Food Poisoning??

I guess we just say a prayer and hope for the best. Again I am not as worried about myself as I am about my young kids. Thanks

Again Mac,

As another poster said. You are much safer than eating the food on a cruise ship than at most of your local eating establishments. I would not hesitate to let me kids eat in the Windjammer again.

Maybe the key to this story is to just drink onboard and stay away from all food?? Liquid diet for 7 days? Hmm I would lose the weight I have been wanting to lose.

lol, very true!! depends on what kind of liquid your drinking!! You drink the right stuff it will kill the germs..:eek:

I was talking of food posioning. Some guy stated he ate at Windjammer on Marnier of the Seas and soon after eating nachos he was sick and stayed sick for 4 days. This would not be good if my one year old son or four year old daughter came in contact with food poisoning. Just curious is there were some foods to stay away from? Like mayo or patato salad etc.......

I read that too, but I really think, even though I have nothing to back it up, that the guy got noro. I think it was coincidental that it happened after eating Nachos. If he got food poisoning from the Nachos, lots of others would have had it too. He didn't mention that a lot of people on the ship were sick, so that's what makes me think it wasn't food poisoning.

It's not any more likely that your one year or four year old would get food poisoning on Mariner than it would be getting it at a fast food restaurant or a buffet. The food on the ship is probably safer than it is land side. Just be diligent in washing your hands and your children's hands and tell them, I know it's hard, to keep their hands away from their mouthes. Enjoy the cruise and don't panic.

Are there any foods to stay away from on a cruise? We are going on Marnier of the Sea 1/6/08. Thanks

I wouldn't say there's anything specific to avoid. I always make it a point to take a good look at my food and make sure it's cold if it's supposed to be cold (especially creamy foods), hot if it's supposed to be, and fully cooked. If anything looks weird or un-indentifiable, I don't eat it. And luckily I have yet to get sick from food while on vacation, or at home.

As far as picking up viruses goes, the best thing is to wash your hands PROPERLY and frequently, and avoid touching your mouth (often hard for kids). And while hand sanitizer doesn't kill every type of bug, it kills a lot of them, so I make it a point to Purell my hands frequently as well, particularly if I'm on vacation, or in a public place touching a lot of things. Also if you can avoid touching railings, elevator buttons, and doorknobs, that's good as well. On our cruise, I made sure to open the bathroom door with a clean paper towel to avoid picking up new scum on my hands after washing them.

Most importantly, don't stress over it, and HAVE FUN! :)

I read that too, but I really think, even though I have nothing to back it up, that the guy got noro. I think it was coincidental that it happened after eating Nachos. If he got food poisoning from the Nachos, lots of others would have had it too. He didn't mention that a lot of people on the ship were sick, so that's what makes me think it wasn't food poisoning.

It's not any more likely that your one year or four year old would get food poisoning on Mariner than it would be getting it at a fast food restaurant or a buffet. The food on the ship is probably safer than it is land side. Just be diligent in washing your hands and your children's hands and tell them, I know it's hard, to keep their hands away from their mouthes. Enjoy the cruise and don't panic.

Well I think the guy had food poisoning. Simply because the guy was me and I have a doctor to back it up.

Well I think the guy had food poisoning. Simply because the guy was me and I have a doctor to back it up.

Sorry, I posted this when I only read about half of the posts. I had been reading other posts regarding Noro and what you had seemed to me to be the same. As I said, I had nothing to back it up. Hope you are feeling better now.

Sorry, I posted this when I only read about half of the posts. I had been reading other posts regarding Noro and what you had seemed to me to be the same. As I said, I had nothing to back it up. Hope you are feeling better now.

I am feeling much better now Katie thank you. I know everyone is quick to diagnose any illness on a ship Noro these days. We did have 115 confirmed cases on our cruise alone. Not that it matters...I was sick either way.

RonRocks, I'm asking out of ignorance and not disprespect. How does one know if vomiting and diarrhea are food poisoning and not Noro? Hubby was sure he had food poisoning on Liberty, but then I came down with Noro the next night, so we thought in retrospect he had Noro too, but how can one know for sure?

