Anyone have GOOD experience with Sea Miles Program?

JHCALLAHAN

Hello,

I've seen a lot of bad press about the Carnival Card, was wondering if anyone has had a positive experience? I signed up for one a few months ago before we took our first cruise. Now I'm wondering if I should hold out for the free cruise (125,000 sea miles I believe) or go ahead and use them up on our Feb. cruise. I use it for most everything, and should be racking up the miles. There's no fee, and I pay it off every month so there's no interest. It doesn't seem to have a very good rep, but the people I've talked to at Barclays have been exceptionally nice (so much so I even called and bragged on them to the supervisor, something I've never done before or since, especially with a credit card company!).

Seems to me the worst that can happen is I won't get what I was promised. It hasn't cost a copper cent, so I guess I can't get "ripped off".

Thanks for your replies,

JHC

Like you, I was also considering the Sea Miles card until I asked for comments on the card. The responses were it was a waste of time since it's nearly impossible to accumulate enough points to actually get a free cruise. I would look for a hotel card such as Hilton or Choice Hotels were you can actually book a hotel prior to your next cruise.

if you get the points sea miles will give you your cuise.....that is why some will argue that it is good.

Problem is, if you are the type that likes to get the most for your money....Sea Miles is not the card to use.

They will book what ever cruise you want at full price. I could use my Miles to get $500 off. But I was Military and wanted to get the Military rate. They took the full miles but only credited $400.....because I was "double dipping"

I actually had an agent say........."why should we give you full credit for your miles when you are already getting a good rate?"

"WHAT???? let me see.....because I used your card and EARNED the discount"

If you like paying full price in order to get the full discount..........go for it!!:rolleyes:

You should beable to get your best deal and then redeem full point value...............you EARNED IT!!!

Holding out for the free cruise is the most difficult as the value of each cruise varies. The odds are that your points would expire before you have enough for 2 people to cruise for free. We have used the cruise points for cruise discounts of $125 or $250 per cabin.

If you doin't have great expectations and do pay off your card each month you can make it work for you. It is one of the highest interest rate cards around.

I actually use the cruise search feature more often as it is easy to use and returns the same prices as other online cruise sites.

In our opinion it is a scam. We used the card regularly, we booked a cruise with Carnival, went to cash in our points and was told in order to get full value we had to book the cruise through them not Carnival. In other words the buy in quantity from Carnival increase the price and charge you more then you might pay by booking through Carnival. Our $500.00 worth of points was reduced to less than $400.00. Needless to say we cut up the card right then and there.:mad:

I have had both good and bad experiences with the sea miles card but I have to say that the good out weighs the bad. I pay all my monthly bills on my CC. Pay it off at the end of the month therefore I don't pay any interest. My miles add up quickly and I cruise each year. Usually it ends up that we pay for one and get one free. This year 3/08 we will be taking a 8 day cruise (balcony room) for the price of one. It only cost me 65000 miles. Of course I had to spend a lot of money to get that but I would have anyway. To help with the air fare you can purchase your tickets and then send them a copy of everything and they reimburse you so much money per 100 points. I am sure there are better options out there but it has worked for me over 5 years. Not totally without frustration though.

I haven't ever had a problem with this card. I have gotten full carnival discounts while also getting $500 off for using 50,000 points.Not sure about the double dipping policy that they Seamiles has but they have never said anything to me like that. This might be that I also called them to ask about transferring a booking form Carnival to them so that I could get my full discount and the $500. So they informed me that they would honor any discount and the full point discount.

I haven't ever had a problem with this card. I have gotten full carnival discounts while also getting $500 off for using 50,000 points.Not sure about the double dipping policy that they Seamiles has but they have never said anything to me like that. This might be that I also called them to ask about transferring a booking form Carnival to them so that I could get my full discount and the $500. So they informed me that they would honor any discount and the full point discount.

I transfered mine from Carnival and was still told the double dipping and had my $500 cut.

Archived