Insight versus Gate 1

Mickie

We are planning on a September 2008 trip combining a land and river cruise on either Gate 1 or Insight. We are in our early 60s.

Have seen some posts re Gate 1, but none about Insight. Insight is much more expensive, but is it worth the difference in price?

I understand that Insight supposedly has more leg room on buses???

We've reviewed MANY other tour operators, (Tauck, Viking, Deilmann, Odyssy, Club ABC, GCT, but none have the specific itineraries that these two do - Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Krakow, Warsaw, etc.

Also, is it worth it to upgrade to Business Class flying from either FL or NC?

Thanks.

Are you doing a river cruise or a land tour? Insight has it's own message board that I am sure you will be able to get info from. I know several people who have done land tours with Insight and they have always been well pleased. If you do a search on here for Gate 1 I am sure you will come up with some results.Look into Avalon too. They are owned by Globus and I have taken a river cruise and 4 land tours with them and they were fantastic.

We have taken land trips with both Insight and Gate1. Insight was costlier, but included more. Compare the itineraries and included excursions and meals, as well as location of hotels to help make a decision.

As for business class vs coach, only you and your pocketbook can make the decision, unless you have enough frequent flyer points. My suggestion would be to fly coach and use the extra money to upgrade to a Tauck tour, which is heads and tails above the other two.

We are planning on a September 2008 trip combining a land and river cruise on either Gate 1 or Insight. We are in our early 60s.

Mickie - Given your interest in mah jongg, you might consider a cruise down the Yang Tze in China. We did this in April 07 and the entire upper deck on our Viking cruise had seats filled with folks playing the national game. China is definitely worth the long flight. Meeting the Chinese people was the best part of the trip.

As far as European cruising, we have done two cruises with Amadeus up and down the Danube from Budapest. Great food, interesting daily tours with time on your own, wonderfully comfortable ship with a staff that makes you hate to leave. Read my reviews for more details.

I hear so many good things about other lines that I have to agree with Steamboats - pick the itinerary you want FIRST, then find the line that provides it.

WIT

Archived