My LAST NCL Cruise!

dvrdude

also sailed the Dec. 2-9. will have to agree the beds are hard as a rock.

was in room 9088 balcony. thought the food was great, and the ship was clean. met some nice staff and some you could tell that did'nt want to be there. overall nice cruise, but I will not cruise on that ship again simply because the bed was so uncomfortable

you can, always, ask for a egg crate. i was on the Dec 2 - 9 cruise (spirit), i was going to ask for the egg crate, but our bed had a extra pillow top padding on it, it was very comfortable.

the pillow top padding was separate from the mattress, it's a topper of some kind, sure made for some good sleeping.

I'm sorry you didn't feel you received a value for your vacation dollar. I am more relieved you will not be on our next NCL cruise from how you have described your interpersonal skills (or lack of same). A bad cruise is a miserable experience. We've had our own, none on NCL, so I appreciate a candid review. However, I become concerned about reviews when the reviewer is not in control of their own emotions, such as your beer story described.

BTW, how much did you pay per person?

WOW--how rude.........How terrible of you to ask what the OP paid-fast answer--NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

No room for opinions differing from yours?? I've cruised a lot of lines, my last NCL, and I can tell you NCL will NOT be among the lines I will choose again. Lots of cruise lines offer much more. MHO.......Different Strokes for Differnet Folks!!

WOW--how rude.........How terrible of you to ask what the OP paid-fast answer--NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

No room for opinions differing from yours?? I've cruised a lot of lines, my last NCL, and I can tell you NCL will NOT be among the lines I will choose again. Lots of cruise lines offer much more. MHO.......Different Strokes for Differnet Folks!!

and you forget, it is your opinion only. It is obvious your opinion is different from some, but what did you find rude, what is wrong with asking a question about how much someone paid for a cruise, most people love to let the world know what good deals they got, you might be the one a bit out of line here. You didnt' like your cruise, you think other lines are superior, good for you, why are you hanging out on this thread if you do not intend on cruising NCL again?

\

\Nita

theres a few people on here that think its the best ship ever, but they are the minority. the ship needs a lot of everything, INCLUDING A CRUISE DIRECTOR.

Okay, we get it.

You hated your cruise.

I'm sorry. We were on the same cruise and LOVED it!!

I don't agree that the people that liked it are in "the minority"... It seems to me that it's more of us that liked it than not...!

-Sarah

also sailed the Dec. 2-9. will have to agree the beds are hard as a rock.

was in room 9088 balcony. thought the food was great, and the ship was clean. met some nice staff and some you could tell that did'nt want to be there. overall nice cruise, but I will not cruise on that ship again simply because the bed was so uncomfortable

We e-mailed the ship's coordinator beforehand and asked for egg crates. Our beds were comfy (sorry yours weren't.)

I would say that they should have them available for ALL the rooms as I bet the beds would have been too hard without them!

-Sarah

We e-mailed the ship's coordinator beforehand and asked for egg crates. Our beds were comfy (sorry yours weren't.)

-Sarah

OK, what's an egg crate? I'm on the Spirit in a few days, and I have a hard enough time sleeping on the bed that my wife bought a year ago...

actually, i was just checking on the reviews posted on the member's review for the spirit and some other ships...seem to be some pretty good ones, including mine.

not everyone hates NCL or has a bad time on their ships...my review is linked in my signature if you want to check it out?:D

Whom do I contact regarding the egg crate? Is it the same person that handled my bar set up? If a bed is too hard for me, an egg crate doesn't usually make any difference, but I'm never opposed to trying! I think I've heard that the beds on the Star are great, though... Toyz? Am I remembering correctly that you loved the beds on the Star? :)

I've pretty much made a decision tonight to bring a memory foam mattress topper with me. If I end up not being able to sleep because my back hurts, I'm not going to be a happy camper, so I would rather be safe than sorry. We was a 3" memory foam one listed at overstock for $60, so I am probalby going to end up ordering that.

i have 2 hernated disks, arthur-ists in the neck and running up and down my back....and a surgeon waiting for me to say "yes" to surgery. plus i can go a full year with not sleeping before 4am..(it's a age thing)

that being said, i loved the bedding and bed on the star. but we were in alaska and kept the balcony door open. the wonderful sounds of the ship/water and the cool, cool air was great.

the spirit is made for the asian market, yes, their beds may be hard for some of us...but mine was fine. never had a problem sleeping and didn't wake up stiff or in pain.

the person to ask is the room steward when you get on the ship, you might be able to call or email and ask..but i don't know if they can do anything other then make a note on your reservation. usually a little tip incentive will help the room stewards find one. if that doesn't work, go to the customer service desk and tell them your health issues.