How does the doctor know for sure (unless a line of patients come to his office and say they ate bad nachos for lunch in the Windjammer and immediately fell ill, but no one else comes who is similarly ill.

Is there one specific symptom of food poisoning that clearly sets it apart from Noro?

RonRocks, I'm asking out of ignorance and not disprespect. How does one know if vomiting and diarrhea are food poisoning and not Noro? Hubby was sure he had food poisoning on Liberty, but then I came down with Noro the next night, so we thought in retrospect he had Noro too, but how can one know for sure?

How does the doctor know for sure (unless a line of patients come to his office and say they ate bad nachos for lunch in the Windjammer and immediately fell ill, but no one else comes who is similarly ill.

Is there one specific symptom of food poisoning that clearly sets it apart from Noro?

A doctors diagnosis of food poisening is only as accurate as the history he is given and if the doctor confirms with lab testing which would consist of a stool sample that shows salmonella or other food born illness.

I had land based Noro about 15 years ago, and thought I was going to die. I did end up in the ER 6 hours for dehydration/rehydration. I only found out later, that it was Noro/rotovirus because about half of the attendees came down with it Monday after a Saturday evening get together. One of the children had it (something), and it wasn't food borne because it was just cocktails and not shared food.. :o

The best defense is THOROUGHLY washing your hands, the NORO is a virus and most of those hand sanitizer are anti-bacterials which do nothing.

Actually, most hand sanitizers are alcohol based, and therefore, they are effective against both bacteria and viruses.

Thanksgiving evening on the ride home I felt nauseous. I did not throw up but felt like it. I felt better the next morning, but after I laid down, I could not lift my head off of the pillow I was so nauseous. My husband and I ate the same things except one low carb cake which others did also eat with no ill effects. I did not have noro, or food poisioning. I am highly sensitive to sugar alcohols in some sweetners and I was having an allergic reaction. My sis tried a new recipe with stevia mixed with sugar alcohols. I no longer eat things she makes with that combo. Not all reactions are caused by the same thing. And since I do have certain food allergies ( cottonseed oil is one) I avoid eating those things ( which ususally are in processed foods which I no longer eat).

In the past I have had noro/food poisoning type reactions from the trigger foods.Throwing up or eliminating it is a good thing for me, it takes the offending thing out of my system quicker. I know enough to take benadryl because it I do not not only do I have those reactions but I get hives or throat swelling. So if one person in a party is the only one affected by something, do not make assumptions.... oh and by the way food allergies as those who have peanut allergies know CAN be life threatening and we do not always know we are allergic to something until it builds up to a critical level in our bodies. So seeing a doctor is best.

I was on the Voyager in May 2005- my first cruise. I got sick the last day as did many others with the norovirus. Glad it happened the last day, not earlier. It was a mess with so many sick and of course, the ship just turns around and heads out again. I knew someone on the next sailing and there were many sick then also. I am leaving on 1/6/08 on the Mariner and sure hope it doesn't happen again. Obviously, people get on board with the virus, not knowing it, and it spreads. Will wash my hands very frequently. Things like the slots and the elevator buttons can even spread the germs.

Dorothy

In my case I went to see the doctor on the ship. As far as one specific symptom that sets one apart from the other I don't know. I've never had Noro. Until I got sick on the ship I had no idea that Noro caused vomiting and diarrhea. I will assume that the doctor on the ship has seen enough of Noro to be able to tell. As far as the nachos go, I can't say it was them. It could have been something I had earlier. It was the last thing I ate....and the first thing that...well you know. Funny thing is they tasted the same the second time.:eek: ;)

I think it is very difficult to ascertain the difference. Cruisers are always upset that people board with Noro, but I think most people wouldn't necessarily know. I went to work Monday at 8AM, felt fine, did some paperwork, and went to the restroom at 9:30 and barfed. I was sick again about 10 AM. I went home. At about noon the explosive bowel problems started and the vomiting continued. By 1PM I was crawling to the home bathroom, and trying to decide which orfice was more urgent. At about 3PM my DH took me to the ER, because I was moaning and slightly delusional. I received a shot of Phengran and glucose for fluids. We hear a lot about Noro/food poisoning...and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. :p

