No Charge For Specialty Dining - Passengers and TA's were heard!!

Jancruz

Andy...just to add my 2 cents for what it's worth' date=' in a chat with the very accessable Capt. of the Quest, he hinted that more ships of the size of the Quest were in the planning stages, and that even though he had been involved the planning and launching of several Celebrity mega ships (Including the Solstice) and launched the Journey's first months, his heart is with the smaller 700-900 passenger ships and feels the market for such ships is really going to catch on big. He feels they are so much more intimate and warm to passengers,and it's easier to interact with them.:D[/quote']

Hi Napi's Mom !

I agree. We enjoyed our time on Quest. I'd love to see Azamara order additional ships. When I was on Constellation in November, I heard from a high source.... that it's in the works. We will have to wait and see what happens. Stay Tuned !

Greetings, all...

I recently returned from a cruise where the specialty restaurant's staff did NOT share in the waitstaff tip pool. Now this was HAL's Zaandam, but I'm wondering if Azamara is the same? The tables in specialty restaurants also take a lot longer to serve. I had to point-blank ask our waiter what the deal was on that last cruise. Very glad I did. Jini

Greetings, all...

I recently returned from a cruise where the specialty restaurant's staff did NOT share in the waitstaff tip pool. Now this was HAL's Zaandam, but I'm wondering if Azamara is the same? The tables in specialty restaurants also take a lot longer to serve. I had to point-blank ask our waiter what the deal was on that last cruise. Very glad I did. Jini

Hi Jini !

While I could be wrong about this, I was told that the waitstaff in the Specialty Restaurants do NOT share in the Main Dining Room tip pool. However, I do believe that All of the Specialty Dining Room staff do pool their tips amongst their group. I am pretty sure this is the case on both Azamara and Celebrity.

All surcharges for the premium cuts in Prime C and the Wine Pairing Menu

Offering in Aqualina will remain in place

No one has mentioned what are these surcharges all about and how much?? I can see the extra charge for wine, but for premium cuts??

• 2 weeks later...
All surcharges for the premium cuts in Prime C and the Wine Pairing Menu

Offering in Aqualina will remain in place

No one has mentioned what are these surcharges all about and how much?? I can see the extra charge for wine, but for premium cuts??

In Prime C, the surcharge for Kobe-style beef was $8. That's US not Japanese beef. The waiters weren't recommending it, and we didn't try it. But we did have 15 great nights of dining in Prime C, which we never would have done before the surcharge was dropped.

In Prime C, the surcharge for Kobe-style beef was $8. That's US not Japanese beef. The waiters weren't recommending it, and we didn't try it. But we did have 15 great nights of dining in Prime C, which we never would have done before the surcharge was dropped.

Hi Rdowney !

Wow, 15 nights of Dining in Prime C ? I know that specialty dining has the small surcharge for the tip, but was it easy to get reservations for every night of the cruise ? When I was onboard Quest, that wasnt an option.

I loved Prime C. I think I would eat there every night too, but I'd be afraid to check my cholesterol when I returned home :)

Hi Rdowney !

Wow, 15 nights of Dining in Prime C ? I know that specialty dining has the small surcharge for the tip, but was it easy to get reservations for every night of the cruise ? When I was onboard Quest, that wasnt an option.

I loved Prime C. I think I would eat there every night too, but I'd be afraid to check my cholesterol when I returned home :)

We started making reservations one night at a time and soon had a standing reservation. We were willing to eat at 6 or 6:30 before the place got too busy. Since some of our ports had early morning excursions, it worked for us. We had some sea bass and salmon to balance the steaks and chops. There were specials available many nights and the option of ordering from the Aqualina menu.

Prime C clearly had a goal of serving more diners and taking some of the load off Discoveries. We were very willing to help, and there were other regulars as well. The staff was wonderful. Our only regret (until the cholesterol test) is that someone else is enjoying our table tonight.

Hi Again Rdowney !

Thanks for the information. I think we will probably sail on Journey in early 2009, now that she will be in the Caribbean. I am glad to know that it's possible to have most of your meals in the Specialty Restaurants. While I am not sure we would eat every meal there, based on my Prime C experience on Quest, I'd be sure to eat most of my meals at Prime C, or at Aqualina, which we also enjoyed very much.

Hi Folks,

We were on the Quest 14 night Southern Carib at the end of Nov.

We dined at Prime C and a couple times at Aqualina. We had good food and !excellent! service in both.

On our trip there was no problem getting reservations in either. There were very few people at all at any of the times we ate there.

But I'm wondering since they've opened up the Alternative restaurants now, has that had the big positive effect many of us expected and recommended to Azamara???

I'm guessing there's no waiting around for an hour at the main dining now??

We can't wait to cruise Azamara again!!!!!!!!!

Alan & Regina

The extra tip at the specialty restaurant is very reasonable. We have dined many times in the specialty restaurants on the Millenium class ships and on the Century. The service is consistently outstanding and very personal. When you think about the quality of the food and the service and compare it to what you would find in a similar restaurant in one of our major cities, the tip is a bargain, At 20%, a $10 tip would cover a $50 meal... What we have experienced at the other specialty restaurants can't be had here in DC for less than $100 per person....

Are the gratuties paid by cash, envelope, or auto deduct from credit card account ???

In the specialty restaurants, the gratuity is paid using a special form. The $5 per person is suggested, but you fill in the amount. The form also includes the waiters' names and your cabin number. It is, of course, then charged to your account.

Archived