Need Help with a Skagway Train Excursion

SantaMonicaLinda

Thanks for any help/info you can toss my way...

Perhaps someone has actually been on one of these tours and knows....We're trying to make a choice between these 2 excusions in Skagway...

They both look the same in the description, but they are different durations and prices.

What is the difference between the 2 excusions listed below. One seems to be an hour longer but 20 dollars less. One leaves 3 times during the day, and the other leaves just once.

:rolleyes: 1. (SK48) White Pass Summit Club : 2 hrs/30 min - $129/person - 4:15 PM departure

:) 2. (SK01) White Pass Scenic Railway : 3 hrs/30 min - $110/person - 8AM/12:40PM/4:15PM departures

I called the Excursion Desk at RCCI, but they seemed to be as confused as I am...

Thanks

Here's the 2008 train schedule for the roundtrip train: http://www.wpyr.com/schedule.html Both excursions are roundtrip, and the 4:30 train is 30 minutes shorter in duration than the earlier trains, even if you do the #2 option. Check the food service on the "Club" excursion - as that may be the only difference.

If it is a summit excursion, they all go the same route up and down.

If it is a summit excursion, they all go the same route up and down.

I know, and that's why I said both were roundtrip. I think the only difference is any food that might be included. The 4:30 train is going to be shorter whether it's with option 1 or 2.

IF you click on the tour name, you get a more detailed description, although the Summit club does not give the miles, which with an hour less time, I don't see how it can make a round trip summit trip??

I suggest you contact the White Pass RR directly and inquire the actual milepost it gets to. Otherwise, contact Murray- he should know http://www.explorenorth.com

According to the railroad's web site posted above, the roundtrip trains leave at 8:15, 12:45, and 4:30 - hence the excursions begin at 8:00, 12:30, and 4:15. The 4:30 roundtrip train takes 2.5 hours, whereas the other trains take 3 hours. Why? Maybe less "traffic" on the tracks later in the afternoon? I'm sure Murray would know the answer. Both excursions are the same roundtrip train to the summit. Those taking the regular summit excursion on the 4:30 train will have the same shorter trip as those doing the Summit Club. Looking at the description of that excursion, the difference is that the Summit Club excursion includes a "toast" at the summit and a brass ornament: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=00005FGGlWw-W_FCyCoG2V7YqqR:12hbioan0?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=RD07A014&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=SK48&DestinationCode=

Archived