Just curious about all of this....and maybe another plausible reason....NOT everyone washes their hands when they leave a washroom...and if they don't, and touch...for example...railings, elevator buttons, etc. about the ship, and someone else touches the same place, then it could be reasonable to assume that they have come down with something else and not acquired food poisoning (although it is easier to blame a cruise line than to admit not washing up after being in a washroom....believe me...I have seen it happen and it floors me to see people in this day and age doing it...either because they don't know better, don't care or think it won't matter)

I was reading this forum and noticed a few people state they got food poisoning the first or second night into their cruise. We were on Disney Magic a couple years ago and noticed there were waterless hand cleaners all over the ship. I do not think these will help with food poisoning though. I would hate to get food poisoning on my cruise or have one of my kids get food poison. Are there any foods to stay away from on a cruise? We are going on Marnier of the Sea 1/6/08. Thanks

If one is afraid of food poisoning, the foods to avoid most are those served in the buffet, particularly open foods such as salads, etc. One should be careful when consuming dairy products (as well as salad dressings, etc.) which may be spoiled.:(

I think it is very difficult to ascertain the difference. Cruisers are always upset that people board with Noro, but I think most people wouldn't necessarily know. I went to work Monday at 8AM, felt fine, did some paperwork, and went to the restroom at 9:30 and barfed. I was sick again about 10 AM. I went home. At about noon the explosive bowel problems started and the vomiting continued. By 1PM I was crawling to the home bathroom, and trying to decide which orfice was more urgent. At about 3PM my DH took me to the ER, because I was moaning and slightly delusional. I received a shot of Phengran and glucose for fluids. We hear a lot about Noro/food poisoning...and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. :p

WOW!!! I did this excursion too!!! Isn't it great!! One of those "once and a life time trips" :eek: you hope

Well, I had an earthworm in my salad from the WJ! :lol

The chef explained that the salad was cleaned, they spray it with a bleach solution before they serve it. So I guess my worm was a clean one! I laughed at this for days.

I noted that there was no Purell hand sanitizer on board anymore. It is mostly made of alchohol and that does not kill Norovirus.

Poor Ron, sorry you got so sick .

I read somewhere that Melons if left out can go as bad a chopped meat does. Don't know where I read that.

I have been a nurse/Respiratory therapist for 37 years. Anyone can get Noro, and anyone can get food poisening. I dont' think the ships do blood work to determine which is which, but perhaps by the numbers of people and the symptomology?

A worm? That salad would have gone back into the chiefs face as he came out to explain how clean and well prepared the salad was. That is something you do not miss while preparing a salad. I wanted to eat a lot of fruits on board but I think I will stay away from ground beef and melons.

I got sick on Nov 27th on the explorer of the seas. And I am still not feeling 100% better yet. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? Is it normal to still be sick a month after your trip? The doctor said it was gastritis from the trip but im still not better so im worried now.

Thats terrible. I guess people get food illnesses from all restaurants and this is the only setting for people to write about it. There is a"golden corral" restaurant in my home town that gave 15-30 people food poison one Friday night. A few of the older people actually died from it. Today the golden corral is open and packed every night. It only closed for a few days for health inspectors to go over the restaurant I guess. But this goes back to the person stating avoid certain foods on the buffet or avoid the buffet all together. Is WindJammer a buffet or cook to order?

Thirty years ago, cruise ships would hire a Health and Sanitation Officer to watch over all parts of the ship relating to health; this was done as the US Federal Government was threatening to prohibit cruise ships -- almost all of which are not registered in the US -- from cruising in and out of US ports. This individual covered everything from checking the food and water, to checking the pool for proper amount of chlorine, to checking the air conditioning system (Legionnaire's Disease was the threat), to mention a few of his duties.

On a past cruise, I had the opportunity to have a drink with one. He told me the meat served had to be of a minimum temperature, and he was constantly arguing with the chefs, who thought the higher the temperature the worse the meat would taste. The dishware and eating utensils were cleaned at a high temperature, and when one picked up platers, etc., one was tempted to drop them because they were so hot.

Here the chefs would complain because they were so warm, salads would often wilt.

In recent cruises, I haven't noticed such an Officer on board. If they no longer hire such a person, perhaps they ought to bring him back.:(

Archived