Urgent help - Miami/FLL

woodmill100

Hi guys,

We're in Miami on Saturday afternoon (flying in from UK) and overnight before heading to FLL on Sunday for our cruise. We did want to hire a limo and have driver show us main sites of Miami on Sunday morning before taking us to Port Canaveral in time for boarding. I have emailed numerous limo companies and not one of them has come back to me to say I can book.

So, with only a few days to go, we now plan on seeing as much of Miami ourselves (any suggestions as to how to do this would be appreicated) and then take a cab to FLL. Is this possible? I know it is not too far but I don't want to be ripped off either. Hubby doesn't want to drive early into our holiday as he's driving later plus we'd only need a car for an hour or so.

Plus we'd want to pick up some wine and soda before boarding the ship - are places open on Sunday mornings or should we look for this on Saturday?

Thank you for your help.

Did you misspeak and mean to say Port Everglades? Because Port Canaveral is up near Orlando and Port Everglades is in Ft. Lauderdale.

I really don't know too much about the area, but maybe you would enjoy walking around South Beach, and then have your hotel call a taxi to take you on to the port. A car rental, however, would be A LOT cheaper for you.

Have you tried http://www.cachelimo.com (or email Luis at cachelimo@yahoo.com)? We used them back in Oct from FLL to downtown Miami and he charged us a total of $95, and that included the tip. I did, however, recommend him on this board earlier and he quoted what we thought to be an expensive price to someone else who only needed a ride from the Miami port to Miami's airport. But it would be worth an email or phone call to see what he would charge, because a taxi is going to be quite a bit anyway. Luis has brand new limos, and we received excellent service.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. There are some expert MIA and FLL residents on here who can be of great service so I'm hoping they'll chime in. Have a great cruise!!

I can't help with the limo/car thing... but I do know that you can't buy wine until noon on Sundays. Either get it on Saturday or board after 12:00 on Sunday (hit the store on the way to the ship). A taxi to Port Everglades won't be cheap... the ride takes 30 - 45 minutes. Have you looked into getting a transfer from the cruiseline? If they are using the hotel you're staying in for pre-cruise packages, and have passengers going to the port, you can ask about buying a transfer and going on the bus with them.

Why not spend the night before your cruise in Ft Lauderdale? There's plenty of things to do and see, hotels are plentiful and your transportation issues are cut in half.

Bequia, good point!! What time does the water taxi open on Sundays? They might enjoy doing that in Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, to the OP, if you stay in downtown FLL which is where the port is, there is a very nice Publix grocery store and beside of that is a wine warehouse. I've never seen so many bottles of wine in my life! So whether you stay in Ft. L or not, you may want to stop there on your way to the ship. It's just a couple of blocks down from the port if I remember correctly. I'm sure Bequia can give you more details.

It's really because we both want to see Miami however, if I can't get anything booked today/tomorrow then yes, the Miami reservations will be cancelled and we'll head straight to FLL after landing.

Thanks for the wine stop tip - will keep that in mind.

It's really because we both want to see Miami however, if I can't get anything booked today/tomorrow then yes, the Miami reservations will be cancelled and we'll head straight to FLL after landing.

Thanks for the wine stop tip - will keep that in mind.

From everything I've been told, if you want to see Miami, head over to South Beach to walk around. Then find some transportation to the port. (or hire the limo for a tour/transport if not too expensive) Let us know what you decide, and give a review when you get back :)

PS I think a taxi is going to cost you around $80 USD to go from Miami to Port Everglades. Bequia, is this correct??

From everything I've been told, if you want to see Miami, head over to South Beach to walk around. Then find some transportation to the port. (or hire the limo for a tour/transport if not too expensive) Let us know what you decide, and give a review when you get back :)

PS I think a taxi is going to cost you around $80 USD to go from Miami to Port Everglades. Bequia, is this correct??

I am not Bequia, but yes you are correct. A cab from Miami

to FLL is somewhere between 65.00 and 80.00.......tip too.

It would probably be easier to rent a limo. At least then you

will have more leg room:)

Archived