HAL and swim diapers

6rugrats

Just an update on the swim diaper debate. Holland America does indeed allow swim diapers in the pool - at least on the Zuiderdam! I was totally shocked to read this in the information we received when we boarded. However, I did not see anyone taking an infant into the pool and I don't "do" public pools anyway.

I know that there are several pools on Zuiderdam. There is a freshwater pool which the kids can use and then a saltwater aft pool (for adults only). I thought no cruise line permitted diapers in the main pool- perhaps they had to make an exception- since adults now wear swim diapers.

Kind of gross when you think about it! Guess I'll swim in the least crowded pool since I am going on there in July and will undoubtedly swim from time to time.

Note to self- keep head above water and take shower immediately after using pool!

I know that there are several pools on Zuiderdam. There is a freshwater pool which the kids can use and then a saltwater aft pool (for adults only). I thought no cruise line permitted diapers in the main pool- perhaps they had to make an exception- since adults now wear swim diapers.

Kind of gross when you think about it! Guess I'll swim in the least crowded pool since I am going on there in July and will undoubtedly swim from time to time.

Note to self- keep head above water and take shower immediately after using pool!

Well, there is the Lido pool, the one where they can open and close the roof, and the Sea View pool, which is aft. No pool was designated adults only, and there were children in both, though the Lido pool was the most crowded. I did not look closely at the Lido pool, just walked by, but the Sea View pool has very shallow edges where a young child could have fun splashing. Hopefully, a young potty trained child!

There was no mention about adult diapers, just that swim diapers had to be used in the pool, no regular diapers were allowed. This was in reference to the main pools.

We were on the November 24 Zuiderdam sailing and had read in our pre-cruise research that swim diapers were not allowed, and we were fully prepared to not let our 3 year old and 19 month old in the pools. We took a small inflatable pool, blew it up, put it out on our balcony, filled it with warm water with our ice bucket and let them splash around in that a couple of days. We also saw in our literature in the room where swim diapers were only allowed in the mid-ship pool. I was astonished, but very happy. The next morning, I was up early and walking around the ship. One of the crew was checking the pool water, and I went up and asked him about the conflicting information. He told me that swim diapers were NOT ALLOWED in ANY pool on the ship and that the in-cabin literature was wrong. I suggested to him that they remove it from the cabins, and he said that they planned to.

Archived