on the women. Just about every man we saw had on a shirt. We took beachchick advice and got my DH's shirts at Sears at Ala Moana Mall. Huge selection of different brands and good prices.

My DH & I bought matching aloha shirts (3 sets) at home before we left at Ross dress for less. We got em for about $10/ea. We had plenty of opportunities to buy them at all the ports too but we already had our share. We had several months of planning and anticipation of our cruise so we went shopping for the shirts rather than waste our precious time on the islands shopping for clothes.

I bought one (silk) Aloha shirt at Jos. A. Bank - clearance priced at $19.98. Full disclosure - I work at Jos. A. Bank, so I was able to monitor the price quite easily.

Than I bought a second one at Sears in Hilo - a Tori Richards (cotton) Aloha shirt which was marked down to $14.99.

I thought the bargain stuff at Hilo Hattie's did not compare to the Tori Richards shirt at Sears.

We like the Tori Richards cotton lawn shirts too. They are so light and soft. My DH practically lives in his whenever the weather is warm, whether in Hawaii or not. I have several "girlie" aloha-print/aloha-style shirts and a few Tori Richards (and similar) small size men's shirts. Plus, I have a few somewhat fitted aloha print tropical dresses.

The only "problem" is that so many of our clothes need to be hung to dry, rather than tossed in the drier.

beachchick

Archived