Bad Weather

pal123457

Call the airline and see if you can get out on an earlier flight. Many of the airlines in the NE of US are allowing changes with no fees, so call. It is not an easy thing to catch up with a ship. Do you have insurance? If no, then YOU would be responsible for any costs incurred.

Hey Pal-looks like we are on the same cruise. I see you on the meet and mingle. We are flying Air Canada 6:30 flight. What about you? I was in contact with AC today via the travel agent. They said some pretty calming things. We wanted to fly out tomorrow but they were fully booked. The both of then think that there will be delays but should not worry as we will get out. So hopefully it will be the same for you. See you on board.

Oh heavens you aren't flying in the day before? :eek: Coming from the North East Coast we have been delayed so many times during our flights to the ports. Luckily, when we arrive at 10pm at night, instead of 2pm, we aren't missing anything but some time at our hotel.

I wish you the best and hope you can make the ship on time!

Oh heavens you aren't flying in the day before? :eek: Coming from the North East Coast we have been delayed so many times during our flights to the ports. Luckily, when we arrive at 10pm at night, instead of 2pm, we aren't missing anything but some time at our hotel.

I wish you the best and hope you can make the ship on time!

Our travel agent said we would have no problems and it would be a waste of money to do it. Never again will I do this-first lesson is a hard one.

Our travel agent said we would have no problems and it would be a waste of money to do it. Never again will I do this-first lesson is a hard one.

Oh boy. :( Yeah that was seriously some bad advice, especially in the wintertime. It's not like you live close to the port or anything. :(

That's too bad.

Oh boy. :( Yeah that was seriously some bad advice, especially in the wintertime. It's not like you live close to the port or anything. :(

That's too bad.

I think the TA felt bad when I called today to say that we should have gone out day before. She called the airlines, travel insurance company and provided me with lots of advise. What to do about whatever. We are seriously hoping the weatherman is WRONG and it passes us by. Apparently there will be loads of people in the same mess as us if this storms hits everywhere it is calling for. Thank goodness we took out insurance. We pay up front but will get reimbursed. Like I said lesson learned.

Anyone who would say that you would have no problems flying out of the northeast in the wintertime isn't worth his salt as a travel agent or a weather forecaster. I hope that in this case he turns out to be right but I would really question his judgement and travel experience. Travel insurance is well worth the cost any time of the year (you can encounter other problems than weather enroute to your cruise) and flying in early can help minimize but not necessarily eliminate the chances that you could miss the ship.

We were scheduled to fly home from Miami to Boston just yesterday. Our flight was due to depart Miami at 12:20 pm and arrive in Boston around 4pm, which would have had us arriving in Boston at the height of yesterday's storm. Fortunately we were not debarking from a cruise, so we were able to change our flight to one leaving Miami at 7:45 am and getting to Boston around 11am. When we got to our home, the first flakes were just falling. Within half an hour the sky was filled with snowflakes and the ground was already covered. In the end, we got about a foot of snow and today's papers were filled with horror stories of two and three hour afternoon commutes that under normal conditions would have taken a half hour at best. If you can get an earlier flight, it might be well worth the added cost of a hotel.

We are on the 6:30 a.m flight out of Toronto.....I am trusting that Toronto is used to snow, so the plows will be out well in advance. Needless to say, I will be praying to the snow gods tonight! See you there!

are you travelling in from somewhere? Looks like we may have some minor delays. Tracking the storm and it may miss us. Our TA told us that Air Canada flies out first before anyone else. The AC rep told me the same thing. As long as we are in the air by 1:30 we are fine. See Ya:)

Exactly, one reason I no longer book the Westin. No fun missing a connection and spending 8 hours in Newark, when you expected to be on the golf course.

For those flying out of Toronto, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It looks like the areas just south of us are going to get hammered as well as anywhere along the lake shore. If you are flying out of Pearson early Sunday morning you might be OK.

There are a lot of us on these boards who say fly the day before, we do as well but not so much because of weather considerations, but you still could have the same problem. For example, let's say the folks flying out tomorrow flew today instead. A big storm hits today and all flights are cancelled...on Sunday the flights are good to go however there are no seats for the passengers who missed their flights on Saturday; in this instance what good is flying out a day before? The passengers who fly out the day of the cruise make it and the passengers flying out the day before their cruise miss it.

Perhaps this is why the vast majority of passengers flying to their embarkation port fly out the day of the cruise. Either way you are flipping the coin.

That said, it's going to be tough weekend for eastern Canada, the northeast and midwest USA. I hope all make it. :)

Good luck with your flights. This past March, we cruised out of SJU on the Galaxy. The ship delayed our departure time for approx. 3 hours, as the east Coast had a winter storm, and flights were delayed. This allowed for some people to still get on board in SJU. Unfortunately, there were some who caught up with the ship in first port, and those who had to cancel out completely. Even tho it is a good idea to fly in the day before, not all of us have the luxury to do so. Our turn comes in Feb. Let's all hope for the best!

I find it ludicrous that a TA would tell you not to worry when there is such a storm expected. I would certainly not tell my clients that. As a matter of fact I usually suggest strongly that they fly out the day before. At least they have a fighting chance if the weather kicks in.

However it is a problem when clients are taking a land vacation. There is no choice in when they fly. I have clients who are flying out of Pearson this afternoon at 4:05 pm. I believe they will get out OK as the storm isn't really suppose to hit until after dinner (the last I heard).

There is nothing yet down here in Niagara. Any chance it will pass us by. :p

I find it ludicrous that a TA would tell you not to worry when there is such a storm expected. I would certainly not tell my clients that. As a matter of fact I usually suggest strongly that they fly out the day before. At least they have a fighting chance if the weather kicks in.

However it is a problem when clients are taking a land vacation. There is no choice in when they fly. I have clients who are flying out of Pearson this afternoon at 4:05 pm. I believe they will get out OK as the storm isn't really suppose to hit until after dinner (the last I heard).

There is nothing yet down here in Niagara. Any chance it will pass us by. :p

Nope, the penninsula is going to get hammered. Snow might be followed up with a little freezing rain. Geeezzzz...I hate winter and it has arrived early this year, could be long one. :)

Nope, the penninsula is going to get hammered. Snow might be followed up with a little freezing rain. Geeezzzz...I hate winter and it has arrived early this year, could be long one. :)

Oh well, I can dream can't I. :p As long as everyone gets out on their respective flights I'll live with it. (I just wish I was one of them.)

Looks like we are going to get the last 2 years of winter put together this year. Arn't we lucky. I have a couple of weeks (almost) off over Christmas. I guess I'll hibernate as we changed our plans about going away over Christmas. We should have stuck to our original plans. (Still may change our minds if it gets bad enough.)

Marilyn

Archived