Has anyone dined at Murano recently on Century

dfishner

We were on Century last year and had what I would say was two of the best meals at Murano. I know there was a change with the corp chef. Has the menu changed? Is it still a great restaurant. Am deciding on a short trip and Murano would be the main reason why. thanks for any help you can give me.

Just got off the 17 day Transatlantic. We ate 3 times in Murano, and the food and service are at least as good as the Millennium class ships. The chef came to our table at the end of each meal. Thoroughly enjoyable! In fact our group of 12 decided to eat there the last formal night ( we've seen too many baked Alaska ceremonies!)and they accommodated us by giving us 2 adjacent tables for 6 - the largest table they'll seat.

4 of us dined in the Murano on 12/13/07. The food was fine but for a "blue collar" guy like me I thought that it was too fussy and pretensious. A waitress with an accent so thick that I couldn't understand her explained all of the cheese on her cart (about a dozen) I asked for "Chedder" she said she didn't have any. The salad prepared next to our table wasn't as good as that served in the Dining room. I liked the "pnnicle" on HAL better.

We were also on the 17 day trans-atlantic and ate at Murano twice. We loved the food and the service was excellent.

We received a signed menu from the Murano staff, so if you are interested I can let you know what is available.

Cheers

-Jared-

We were also on the 17 day trans-atlantic and ate at Murano twice. We loved the food and the service was excellent.

We received a signed menu from the Murano staff, so if you are interested I can let you know what is available.

Cheers

-Jared-

What is on the menu? Dh is a Chef but prefers simple steak. Is it hard to get reservation once you board? How many can they seat?

4 of us dined in the Murano on 12/13/07. The food was fine but for a "blue collar" guy like me I thought that it was too fussy and pretensious. A waitress with an accent so thick that I couldn't understand her explained all of the cheese on her cart (about a dozen) I asked for "Chedder" she said she didn't have any. The salad prepared next to our table wasn't as good as that served in the Dining room. I liked the "pnnicle" on HAL better.

My Dh would ask for "Chedder" too. He has a truck drivers license, but works as a Chef.

Cheers

-Jared-

do they still have the 5 course tasting menu? with the wine pairings we had that on our first night and it was incredible.

do they still have the 5 course tasting menu? with the wine pairings we had that on our first night and it was incredible.

Yes they do. It is called their Menu Exceptionnel. We did not try it but here it is:

Course 1: Classic lobster bisque or Tomato, red pepper and fresh mozzarella soup

Course 2: Twice baked goat cheese souffle or Escalope of foie gras "Normandy"

Course 3: Grilled fillet of sea bass or Rack of lamb in puff pastry

Course 4: Cheeses

Course 5: Chocolate Souffle

Petit Fours and Coffee

Someone at our table tried everything on this menu. The lobster bisque and the twice baked goat cheese souffle were real crowd pleasers.

I beleive the cost was $140.00

Hope this helps.

Cheers

-Jared-

We are two of the 4 dining at the Murano on the recent Trans Atlantic Century...we felt the same way..too in your face and almost intrusive to the meal.

We ate at Murano 5 nights of a 10 night cruise in November 2007. The other three nights we ate at the main dining room (once), sushi (once) and casual dining (once). We disembarked 2 days early in Gibraltar (pre-arranged). Now back to Murano! Food and service were very good. Dominic is no longer the Maitre D'. However, Ollie is excellent and in some ways surpasses Mr. Abaya. I highly recommend the Rossini, Chateaubriand and the Steak Diane. The snapper was also good. We had asparagus soup which isn't on the menu but not to be missed. Ollie made us his crepes Suzette too. Delicious! We enjoyed all our meals and would certainly book Murano again when back on the Century.

We dined at Murano on the recent Century TA. Our travel agent treated his group to the dinner and there was a special menu just for our group. The entree's were excellent and the service was good; a little pretentious; however not nearly as over the top as what we had experienced on the Millenium class ships. In my opinion neither is worth the extra money. I also am not inclined to normally spend 2 1/2 hours eating dinner.

We were on Century last year and had what I would say was two of the best meals at Murano. I know there was a change with the corp chef. Has the menu changed? Is it still a great restaurant. Am deciding on a short trip and Murano would be the main reason why. thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi, I just got home from sailing CENTURY and dined there once.

I thought it was wonderful and worth every penney:)

Different strokes for different folks, just like everything in life.

Muranos was fabulous as usual. We dined there every evening. The food was outstanding and the service..... Not enough can be said about Mario and his staff. Simply the best......

Hi,

We are going to be on the 31 January sailing, can I make reservations for dinner at Muranos online before we leave?

Hi,:) Capt's Club members can call 60 days in advance.

So you are leaving next month?:D Have a gret time!

Oh, Capt's Club will take your reservation and will ask you for

2 choices. Since you are sailing in about 30something days from

now you should receive a confirmation within about 2 weeks.

We were also on the Transatlantic sailing recently and dined there 6 times. The food was profoundly better than the main dining room and the service was exceptional. The service is like all the other Millie class restaurants. The current Maitre'D, Cemal, is by far the best we have found on Celebrity. Not only does he provide outstanding service, he is an exceptional leader for the 13 members of the dining room staff.

For the comments about the cheese, they do not serve cheddar in the finer restaurants in France and thankfully they do not serve cheddar in the Murano :-). While Cheddar has it's place, it is not in the same class as the cheese served in Murano.

