Fort Lauderdale hotel/taxi?

angie54751

Just wondering what people's experiences with hotels and taking taxis in Fort Lauderdale are? We are looking for a decent budget hotel to use pre-cruise and realize we may need to go a bit away from the port if we want that. Many of those hotels to not offer shuttle service and I'm wondering if taxi service is decent, reasonable, and easy to use? Any thoughts/recommendations?

Taxi service, while not cheap, has always been reliable. In October, we had an awesome driver, who had no problem stopping at a local wine store and a drug store.

If you have time, take the water taxi for an enjoyable way to sightsee along the waterways. It does not go to the cruise ships, just a way to see the waterways.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport North last week. Free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, then from the hotel to the port. Decent hotel, free breakfast. Sometimes you have to be patient for the shuttle service. If it seems like it is going to take a long time and you are impatient, it's a $16 cab ride from the airport.

What kind of a rate did you get for the Hampton Inn?

We're looking for a hotel on 1/16/08 and we're finding that is a very expensive time of year. Since there are 3 of us we are interested in the free airport-hotel and hotel-cruiseport transportation.

Currently we're reserved at the Sleep Inn and Suites 1500 SE 5th Street.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any better ideas?????

THanks,

We're at the Sheraton Yankee Trader right now (its not as bad as some of the reviews make it sound). The cab fare was $26 from the airport for 3 of us. It took about 1/2 hour, as there was a ton of traffic on the main drag to the hotel. If you have Starwood points, they have a great cash and points offer for this hotel.

Andy

We found all the hotels in FLL this time of year are expensive. It add much more to our cruise account than we had planned on. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Air and Port but we also get Priority Points for staying and DH stay at HI a lot for business. Several posters on different threads have said to make sure you sign up for the hotels shuttle bus to the port the night before as sometimes the waits are very long at the hotel. You might be better off taking a taxi no matter what.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Plantation in Nov(granted it was a cheaper time of year)..........free shuttle to and from airport/port..........we were allowed to leave our car there for the week............

Very nice hotel...............within walking distance of shops, restaurants,even a mall...........

Nice breakfast..........very,very nice staff.........

The rates online were more than when we called and spoke to the hotel directly...

Are you going to the Ft. Lauderdale port or the Miami port??

Reason I am asking is because we're contemplating booking the Liberty out of Miami in August '08. Our TA told us it is cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale, plus the airport is easier to get around. Since we want to fly in a day ahead, we were wondering if it would be better to stay at a Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, and take a taxi to the Miami port on embarkation day, or take a taxi from the airport to a hotel in Miami, thereby being closer to the port. We're also looking to cut expenses, but not at the cost of me having a nervous breakdown the day of departure, thinking we won't get to the port on time!!

Any help is appreciated!!

Suze!

there is a lot of info in the east coast departures area of the board- then look under florida departures- all kinds of hotel options and info about learning to bid on priceline or hotwire for better prices on hotels- check it out- i learned a ton there for our trip out of fll -

stayed at sheraton yankee trader precruise- cab was 20 plus tip- walking distance to some restuarants and shops- decent hotel- won it on priceline for 80 a nite- they charge for parking- and internet

stayed at hampton in plantation post cruise- free shuttles from pier and to airport- used points to stay here - walking distance to restuarants and some shopping

happy searching

Are you going to the Ft. Lauderdale port or the Miami port??

Reason I am asking is because we're contemplating booking the Liberty out of Miami in August '08. Our TA told us it is cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale, plus the airport is easier to get around. Since we want to fly in a day ahead, we were wondering if it would be better to stay at a Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, and take a taxi to the Miami port on embarkation day, or take a taxi from the airport to a hotel in Miami, thereby being closer to the port. We're also looking to cut expenses, but not at the cost of me having a nervous breakdown the day of departure, thinking we won't get to the port on time!!

Any help is appreciated!!

Suze!

We flew in FLL and there is a service that took us to Miami, as I remember it was fairly cheap and was able to hold 4 of us and luggage. I think they only service the airport, Florida airport express.

I don't know which will be cheaper hotels rooms, Miami or FLL. Have a nice cruise.

We set sail on Feb. 4th on the Enchantment. The airfare that was set up for us puts us in FLL only 3 hours before we set sail. So we are going to rearrange our plans to come down a day or two early. It is an expense we weren't planning on and hotels are pretty pricey that time of year so we are looking at all our options.

Archived