With respect to the "Lobsky-gate" I understood that the girl at restraunt reservations did not know about TXG. I think they should probably train all staff and crew to say "Hoppy Thanksgiving" to their American passengers and give them a 5 minute blurb on what, if anything, they are doing different to accomodate the holiday.

In this "politically correct" world....that may NOT be permitted:(

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I not Married to a power point presentation for menus. A menu by the screen would be a good start. I understand that all of the menus are posted on TV on some of NCL's newer ships. That would be best from our perspective.

Posting the menus on the TV is a GREAT idea.

We have found that:

even though I do not eat lobster so could care less...we, many times, have heard passengers ask the hostess at a restaurant "what night is lobser night" and they always know. Just a tip.

We have stayed in a few suites on NCL where the (main restaurant) menus are in your suite in a book. Great system. However, the menus are in day order..for example Sunday to Sunday on a seven day cruise and more menus for longer cruises...but, previous cruisers have taken out a page (easily) and/or mixed them up in the book.

The menus do not state the day of the week so you read them -in order- thinking it will start with the first day of your cruise...which it should.

I'm sure the butlers and/or room stewards do not have the time on "turn around" day to check all of this.

Sometimes the system is great but the many passengers screw it up.

Happy cruising:)

OK, what's an egg crate? I'm on the Spirit in a few days, and I have a hard enough time sleeping on the bed that my wife bought a year ago...

Try emailing shipcoordinatorspirit@NCLcom and request an egg crate from you room steward when you board.

They will certainly be on your deck with their carts.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

and you forget, it is your opinion only. It is obvious your opinion is different from some, but what did you find rude, what is wrong with asking a question about how much someone paid for a cruise, most people love to let the world know what good deals they got, you might be the one a bit out of line here. You didnt' like your cruise, you think other lines are superior, good for you, why are you hanging out on this thread if you do not intend on cruising NCL again?

\

\Nita

GO NITA!!!:)

Whom do I contact regarding the egg crate? Is it the same person that handled my bar set up? If a bed is too hard for me, an egg crate doesn't usually make any difference, but I'm never opposed to trying! I think I've heard that the beds on the Star are great, though... Toyz? Am I remembering correctly that you loved the beds on the Star? :)

Shipcoordinatorstar@NCL.com

and ask your cabin steward when you board:)

Man! say something bad about our line & watch out - 117 posts in a few days - wow - The Roll Calls I'm watching: we can't drag that many responses out over the past 6 months.

Everyone should make sure they read the NCL Press Release re: Freestyle 2. - Lobster everyday!! (I don't care for seafood) 4lbs Porterhouse Steaks - I'll bet they'll pay attention to how you want that baby cooked! You wouldn't want too many of those cows coming back as "overdone please bring me my medium rare like I asked!!" & as for hovering waiters bugging you to drink up - I think "drink flags on all lounges" will look after that problem. Gee... Maybe NCL is reading these boards - or listening to OP, or written comments - a billion dollars - more food $s per cruiser - up graded bedding... WOW - sure glad I'm booked with NCL this year - really going to enjoy these perks - esp on the 13 days from my stern facing mini suite on the JADE. You get out of it what you put into it... "Could you please change the bedding - we had a bit of an accident" (either verbally or in writing) might of received a more positive response than " she could at least clean the sheets?) LOL which do you think I'd use if I wanted something done without really pissing off the help!!!? Have a good day & Merry Christmas To ALL - I'm getting to be in a giddy mood as my NCL cruising days are getting closer - & I'll be away from this white stuff

actually, i was just checking on the reviews posted on the member's review for the spirit and some other ships...seem to be some pretty good ones, including mine.

