Conch Shells & Food!

bigwuhead

I'll be in Grand Turk on 1/3 and I'm wondering if there are any good places to eat a late lunch/early dinner that serve Conch...

And Also... i know Turks is known for the Conch shells that wash up. Is is frowned upon to pick one or two up and take them home? Although i've heard horror stories about people grabbing ones with conchs still living in them, i'd like to add to my collection? But I'm also leary if it's not accepted.

Thanks,

Cristina

I'll be in Grand Turk on 1/3 and I'm wondering if there are any good places to eat a late lunch/early dinner that serve Conch...

And Also... i know Turks is known for the Conch shells that wash up. Is is frowned upon to pick one or two up and take them home? Although i've heard horror stories about people grabbing ones with conchs still living in them, i'd like to add to my collection? But I'm also leary if it's not accepted.

Thanks,

Cristina

We saw numerous conch shells while snorkeling at Governor's Beach. We found several shells that had no conchs residing in them, and I know a few passengers took them back on board, but we were told in advance not to bring them back..............

Thanks,

Cristina

The ships dock at a private facility that Carnival has constructed. As I recall from 18 months ago the only place to eat was Margurittaville. (sp)

As far as conch shells, I think the problem with trying to bring them back is the USDA. They are all over the island but since they have not been cleaned or processed are probably considered like fresh fruit and that type thing. I would check with customs or the USDA to be sure before I made the effort to bring any back.

• 4 weeks later...

If you get of the ship walk down the beach to the right (away from Margaritaville) go around the tip which is an easy 15 min walk. There are conch shells everywhere! Go out into the water to find unbroken ones.

We brought three back with no problem. They went thru the security scanner to get back on the ship with no problem and we packed them in our checked bags. You can actually buy them from vendors around the pier. Be sure to wash them good and pack them in a zip-lock bag until you get home. :)

I found great conch island specials just up the beach about 2 ship lengths. A small bar and restaurant serving conch chowder, conch fritters, and cracked conch. I recommend the cracked conch away from the crowds and reasonable prices.

Ditto.

Archived