rain gear

kimcht

I take a hooded zip-up fleece jacket and either a windbreaker that folds flat into itself or a dollar store rain pancho. In three trips to Alaska, I have never used the windbreaker or rain pancho. As far as pants, I have two pair of cotton-lined, wind pants(slicky material) that I save for my Alaska trips.

I've only been to Anchorage once, so can't really address where to shop for gear. The downtown area is lovely; you will enjoy your time there.

Recommendations on this will fluctuate, and your needs will vary depending on your excursions and if you are doing a land tour as well as a cruise.

Bottom line, I prefer to go prepared. Shop online before you can go; you'll get better selection and better prices. Try places like campmor.com, backcountryoutlet.com, sierratradingpost.com and moosejaw.com.

REI has a store in Anchorage. Check them out online at rei.com. I'm sure you could find a few things at the local Walmart there too.

I used my waterproof ski jacket in Alaska. It totally saved me and my camera from the pouring rain out of Tracy's arm during the height of whale encountering. I would recommend you buy online before you go for better selection and price. One place I often shopped is overstock.com. They sometimes have some good deal there.

I have seen people wearing some really inexpensive rain pancho. It seemed it worked very well to protect from rain too (But I am not sure how comfortable they are since they are not breatheable).

You might want to check out LL Beans 'Weather Challenger Jacket' for a nice 3 in 1 jacket. Water proof shell with a wind proof fleece jacket.

Would you happen to know the item number for this jacket or have a link for it? It sounds like something I might be interested in, but I'm having dificulty locating it on the LL Bean website.

Thanks,

Would you happen to know the item number for this jacket or have a link for it? It sounds like something I might be interested in, but I'm having dificulty locating it on the LL Bean website.

Thanks,

looks like it might just be a mens jacket..it is on sale:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=56110&productId=784020&qs=5686472-Google_Product_Submit

Thanks!! I don't know why I couldn't locate it :confused:

i couldn't find it either by doing a search on the llbean site, so i did a search on google and found it that way....glad i could help...was just sorry they didn't have it in women's for me...apparantly they did but it is sold out now...looks like a nice jacket...

I was thinking of ordering these. The jacket does not have a removable fleece lining, but is a breathable gortex jacket. It also sounds like it would not take up a lot of packing space. What do you experienced Alaska Rain Forest travellers think of these?:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/PackableGORETEXJacket-68660_137551_59.html?CM_MERCH=SRCH

http://www.landsend.com/pp/PackableGORETEXPants-68660_137554_59.html?CM_MERCH=PGGT_0000033932

They are also available in men's sizes.

i couldn't find it either by doing a search on the llbean site, so i did a search on google and found it that way....glad i could help...was just sorry they didn't have it in women's for me...apparantly they did but it is sold out now...looks like a nice jacket...

vbmom87,

I ordered the Navy Blue. It seems to be exactly what I've been looking for :) !! I'm not too sharp when it comes to picking out women's clothes so I suppose suggesting a small men's jacket is pretty lame idea, huh :eek: .

Well anyway, thanks again for the info and Have a Happy New Year.

vbmom87,

I ordered the Navy Blue. It seems to be exactly what I've been looking for :) !! I'm not too sharp when it comes to picking out women's clothes so I suppose suggesting a small men's jacket is pretty lame idea, huh :eek: .

Well anyway, thanks again for the info and Have a Happy New Year.

I did think about ordering a men's size, and I may give it a try. However, usually men's jackets are a little too narrow around the hips for women.:)

I apologize in advance for my ignorance on this topic :rolleyes: , but are rain pants something that are generally worn by themselves or do the slip over your regular pants? I was looking specifically at the LL Bean pants below.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=33837&qs=5660719&edds=ddstst&qei=963469918

Thanks,

I apologize in advance for my ignorance on this topic :rolleyes: , but are rain pants something that are generally worn by themselves or do the slip over your regular pants? I was looking specifically at the LL Bean pants below.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=33837&qs=5660719&edds=ddstst&qei=963469918

Thanks,

I was assuming you keep them in your backpack and if it rains you pull them out and put them over whatever you are wearing. I am sure someone will tell us otherwise if I am incorrect. The ones you are looking at say:

"Lower-leg zippers allow for easy on/off over boots"

That statement makes it sound like you put them on when you want to and they will go over your boots.

Rain pants can be worn on their own or over other pants. If doing the latter, just plan accordingly and get a size that will work.