not everyone hates NCL or has a bad time on their ships...my review is linked in my signature if you want to check it out?:D

That was fun to read, balanced, and educational (yes, it taught the reader something of value). I had a ball reading it point by point from a negative point of view. When you said something took only 5 minutes, someone else would said, "It took five minutes to get that handled! Why can't they get their act together?!!!:mad:

Just got off the Dec 9th-17th on the Spirit. What a mistake--the getting on board part, not the getting off. This was the first time I was actually ready for the cruise to be over before it was over. Maybe DW and I spoiled ouselves from the beginning (all previous cruises on HAL), but this cruise was the WORST! The ship is showing its age and NCL apparently isn't too concerned about it. The carpet is literally coming apart at the seams in several locations, and I suppose this will get fixed after a PAX trips on the up-turned edges and bashes their melon into a bulkhead, but apparently not before.

The food was IMHO, mediocre at best for those of us who opted not to be nickle and dimed for the "real" restaurants. The staff, with a few exceptions, ranged in attitude from cold fish to downright surly. Especially if you didn't let them brow-beat you into purchasing all the drinks they were PUSHING, and I do mean pushing. I almost got into verbal fisticuffs with a young drink slinger because I only wanted one beer, not a bucket. I thought I knew that all I wanted at the time was one beer, but she spent the next 5 minutes, or so, trying to explain to me that I really wanted a bucket of 6. Sheesh! :mad:

The beds (a la Rob and Laura Petrie) in our state room were, I believe rejects from Gitmo. My back spasms even now thinking about them.

I could drone on and on, but feel I should commence donning my asbestos speedo.:D

We returned 12/9, from a 9 day cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. The ship is beautiful, our balcony room was nice and so was the buffet. From there it went downhill.

Our last two cruises were on Celebrity and they were great.

It appears that NCL is trying to save money by cutting the quality of their service and food! The free dinning rooms were just awful. The appetizers were a joke. On Celebrity you could have steak, salmon, escargot & shimp cocktail everynight. The closest thing to shrimp we saw were those little canned shrimp you make salad from, and they had steak & prime rib only one night. You could get a good meal if you used the pay dinning, that is if you could get a reservation. We tried to get a reservation for the Italian Restaruant without success until we went to a Ship's Officer.

The dinning service was terrrible with long waits between courses even though the Restaruant was not full. One night it took us two hours to eat with a thirty minute wait between courses. It appears the the Free Style Dinning is creating a problem with the wait staff. There is no incentive to give good service because the same waiters will only wait on you one time!

Two out of the nine nights our room was not turned down and the room service was poor.

We purchased liquor and on the last night of the cruise went to pick it up and there were approx. 75/100 people in line with one cashier. Our other cruises booze was delivered to our room.

Even with these problems I enjoyed the overall trip. It's hard not to like cruising, but in my opinion we can do much better at the same price on Celebrity, RCL, or Princess.

as for hovering waiters bugging you to drink up - I think "drink flags on all lounges" will look after that problem.

I can see the next set of complaints now....

"I had my drink flag up for 15 minutes and no one noticed... my cruise was ruined!"

If the reservations staff is going to tell passengers what meals will be served what night, shouldn't that info be accurate?

The only reason I can imagine for wrong advise on the menu would be "they ran out" but that is pretty unlikely. Yes, you should be given the correct menu if you are choosing a dining room for the menu selection. Did you ask, what happened? I certainly would have asked, if I am expecting Lobster and the entrees consist of pork chops, hamburgers and tongue I think I would be rather upset. LOL

NIta

The two main restaurants share the same menu each night. The menus are POSTED in the hallways in front of the entrances and can be viewed all afternoon long. It is not hard to stop as you are passing one of them to glance at the menu for the evening sometime during the day. The specialty restaurant menus are the same every night.

OK, so there were 3 or 4 other items on the menu, change your entree. Not a big deal. Ask your server for an alternative... there are always standard items you can order (like a grilled chicken breast or something) if nothign else on the menu appeals to you.