As for the menu, if you dine there more than once during your sailing, they will inevitably add an additional started and main course to the menu. We loved both soups that were on the regular menu. The lobster bisque is a little better than the red pepper soup, but of course that comes down to taste. The goat cheese souffle is always a good choice. The table side Ceasar has dropped in quality as they now use a prepared dressing rather than making the dressing table side. They do combine the machine cut romaine leaves with the dressing, cheese, croutons and optional anchovies but it's really not the same as prior the departure of the Roux brothers. The Fois Gras is exceptional. The lobster salad is ok but it's certainly not fresh lobster. On two occasions they added a shrimp started that was made with shrimp wrapped in prochiutto and served with a basalmic vinegar reduction over a bed of greens. That was fantastic. They added Tuna one evening as a starter and it wasn't served rare enough for our liking.

The main course include Pasta, Duck, Veal, Lamb Chops, Steak Diane, Sea Bass and Dover Sole. The additional entrees they served include Chateau Brion and Fillet Mignon.

The deserts are all very good. I think we tried them all. They have the Chocolate Souffle every night. They also have the Grand Marnier Souffle and have specials that included on our sailing a Marble Souffle, chocolate and Grand Marnier mixed and banana souffle. The sampler is much better than it was in the past. Gone is the one that tasted like toothpaste :-). The ice cream was not the best but it was still better than the main dining room. The chocolate torte was good but not great. The birthday cake (or any special occasion) is actually very good. Save room for the Petit Fores. The truffle is exception as is the candied grapefruit.

We did enjoy the tasting menu one evening. The wines were superb. The best wine of the evening was of course the Chateau Lafite Rothschild. At $425 per bottle on the ship, having a large glass was a treat. The other wines were very nicely paired. Our suggestion is to chose the wine you'd like and take the food to match. You are paying the premium for the wines so choose wisely.

One last comment. if you have the opportunity, request the wine room. It's a little more intimate than the other parts of the restaurant. You need to make the request early and most likely will need some priority like Elite Captain's club status or Suite accommodations.

Overall, the restaurant is well worth the price. I hope this helps answer the questions.

I am also on the 1/31 sailing and called when we got to 59 days out to make my reservation at Muranos. At what point do you think I should expect to receive my email telling me when I got my reservation for? I have yet to see one and it has been several weeks since I called to give them my first two choices.

We were also on the Transatlantic sailing recently and dined there 6 times. The food was profoundly better than the main dining room and the service was exceptional. The service is like all the other Millie class restaurants. The current Maitre'D, Cemal, is by far the best we have found on Celebrity. Not only does he provide outstanding service, he is an exceptional leader for the 13 members of the dining room staff.

For the comments about the cheese, they do not serve cheddar in the finer restaurants in France and thankfully they do not serve cheddar in the Murano :-). While Cheddar has it's place, it is not in the same class as the cheese served in Murano.

As for the menu, if you dine there more than once during your sailing, they will inevitably add an additional started and main course to the menu. We loved both soups that were on the regular menu. The lobster bisque is a little better than the red pepper soup, but of course that comes down to taste. The goat cheese souffle is always a good choice. The table side Ceasar has dropped in quality as they now use a prepared dressing rather than making the dressing table side. They do combine the machine cut romaine leaves with the dressing, cheese, croutons and optional anchovies but it's really not the same as prior the departure of the Roux brothers. The Fois Gras is exceptional. The lobster salad is ok but it's certainly not fresh lobster. On two occasions they added a shrimp started that was made with shrimp wrapped in prochiutto and served with a basalmic vinegar reduction over a bed of greens. That was fantastic. They added Tuna one evening as a starter and it wasn't served rare enough for our liking.

The main course include Pasta, Duck, Veal, Lamb Chops, Steak Diane, Sea Bass and Dover Sole. The additional entrees they served include Chateau Brion and Fillet Mignon.

The deserts are all very good. I think we tried them all. They have the Chocolate Souffle every night. They also have the Grand Marnier Souffle and have specials that included on our sailing a Marble Souffle, chocolate and Grand Marnier mixed and banana souffle. The sampler is much better than it was in the past. Gone is the one that tasted like toothpaste :-). The ice cream was not the best but it was still better than the main dining room. The chocolate torte was good but not great. The birthday cake (or any special occasion) is actually very good. Save room for the Petit Fores. The truffle is exception as is the candied grapefruit.

We did enjoy the tasting menu one evening. The wines were superb. The best wine of the evening was of course the Chateau Lafite Rothschild. At $425 per bottle on the ship, having a large glass was a treat. The other wines were very nicely paired. Our suggestion is to chose the wine you'd like and take the food to match. You are paying the premium for the wines so choose wisely.

One last comment. if you have the opportunity, request the wine room. It's a little more intimate than the other parts of the restaurant. You need to make the request early and most likely will need some priority like Elite Captain's club status or Suite accommodations.

Overall, the restaurant is well worth the price. I hope this helps answer the questions.

If we are not drinking wine (well, I may have one glass but DH does not drink), which room do you suggest (or is there only one additional room)? DH is a Chef, doesn't want to pay extra for any dining venue but I told him Muranos comes highly recommended.

If we are not drinking wine (well, I may have one glass but DH does not drink), which room do you suggest (or is there only one additional room)? DH is a Chef, doesn't want to pay extra for any dining venue but I told him Muranos comes highly recommended.

There's on one additional restaurant. The wine room is just a small part of the restaurant. I would go to Murano if you want a higher level of service and food.

Archived