Cell Phones on cruise to Mexico?

galleygoddess

we have verizon and cingular ( at t ) and they always work until we get to baja and then they never work again..

we end up calling home collect to check on mom

Melika, if you get the Mexico plan with AT&T you will be able to receive and make calls in Mexico. There may be some roaming charges involved though. The only time I had roaming charges was when traveling through Quintana Roo. I am not sure about the Pacific coast.

Not all ships have satellite at sea, and you'll need that in order to call on the ship. You will also need a cell phone that has GSM or GPRS service and an international calling plan. You must activate the international calling. It's not all that cheap to use satellite at sea. You have connect charges, roaming charges and per minute fees. For some, the per minute charge can be as high as $6.

If you have a regular cell phone without international calling features, your phone won't work in Mexico.

Be sure to call Sprint. You want to verify two things; most Sprint phones that work in the USA do work from Mexico but you want to verity that the type of phone you have will work. And you want to verify that your account is set up for internional calling. Sprint use to charge a monthly fee for this but no longer does.

Keith

I have Verizon...had reception, though at times not the best, on our recent Navigator of the Seas cruise to Cozumel...the only time I didn't have service was IN Cozumel. The bill arrived a day or two ago...it was exactly as expected...$2.49/minute. Thank God I only made a couple of quick calls!

Melika, if you get the Mexico plan with AT&T you will be able to receive and make calls in Mexico. There may be some roaming charges involved though. The only time I had roaming charges was when traveling through Quintana Roo. I am not sure about the Pacific coast.

I didnt know they offered that

i know when we went to hawaii from CA, my phone always said cingular at sea on it , and it would work on and off,

but to mexico none of them worked,

i might call At t to check on that

thanks for the info

Check on Tracfone.com. We bought a Tracfone at Kmart which now allows you to call to Mexico for the same as US rates. Not sure if you can use while IN Mexico tho. Rates will be cheaper than your phone service, I'm sure. Just double check on the usage plan. We used it to call a daughter while she was in Mexico with no problem.

Archived