Ok, I need to jump in here and talk about the POH. The menus for the dining room were listed on the TV. Every night there were a few items that were wrong on the menu. On the fourth night I asked the front desk about it. At which time they showed me the menu they had for that night --- their menu was NOT the same one as the restaurant. They also had no idea that I could see the menu on the TV. That same night they ran out of the "always available" fish (I can't remember what it was). On the 5th day we were not able to access the menu on our TV so we went downstairs to look at the glass case. We then went to dinner only to find that the menu did NOT match the one displayed in the front case. The last night we had our butler bring us a menu so we could have dinner in our room. I ordered a melon cup, and the pork tenderloin. When the butler came back he told us that the restaurant was not offering either one.

So, yes, they DO run out of items, and no it also does not help to go look at the menu before you dine if it is always WRONG.

Colin Veitch is still the CEO of NCLA, and it is still part of the NCL website; therefore, it shouldn't matter that its really "another line" like I have read from others. If they truly only have the same parent company than there should be different websites -- Princess and Carnival are owned by the same company - two different websites. Same scenario with RCI and Celebrity.

Ok, I need to jump in here and talk about the POH. The menus for the dining room were listed on the TV. Every night there were a few items that were wrong on the menu. On the fourth night I asked the front desk about it. At which time they showed me the menu they had for that night --- their menu was NOT the same one as the restaurant. They also had no idea that I could see the menu on the TV. That same night they ran out of the "always available" fish (I can't remember what it was). On the 5th day we were not able to access the menu on our TV so we went downstairs to look at the glass case. We then went to dinner only to find that the menu did NOT match the one displayed in the front case. The last night we had our butler bring us a menu so we could have dinner in our room. I ordered a melon cup, and the pork tenderloin. When the butler came back he told us that the restaurant was not offering either one.

So, yes, they DO run out of items, and no it also does not help to go look at the menu before you dine if it is always WRONG.

Colin Veitch is still the CEO of NCLA, and it is still part of the NCL website; therefore, it shouldn't matter that its really "another line" like I have read from others. If they truly only have the same parent company than there should be different websites -- Princess and Carnival are owned by the same company - two different websites. Same scenario with RCI and Celebrity.

there are always things that need to be worked on. I was just checking my edocs and found two mistakes.(one was that there was an offset on some information so the ctz, ins and lat status lined up wrong and that the code section that they cited as ? can't be right....I wish they made it easier to let them know about these issues...like the menus as they can be easily(?) fixed.

Here we go again with they are on the same web site so they are one and the same, if you’ve done one, you’ve done them all. It doesn’t matter that one is American flagged with American crew, and the other is foreign flagged with an International crew.

So if I go to GM, with all their different divisions, same principle, and buy a Chevy, I can say I’ve done GM so I know what driving a Caddy is like.

Just like a Chevy is not like a Caddy, NCLA is not like NCL. They are a different product. Only the concept is the same. Chevy and Caddy are both cars. NCLA and NCL both have ships run with freestyle.

Even if they were the same company, it would be like saying I could buy either decaf or regular Folger’s coffee and it doesn’t matter. They’re made by the same company so they are both just alike.

Man! say something bad about our line & watch out - 117 posts in a few days - wow - The Roll Calls I'm watching: we can't drag that many responses out over the past 6 months.

Everyone should make sure they read the NCL Press Release re: Freestyle 2. - Lobster everyday!! (I don't care for seafood) 4lbs Porterhouse Steaks - I'll bet they'll pay attention to how you want that baby cooked! You wouldn't want too many of those cows coming back as "overdone please bring me my medium rare like I asked!!" & as for hovering waiters bugging you to drink up - I think "drink flags on all lounges" will look after that problem. Gee... Maybe NCL is reading these boards - or listening to OP, or written comments - a billion dollars - more food $s per cruiser - up graded bedding... WOW - sure glad I'm booked with NCL this year - really going to enjoy these perks....

Just read this and have resolved to rebook the Spirit if I can get confirmation that 2.0 will be in place prior to next fall.

I'm sure these changes are the result of all the positive comments and reviews NCL has recieved.

(Tongue firmly in cheek).

Now, if I could just trust the people in account applications to do their job when i send in my compass rewards....

Archived