Novels to read while cruising

ldog

I like to read books and novels set in the area that I'm cruising. Can anyone suggest some representative novels from New Zealand and Australia. I've found a few Australian ones that sound interesting but not much from New Zealand.

Thanks

Hello,

Try "In A Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson, Quote: "What Bill Bryson has done for England and the United States, he has now done for Australia:written a delightfully entertaining travel book." Boston Globe. I hope you find it enjoyable.

Sandy

If you're going to NZ for the first time (or even if you've been there before) and don't know about Maori history and experience, I'd check out some NZ authors and read several of the moving stories. Also, I always recommend renting and watching Whalerider (an academy award winner) or taking a copy with you to view onboard. Learning about history, culture and what it's like to live in any country is one of the real joys of travel for me. If I can find the title of a novel that I bought in a Queenstown bookstore some years ago, I'll post it.

I like to read books and novels set in the area that I'm cruising. Can anyone suggest some representative novels from New Zealand and Australia. I've found a few Australian ones that sound interesting but not much from New Zealand.

Thanks

Try Australian author Bryce Courtenay. I think his best are "Potato Factory" set in the early convict days and is based on the experiences of a thief transported from England to Australia and "Jessica" which follows the diffucult like of a young girl raised in the Australian outback.

Good reading

Thanks, I've requested both of these from our library. I'll check them out and then purchase if possible.

Now, New Zealand anyone? Do you have annual Governor General's literary awards like we do in Canada? Who are current popular novelists?

Not a novel, but wonderful.

Janet Frame. Autobiography in 3 parts:

To the Is-Land

An Angel at my Table

The Envoy from Mirror City

Just a warning.

You will cry!

Steve.

Archived