Voyager or Freedom class?

lrmg1228

My first cruise was in '06 on the Navigator and then in '07 on the Mariner it's sister ship. I would have to say that even though they are sisters I enjoyed the Navigator much more. A travel companion had been on both as well and agreed. I looking to book a family cruise (ages 40, 37, 22, 21 and 18) for the summer of '08 and would like to try out the new Freedom class ships, but have concerns regarding some of the reviews stating the service was not that great and really long lines. My other concern is which itinary should I chose? On both of the RCCL I've been on before we been to San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I've considered going western this time, but have read some distrubing things about Jamica in addition to a friend of mine who has been western said there is much more poverty than on the eastern side. Comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I just got back from a Holland cruise with a co-worker and I will admit the crowd was much older I'm sure due to the time of year the service was excellent and they always seem happy to help.

We have been on the Mariner, Explorer and in July, the Liberty. We did enjoy all of them but did like the longer Promonade deck with Sorentos. As for long lines, let me fist say that I hate to wait in long lines and my threshold is probably a lot lower than most. We did NOT experience any long lines. Well, that is not true, we did wait in a long line to tender off the ship. But that could have been easily avoided if we had gotten our lazy butts out of bed a little earlier as the tender lines do get a little long at about 9:00 or 10:00 I think.

For our next cruise, it came down to money. The Mariner was a lot less for the March 30th sailing. If I'm not mistaken, it was like 1800 more for the three of us.

We love the Navigator! We sailed Freedom in October. I experienced no long lines. The service was great as usual. We found nothing not to like about her. I also like western ports. Just take an excursiion in Jamaica, no problem, mon. I always say that if every cruise went to Labadee and Cozumel, that would be fine with me as they are among my favorite places to loll on the beach. Shopping is good in Cozumel if you get away from the port area and go downtown. Snorkeling is outstanding in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. You MUST do a stingray excursion there. I recommend a private tour with Nativeway Watersports to see the stingrays and snorkel the reef. You can get lots of info on the Ports of Call boards for all these ports.

I sailed the FOS and loved it. I have no idea what the "long lines" issue is - I experienced none of it.

I would highly recommend one of the Freedom class ships. Much more to do.

Same here; I sailed the FOS and had a fantastic time. The ONLY spot where I had "long lines" was the Flowrider -- it seemed that once you got in line, it would take 30-45 minutes before you got your shot at the wave. If you wanted to do it again, there went another 45 minutes.

I heard the Flowrider line was much more tolerable during the morning session when not many people were up. I wouldn't know that firsthand because I was one of those people who weren't up. :p

Disembarking at the ports wasn't bad at all; after the first port I didn't even feel a need to try to be one of the first off the ship. The first port (Puerto Rico) was the most crowded, but it also was the only port where we got off in the afternoon as opposed to early morning. Again, early morning -- people are either still asleep, trying to get ready and get out the door or eating breakfast, so the disembarkation lines are smaller.

As for the service, it was actually less than what I expected; my Carnival Victory trip had better service. By the third day, I readjusted my expectations and didn't have a problem. One tip -- that boat does hold QUITE a few people, and I think some of the service folks can become overwhelmed. I even saw a few employee areas and there were signs all over the place reminding them to "smile". If some of the guests were to do the same (and be courteous) to the employees, you'll have a much better experience. I make it a point to look them in the eye, say hello, or even insist that they go down the stairs before me if they reached the stairs before I did. I've found that you are rewarded at a later date when you treat everyone with respect.

Without a doubt, I'd recommend the FOS.

Archived