There are generally 3 styles of rain paints - no zipper leg, zipper at the ankle / shoe area, and zippers that run the entire length of the leg. The latter are generally the easiest to use.

Marmot makes a great pair of rain pants with their Precip model. Sometime you can get them online for as low as $50.

When I went to AK, I took North Face's Revolution insulate rain pants. I was lucky enough to find them half price online. They kept me warm and dry no matter where I was or what I was doing - hiking, kayaking, tromping around on a glacier, or watching glaciers calve on the ship's bridge. I'm a bit of a gear freak, and not everyone would need pants like these, but I do recommend them.

several people have mentioned buying rain jackets with removable fleece lining once we get there? we start out in downtown anchorage, any specific stores you would recommend? are rainpants recommended?

I remember someone posting this too. I did a search but could not locate the thread. If I remember correctly, I think they said there were vendors in Ketchikan that sold jackets for around $20. I am going to try to find something at home. I really want to be prepared when I arrive in Alaska. If it is raining the day I get into port, I want to walk off the ship ready to tour. I don't want to waste time finding things to keep me dry.

It seems that most people did not bother with umbrellas, although I remember one poster who liked having it. From what I remember, people did say if you want to stay dry and be able to tour the town in rain, you should have waterproof jacket, pants and shoes/boots. Ketchikan is one of my port stops. Since they have an annual rainfall of 160+ inches a year, I think I want to be prepared.

Many in our "Alaska Group" are also Gold Wing motorcycle riders and on our last trip to Alaska, we took our Frogg Toggs (waterproof, windproof, breathable lightweight pants and jackets) They were perfect when we were in Ketchikan, since it was raining as we docked and as we got off the ship and started around the town. Since they are so lightweight and can be packed/crammed/wadded into a small space, they worked really great for Alaska, too! The pants have zips on the lower legs and are easy to put on over whatever pants you happen to be wearing (I was wearing fleece-lined jeans, for instance) and when the sun came out they were easy to remove and stuff into our backpack. We bought ours at Academy Sports, but most major sporting goods retailers sell them. They were around $90 for the set.

We used them again in Skagway when the wind suddenly turned gusty and COLD. Like one of the other posters has said, we didn't want to lose a minute of our time in gorgeous Alaska, so we tried to be prepared for weather changes at all times. The backpack was handy, we could pull off layers and tuck them away, then pull them out again when needed--often several times a day when in port.

Many in our "Alaska Group" are also Gold Wing motorcycle riders and on our last trip to Alaska, we took our Frogg Toggs (waterproof, windproof, breathable lightweight pants and jackets) They were perfect when we were in Ketchikan, since it was raining as we docked and as we got off the ship and started around the town. Since they are so lightweight and can be packed/crammed/wadded into a small space, they worked really great for Alaska, too! The pants have zips on the lower legs and are easy to put on over whatever pants you happen to be wearing (I was wearing fleece-lined jeans, for instance) and when the sun came out they were easy to remove and stuff into our backpack. We bought ours at Academy Sports, but most major sporting goods retailers sell them. They were around $90 for the set.

We used them again in Skagway when the wind suddenly turned gusty and COLD. Like one of the other posters has said, we didn't want to lose a minute of our time in gorgeous Alaska, so we tried to be prepared for weather changes at all times. The backpack was handy, we could pull off layers and tuck them away, then pull them out again when needed--often several times a day when in port.

Thanks for the Frogg Toggs tip. They seem much more reasonable than other rainsuits out there. I found some online that are around $50 for the set. Seem like it would be good enough for what we need them for.

I have read several posts recommending taking a fleece jacket to alaska. What is a fleece jacket? do you mean a fur jacket? do you mean a shearling jacket? Both fur and shearling seem awfully heavy to me. Please let me know what a fleece jacket is . Thanks. :confused:

I have read several posts recommending taking a fleece jacket to alaska. What is a fleece jacket? do you mean a fur jacket? do you mean a shearling jacket? Both fur and shearling seem awfully heavy to me. Please let me know what a fleece jacket is . Thanks. :confused:

Fleece is a sweatshirt-like material, but generally much warmer and sometimes water repellent. The North Face Denali is an example of a (part) fleece jacket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_fleece

Here's the number for the womens jacket. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

52804EH:)

You may have to call them directly. I know they still have them, we just ordered ours Sunday eve.

Thanks for the info. I will try calling. The jacket is no longer posted on their website.

Archived