Any RCCL fans ever on Crown Princess? Comparisons?

ds521

Hi All - we're seriously thinking about taking a southern caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess. We're platinum members with RCCL and are big fans of the line, but unfortunately the itinerary we're looking for at the best price is on the Crown Princess. We took the Diamond Princess a few years ago and didn't have a great experience but we hear the Crown Princess is much better. Anyone have any opinions or experiences you can share with us before we make a final decision? Thanks for any help you can offer!

I saw the responses that you got on the Princess thread, and I thought, "Yikes!":( They weren't exactly helpful, or at least the first few weren't. Maybe someone friendlier will help you.:) I wish I could help you, but I have never been on the Crown. I know someone who has and she loved it. It is a beautiful, new ship, and some day I may go on her. I am sure you will have a good time on either.;)

We were on the Crown Princess in July and had a great time. We both liked the ship. We had set dinner time so that was the same as RCCL. We liked the pools on the Crown, they have two adult only pools which is a nice change. We don't mind swimming in the pools with kids and we did but sometimes we liked to be in a quieter area. Princess also has movies by the pool all day and special movies showing at night .The pools are all fresh water. The entertainment wasn't as good as Royal Caribbean. The rooms are nice but you have to be careful in alot of the balcony rooms the balcony is uncovered and people can if they want to look over the railing at you. I think these cabins are on the Dolphin Deck. Some of the other rooms have a partially covered balcony. We stayed on the Emerald deck in a mini suite and those rooms had all covered balconies. The food was good in the dining room. The desserts are better on Royal. I like Royal Caribbean very much and are going on the EOS in January and we are Platium members. I like both cruise lines.

Hi All - we're seriously thinking about taking a southern caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess. We're platinum members with RCCL and are big fans of the line, but unfortunately the itinerary we're looking for at the best price is on the Crown Princess. We took the Diamond Princess a few years ago and didn't have a great experience but we hear the Crown Princess is much better. Anyone have any opinions or experiences you can share with us before we make a final decision? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Seek and ye shall find. (or request and I shall post. ;))

I was on the Crown Princess in July 2006, her maiden season: Comparison thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=384375

Live report from that cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=378464

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=380212

We were on the Crown in November of 06 and I was disappointed a little. We had cruised with Princess once before that on the Golden. The Golden was much better in most everything. Princess coffee is HORRIBLE!!! LOVED the CAFE PROMENEDE on AOS We just took our first cruise on RC this last November and were so happy with everything! Here are a few comparisons...

CROWN PRINCESS - More subdued dining rooms, not elegant

RC - AOS - Beautiful dining and better food all the way around!

CROWN PRINCESS - SMALLER bathroom and shower.....SMALLER rooms!

RC - AOS - Larger bathroom and shower, better balcony!

CROWN PRINCESS - Good comedians, but shows VERY amature!

RC - AOS - OMG, AWESOME shows....very PROFESSIONAL, ICE SHOW GREAT

CROWN PRINCESS - FRESH WATER POOLS!!!

RC - AOS - Salt Water, and not as pretty as PRINCESS

CROWN PRINCESS - Crew not very friendly at all

RC - AOS - Friendliest crew we have ever experienced

CROWN PRINCESS - More to do on sea days and no Hairy Chest, Hairy Legs, etc. contests!!!! YEAH!!!

RC - AOS - Not much to do on sea days that interested us but the ship itself is so awesome enjoyed just exploring and relaxing.

CROWN PRINCESS - Princess transfers were a rip off

RC - Transfers for AOS, at least for us, got us boarded quickly!

CROWN PRINCESS - Loved anytime dining!

RC AOS - Don't like traditional dining!!!!!

CROWN PRINCESS - Loved that southern Caribbean itinerary.

RC AOS - Waiting for AOS to have the same itinerary so we can cruise it again!

CROWN PRINCESS - More to do on sea days and no Hairy Chest, Hairy Legs, etc. contests!!!! YEAH!!!

RC - AOS - Not much to do on sea days that interested us but the ship itself is so awesome enjoyed just exploring and relaxing.

My only reflection on your post: I certainly DID see some of these typical pool games on the Crown Princess. They may not have been the identical ones, but they were just as rowdy, childish and demeaning! ;)

We did one of the Southern routes on the Crown Princess in November 2006. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. There were some things we missed about Royal Caribbean including a friendlier crew and more activities, but overall, the differences are negligible. A few things I LOVED about the Crown: Excellent pizza, cookies from the International Cafe and the wine and sushi bar. Crown dislikes: having to show up 1/2 hour prior to a show to get a seat, no towels available at the pool and the curtain instead of a door in the shower.

We cruised on Crown 2 weeks ago and had a great time. The itinerary (San Juan, Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, St Thomas, Tortola) is what sold us on this instead of RCL. We would not hestitate to cruise this ship again if the price and itinerary were preferable to anything else available. Having said that, my wife and I agree that if ALL other things were close to equal (itinerary, price, etc) we prefer RCL.

Movie under the stars was fun on Princess, but we liked the ship layout, the cabins, and the service better on RCL. The balconies on Princess were not private, and the rooms seemed a little smaller and skinnier on Princess. RCL's newer ships are more open and the Promenade area is far superior to Princess' version. Also, juice is only served during breakfast on the Crown... you have to pay for it at the bar during other times of the day. Better to bring your own.

I second the opinion about the pizza on the Crown... it was really good!

Hope that helps a little...

Archived