Please Encourage me about the Serenade

petesweet

We are going on the Serenade for a B2B Alaska and Hawaii. (I know - lucky me!!!) I have read so many nice things about her, and I know I will enjoy these cruises. My problem? I LOVE Explorer of the Seas! I was blown away by her in September/October--the Promenade, the ice show, etc. And lately I've been indulging myself by reading comments about her. I shouldn't do that. Will I be disappointed in the Serenade (for 28 days)?

I don't know. I guess it depends on what interests you. We like Serenade much better than Mariner. We sailed Serenade Hawaii last year, Serenade Alaska this year, and will be sailing Serenade thrrough the Canal this spring.

We sailed Mariner to try a Voyager class ship and found that we didn't particularly care for it. We missed all the glass and the everywhere views of the ocean. We didn't like the numerous, but shrunken size venues. We didn't care for the mall aka Royal Promenade. The ice skating show was neat, once.

I'm glad we went on Mariner, it seems like a great resort for families. We just found that we prefer the Radiance and Vision classes. Your interests, preferences and experiences may vary. :)

I will take your place without even thinking about it. I have been on the Explorer and I would take the Serenade. While the Explorer is beautiful I love all the glass on and the covered solarium on the Serenade. I felt closed in the promenade.

First of all, the Explorer is on one of our favorite ships. It used to be our favorite ship until we went on the Serenade. The Serenade is just awesome! We love all the windows and that is the point of the Radiance class ships, to be outward looking. The Voyager class ships are more of an inward looking class of ships. There are tons of activities and the ship is 90,000 tons so it's not like you are reverting back to a dingy sized ship. :p

I did a review on the Serenade last December. You can view it here - Serenade of the Seas Review There are links to photos as well.

Here is a direct link to photos of the ship - Serenade of the Seas Photos

I've been on both ships. I've sailed the Explorer twice and sailing her again in July (couldn't resist being so close to Bayonne).

Anyway, I LOVE both ships but we did miss the promenade on Serenade even though we had a very port intense sailing from San Juan.

We didn't think we would, but my family of 4 did miss it at night.

I would definately sail on the Serenade again but if I had to pick one negative for us, it would be the absence of the promenade. There really wasn't any other negative.

Enjoy your cruises...yes, you are very lucky!

First of all, the Explorer is on one of our favorite ships. It used to be our favorite ship until we went on the Serenade. The Serenade is just awesome! We love all the windows and that is the point of the Radiance class ships, to be outward looking. The Voyager class ships are more of an inward looking class of ships. There are tons of activities and the ship is 90,000 tons so it's not like you are reverting back to a dingy sized ship. :p

I did a review on the Serenade last December. You can view it here - Serenade of the Seas Review There are links to photos as well.

Here is a direct link to photos of the ship - Serenade of the Seas Photos

Very encouraging. DH thought the Explorer was too big, so he might be thrilled with Serenade. I'll be happy with anything, but I did fall head over heels in love with Explorer! Thanks, everyone, for these comments.

I am still about 3 mos. from my first Voyager class cruise, but I want to encourage you to get excited about the Radiance class--if what you are looking for is an elegant, fully equipped luxurious cruise ship with plenty of activities, venues, and all the ways in the world to enjoy the views of being on a ship at sea. As previously noted, the enclosed solarium is a plus that I was surprised is not part of the Voyager/Freedom classes, and it opens up on gorgeous days. As for the ice shows, while I expect I'll go, I've been to National Figure Skating championships and seen many competitions and shows in person with legendary olympic and world champions, on a full sized surface, so I will not expect to be blown away, but I am sure it is entertaining. We travel with DS who will be 12, and he has had two great cruises on a Radiance as a 9 and 10 year old, and we are intrigued by "the mall", but can't imagine that having most of the same shops and venues arranged otherwise on a ship, but without the parade, will be that much of a loss, if at all (we've studied photos of the promenade, and some of the decorations/figures/statues sort of detract).

They're both great classes of ships, with much to offer, and the Radiance class is certainly a first class ship all around. Add in your destinations and the 28 days of enjoyment, and again, all those magnificent views, and wow, wish I had the time/$$ to sign up with you!

l2bcruzn,

so glad to read your review. I had not gone backwards that far and read all the old reviews. We are taking our first ever cruise next Nov and will do the serenade out of Old San Juan. We stay in comfort inns when traveling here at home and have free nights coming. We had considered staying there pre cruise, but I had never found anyone that had been there. I am glad you put that in your review. I was a little leary about it and now will look for something else. Thanks for the tip.

