not allowed.

Very helpful, however, when one spouse does

not know the whereabouts of the other, 1,000 feet away

in another part of the ship.

Also cheaper than cell phones when you are in port or

shopping/sightseeing a block away from each other, or

even in the same store (Costco?).

• 1 month later...

Office Depot has a special on a Cobra brand. It is both frequencies (don't remember what they are) and have 23 channels plus sub-channels. They work up to 6 miles. They cost $49.99, but through the end of October, there is a $20 refund with the purchase. They also come with rechargeable nicad (or whatever) batteries and a charging stand.

I have used the walkie-talkies on all cruises since they have been available. It has been wonderful. My husband likes to wander and I am always able to catch up with him on the ship. My father doesn't like to get off of the ship, but we are still able to stay in contact with him while we are on the island. They have come in really handy especially one time when we were on the island and my father had a medical situation arise. We were able to find out what was going on and change our plans to get back to the ship and take care of him.

I have used them on several cruises, especially when my husband and I went with a cousin and his friend to Alaska last year. It helps to keep each other together and even on shore. I was using it on a tour just as we were seated on the bus. One women was looking for her husband and he missed a VERY nice tour to the Dunguness Crab farm and an EXCELLANT meal afterwards. She looked at me and said I wish I had thought of that.. so Take them.. better to have it than have your friend or spouse lost and missing out of an expensive Excursion! They just lost $120.00 because her husband missed the tour bus.

whoever said no walkie talkies, probably didn't have them. too bad for them, really! they are an awesome thing to have on a cruise ship! we would never travel without them! when i had a cc group of over 70 people, we all stayed in touch with them. we were able to coordinate our arrival during debarkation at a port and once at the port, we were able to get everyone together to take whatever means of transportation we had arranged.

i would never use it at dinner as i'm already sitting with anyone i want to talk to at the time, but at the pool and getting to shows...invaluable!!!

also, people need to not scream(!) into them, and turn the volume down to a respectable level.

i also have the cobras mentioned above and they are the best!! we've tried others but the cobras seem to have the best range and lots of sub-channels, so you don't talk on someone else's channel.

walkie talkies were allowed on the carnival and rci ships i've been on and i'm going on princess and from what i was told by the res. desk, you can take them onboard there, too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from a week on the Century and I wish I would have brought some walkie talkies. There were a few times that I was exploring the ship that my wife was trying to find me and vice versa. They also would have been very helpful in Cozumel tracking down all the shoppers in our group. I'll be sure to pack them for the next cruise.

• 2 months later...
Just came back from a week on the Century and I wish I would have brought some walkie talkies. There were a few times that I was exploring the ship that my wife was trying to find me and vice versa. They also would have been very helpful in Cozumel tracking down all the shoppers in our group. I'll be sure to pack them for the next cruise.

Just be aware that what are legal personal radios is the US may

be very much illegal in other countries. Some foreign

countries ban ALL personal radios for security

reasons, often being very repressive about it.

On the ship no big deal (note that most cruiselines "ban" them),

in the US, no problem, in Mexico, I'm not sure, but personally

would not use them.

DH and I don't take them when it is just us but we are taking the kids for the first time and since Carnival will let our 9 year old sign herself out of camp, I want to be able to find her. I promise not to take them to dinner and be stupid with them! Why ruin dinner like that?

Used them with the kids on the Sensation, when the 9 yr old signed out of camp she called us to let us know where she was going. Let her and her brother have a little freedom and still able to keep tabs. :)

:o

Someone said' date=' "No walkie talkies". How come?:confused:[/quote']

On our last cruise we took some walkie talkies. Like others have said, it sure beats hunting around for DH. I always use them where others cannot hear them. FYI--I was shocked at how fast they eat batteries. I mean after a few hours!!! And only talking a few times. Maybe we got the wrong kind. But, bring extra batteries or the rechargable kind. :o

Mary: Thanks for the compliments. I just took a "peek" at your photos and you need to take more!

I used up both of my memory sticks on the PC cruise even after I deleted the bad ones. I just ordered more memory on ebay so that won't happen again. If you go to Grand Cayman & do the snorkeling/sting rays, bring a disposable camera. One thing I did wrong was I tried to frame the fish & they were gone. Just put the camera in front of the fish & click (I did not put those on the site yet).

If people could be considerate there would be no problem with walkie talkies. On our last cruise in the evening show the person behind us had his walkie talkie on full blast and we had to listen to kate looking for Ralph and telling her when he found her that not much was happening. What was she up to? I don't even know why he had them on as he was not talking to either of the parties on the walkie talkies but they were sure competing with and winning against the dialogue in the show. Unfortunately looks from the people around him did nothing to influence him in turning them off. Finally one person did ask him to shut them off and he was quite offended. :confused: MEH

Volendam 05

Victory 04

Mercury 02

We took Walkie Talkies on our last cruise (our friends brought them) and we were amazed at how much they helped!:eek: I went out and bought a set for me and my husband , and also a set for my parents who will be joining us on our next cruise.

Granted, we only used them during the day while one of us was at the pool and the other was off somewhere, but it really made a big difference. It also helped with us going on separate excursions where we would be "meeting up " with each other off of the ship. I don't know how we would have found each other otherwise.

We didn't bring them to dinner or to any shows... that would be rude!:cool:

A nice tip for walkie-talkies: I frequently travel with my parents in separate cabins, and like to have breakfast with them in the dining room. I'm an early riser and never know when they will wake up. So when each of us wakes up, we turn on the radio and call for the other. If they are awake, they have on the radio and reply. If they are still sleeping, they aren't disturbed because they don't have their radio on. It works quite well.

Archived