Do you tip the guy that cleans your cabin?

njbrunete

njbrunete,

Your daily service charge / pp (amount and currency varies depending on where your cruise) that is added onto your on board account, is meant as a tip for the crew.

What we have always done is if a crew member (i.e. cabin "boy", bar keeper) did things above and beyond the call of duty is also to tip them personally. I thank them and give the tip to them personally. I find the old fashion way of just leaving an envelop a bit "cold".

Ron

We always leave the auto-tip on the card, but hand the extra tips personally to the staff, especially room steward, butler, waiter & assitant waiter!

They work hard and well deserve the extra tip! I even write a handwritten letter and put it with the extra tip in the envelope, which I'll hand to them personally. Just a special way of saying "thanks"...

If you don't find any envelopes or stationary, simply ask your room steward or butler and he/she will put some in your cabin.

Apparently the "new" Costa system(it is 12 months old) is to levy a SERVICE charge, payable on the ship,This amount varies on the duration of the cruise, our cruise was 26 days and the figure was euros 117 per peson.( euros 4.5 pppd) IT CANNOT BE RESCINDED, only by the American passengers??? go figure why.There is also a "suggested" gratuity figure of upto euros 10 pppd which can be rescinded, if you wish to tip your waiter/ cabin staff separately. The Front desk staff told us this "Service Charge " was to assist the refurbishment of the ship, it was the Hotel Manager who advised its real purpose.So watch out Carnival is allegedly going to roll this system out throughout their fleet.

Archived