Depends on your tastes, Pete, but out of 13 cruises, the Serenade is our absolute favorite ship. Just beautful from top to bottom, and we're looking to cruise her (or any of her Radiance sisters) very soon. We've done the Voyager class and only stepped foot in the ice rink once, just to see it, so we do not feel that we missed anything. Enjoy, because I know you will!

I am still about 3 mos. from my first Voyager class cruise, but I want to encourage you to get excited about the Radiance class--if what you are looking for is an elegant, fully equipped luxurious cruise ship with plenty of activities, venues, and all the ways in the world to enjoy the views of being on a ship at sea. As previously noted, the enclosed solarium is a plus that I was surprised is not part of the Voyager/Freedom classes, and it opens up on gorgeous days. As for the ice shows, while I expect I'll go, I've been to National Figure Skating championships and seen many competitions and shows in person with legendary olympic and world champions, on a full sized surface, so I will not expect to be blown away, but I am sure it is entertaining. We travel with DS who will be 12, and he has had two great cruises on a Radiance as a 9 and 10 year old, and we are intrigued by "the mall", but can't imagine that having most of the same shops and venues arranged otherwise on a ship, but without the parade, will be that much of a loss, if at all (we've studied photos of the promenade, and some of the decorations/figures/statues sort of detract).

They're both great classes of ships, with much to offer, and the Radiance class is certainly a first class ship all around. Add in your destinations and the 28 days of enjoyment, and again, all those magnificent views, and wow, wish I had the time/$$ to sign up with you!

Well, you certainly encouraged me in my choice. Let me encourage you in yours. The best part of the Promenade, in my opinion, is the cafe. It's a real treat at any time of the day or night.

Be sure to try the onion rings at the Seaview. Even if you don't normally eat this type of food, try them.

And yes, there is a movie theater, but it is small so get there early.

If you need a WOW while on the Serenade, go up to deck 12 to the Crown and Anchor lounge and look down through the glass circle in the middle.

We are going on the Serenade in March. My wife loves to put the miles on while walking around the promenade deck. Some have posted that they missed the promenade on the Serenade. Are we talking about the same promenade that is outside, used for walking, and goes all the way around the ship? If the Serenade doesn't have this, my wife will be very disappointed.

The Serenade does have a promenade deck, including stairs that take you up to the helicopter pad in the bow of the ship. But for walking purposes she is better off going up to the jogging/walking track which I believe is on deck 12.

We are going on the Serenade in March. My wife loves to put the miles on while walking around the promenade deck. Some have posted that they missed the promenade on the Serenade. Are we talking about the same promenade that is outside, used for walking, and goes all the way around the ship? If the Serenade doesn't have this, my wife will be very disappointed.

No, the Royal Promenade on the Explorer is an elegant interior mall with a lovely sidewalk cafe. Granted, you can't see the seas from there, so you have to enjoy the water from a different place. Very different from the promenade deck (which we make use of regularly).

I am looking forward to all the places for viewing the water.

No, the Royal Promenade on the Explorer is an elegant interior mall with a lovely sidewalk cafe. Granted, you can't see the seas from there, so you have to enjoy the water from a different place. Very different from the promenade deck (which we make use of regularly).

I am looking forward to all the places for viewing the water.

We have the same dilemma. We are really looking forward to our Panama cruise on the Brilliance in January. We have already sailed on the Serenade so know what to expect. We love the glass and the beauty of the Radiance class ships, however, will miss the Cafe Promenade the most. It's a great place to sit and people watch, have a snack, etc.

Enjoy your cruises!

Nancy

We are going on the Serenade for a B2B Alaska and Hawaii. (I know - lucky me!!!) I have read so many nice things about her, and I know I will enjoy these cruises. My problem? I LOVE Explorer of the Seas! I was blown away by her in September/October--the Promenade, the ice show, etc. And lately I've been indulging myself by reading comments about her. I shouldn't do that. Will I be disappointed in the Serenade (for 28 days)?

I'm putting your 28 day B2B on my Christmas wish list! :rolleyes:

Trust me...you don't want to do Alaska on on a Voyager class ship! That's one trip when you want lots of glass and on the Radiance class ships that is what you get. From any public area you will have a beautiful view. Serenade is our absolute favorite ship and loved her when we sailed to Hawaii. Alaska is our favorite port. This May we will be doing both our favorites together for the 14 day Ultimate Alaska on Serenade! That puts a smile on my face just thinking about it. :)

Enjoy your cruise and we'd love to hear a reveiw when you get back.

Trudy

Archived