Voyage of the Vikings- July 2008

Enchantment 04

We are interested in the Voyage of the Vikings sailing in July 2008. The total cruise length is 35 nights but that is too long. I did see that you can sail the first 17 nights and then disembark in the Netherlands, however, I cannot seem to find the other 18 nights heading back to Boston. Is there a reason why they are not showing this portion of the cruise?

Thanks

I haven't looked this cruise up in a long time, but am a veteran on it---I've done it three times. I know it's always sold as a choice of round-trip, or either of the two segments. Usually the vast majority of the passengers do the full cruise, but there's always a significant number of passengers who (dis)embark at the turn-around port.

btw---this is a great cruise which I recommend highly to anyone looking for more exotic, cool-weather ports. :)

Here's a link to the 35 day R/T as well as the Boston to Rotterdam leg:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/findcruise/viewCruises.do?method=displaySelectedCruises&destination=&departPort=BOS&cruiseShip=MA&cruiseDuration=&departDate=200807

And here's the link to the 18 day, Rotterdam to Boston leg:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/findcruise/viewCruises.do?method=displaySelectedCruises&destination=&departPort=RTM&cruiseShip=MA&cruiseDuration=&departDate=

I am seeing all three on various internet cruise search engines too.

We did the first half, Boston/Rotterdam, in July '05. An amazing cruise, highly recommended. It was then when we met Ruth...maybe you remember us. We were on the same deck: Lower Promenade.

And we did only the first half because we had friends and relatives in the Netherlands & Germany with whom we wanted to visit and a one day port stop in Rotterdam was not sufficient.

I haven't looked at the '08 itinerary; however, we really enjoyed St John's, Nuuk, Reykjavik, Lerwick & four cities in Norway.

We have since done a 6 day non-stop from NYC to Dover with Celebrity, not nearly as interesting, but it got us to the UK much faster. Next Apr, we're booked on the NOORDAM for 18 days from NYC to Rome....more southerly than in '05 and we anticipate some warmer weather.

Not that all was great every day in '05. From St John's to Nuuk, the seas were at 25 feet and the ship was MOVING. I recall a quiet afternoon in the cabin with my friend, Gravol.

Prince Christian Sound at the southern tip of Greenland...if the conditions hold and you get through there...this is a spectacular spot for seeing icebergs...up close.

All in all, a trip worth taking.

Harvey & Marianne

It was then when we met Ruth...maybe you remember us.

I absolutely remember you! :) It was a pleasure sailing with you; I'd love to run into you on another -dam ship some day.

I hope you're both doing well.

Archived