Vaccinations for Eastern Caribbean

jadexx

I hope this isnt a stupid question, but I see on the princess website that I need to get any needed vaccinations before my cruise, I dont know if there is anything required to go to the eastern caribbean? If so What do i need to get and do i need to bring some sort of documentation that its been done, or just sign that iv had them?

thansk so much!

:confused:

You don't need any specific vaccinations for this area of the world. It's always good from time to time to talk wtth your doctors office about your travel plans to see if they recommend any vaccinations but none are required for the caribbean.

Keith

The others are right: you don't need vaccinations for an Eastern Caribbean itinerary. If you were going to Panama or Brazil, that would be different. As has been said, it's a good idea to make sure your tetanus shots are updated but you'd want that for the U.S. in any case.

If you have any questions, go to the CDC website where you can find all of the latest information and vaccination suggestions for the countries you'll be visiting.

Also consider Hepatitis A and if possible Hepatitis B as a precaution. Hepatitis B is given over a extended period of time with blood drawn to check and see if your body needs additional boosters. Tetanus should be done every 10 years regardless on whether one travels outside the US.

But to answer your specific question. No you do not need any required vacinations.

Keep in mind that you will probably not be allowed to donate blood for a period of 1 year after returning from your trip.

I checked with our doctor told him we were going to Eastern Caribbean, he said no as long as I was current on my Hepatitis A & B shots. We never had those shots so we got the series of three shots and now we are good. I would go on your doctors advice.

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

Blood donation can indeed be a problem, particularly if you are honest on your questionair.

In 2005, I was denied donation because I had been on the NCL Sea for a stop at Honduras. The ARC required at least 12 months after that visit.

Today I donated blood, but got the third degree because of a stop in Agadir, Morocco while on the Celibrity Century. It took an extra 45 minutes to get telephone approval from who knows where.

here is the list showing what blood donations are excluded.

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html

Note that if you lived in western Europe for more than a certain period of time you may be permanently excluded. Honduras, Haiti and the DR have time limited exclusions because of Malaria.

There are about 50 deaths from Tetanus in the US every year from about 500 cases. There are about 200,000 deaths world wide. like Polio this is a disease that can be wiped out through vaccination.

Im a 11 gallon Red Cross blood donor, I've been giving blood now for almost 20 years, I would NEVER EVER jeopardize ANYONE by giving my blood if I felt there was ANY question whether it was safe or not. The idea that I or anyone else cannot give blood for 1 year after coming back from a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean is TRULY LAUGHABLE!!! AMAZING!!!!! Please dont post nonsense like that. It's the Holidays and the Red Cross needs as many donors as they can get right now I was due to donate the day I left for my cruise in Nov. and couldnt simply because I didnt have the time, Im headed over to donate on Friday, the Red Cross called me 3 times while is was gone needing MY blood. Please dont post inaccurate information such as this, what a shame. Whats happened to these boards over the last 4-5 years is VISIBLY sad much less embarrassing. Later Todd

We sail multiple cruises each year, so I know ... I have been rejected as a blood donor by the Red Cross due to islands we've visited on various cruises. Every since the first time I was rejected, I carry a list of each port we've visited and the dates, because having the exact date matters. If donating blood is important to a cruiser, a pre-cruise purchase check with the Red Cross is recommended!

There are about 50 deaths from Tetanus in the US every year from about 500 cases. There are about 200,000 deaths world wide. like Polio this is a disease that can be wiped out through vaccination.

for comparison purposes there were 6 shark deaths in 2006(in the US, less than a 100 world wide) and 73 deaths by lightening strikes....

Archived