4 year old in a cast... what to do

clansac

Our son fell today and broke his foot. We have to see the orthopedist tomorrow to find out how long he'll be in a cast and what the plan is. We're supposed to leave on our cruise on RCCL in exactly 6 weeks.... If he's still going to be in the cast- does anyone know if he can still go to AO?

We booked a long time ago and got a really good deal but we also got insurance just in case... if he's in a cast should we cancel and reschedule?

We'll know more tomorrow but my first thought (bad mommy!) was "OH NO! The CRUISE!!!"

Okay... I don't have personal experience with AO... but I'm not sure how many with experience are going to be able to answer this one from personal experience either... so I'll give it my best guess. I can't think of a reason that a child would not be able to go to a Kid's Activity Centre because of a cast. With a 4 year old, also, the cast may well be ready to come off earlier than the 6 weeks an adult typically needs. The only issue I can see with a cast on a cruise is that you can't immerse them in water... unless it's waterproof, of course. :)

When my husband broke his leg a few years back, the doctor put on a removable cast that he could take off when he showered or went swimming. It was great. You might ask the doctor about that possibility.

Also, clansac is correct, children seldom need to wear a cast as long as an adult...sometimes as little as 3 weeks.

Don't cancel your cruise, he'll have a great time even if he has a cast on.

My 8 year broke his foot this year. He was only in a cast for 3 weeks.

I think he will be out in 6 weeks.

Besides if doesn't follow doc orders, you can hold this over his head? :)

My son was climbing the back yard tree with the cast on after 7 days.

Needless to say they heal alot faster than us adults.

My 9 year old is in a cast that is not scheduled to come off until Feb. I was worried at first (and yes...we have insurance) but after I saw how easy he gets around, I am to worried at all. I even called our excursion company (we are going to rent ATV's and ride on the beach) and they said no problem he can still ride! Gotta love Mexico;) We also bought him a waterproof cover so he can still swim (I hope it works).

Just got back from the orthopedist and he will be in a cast for at least 3 weeks but more likely 6- meaning his last week will be on our vacation. She said it's very close to the growth plate so she's being cautious. I'm going to make him be very very careful so that hopefully we'll be done in 4 or 5 weeks!

Thanks for your advice everyone! If anyone knows for sure that you can go to AO with a cast, I'd love to hear about it. I called RCCL but they didn't really have an answer. "Probably" and "I don't see why not" didn't really seem firm enough to me. DS will be totally bummed if he can't go with other kids!

Not only for the ease of bathing now but especially if he's still in the cast when you sail. We got this for my son's arm and it was fantastic. Make sure you get the 'swim' version and not just the shower version so you can totally submerse it without fear. It was *completely* waterproof.

Too bad we have the arm version, or I'd send you ours. I really hope not to need it again. ;)

http://www.drycast.com

My teenage son broke his wrist 5 days before a two week Boy Scout trip to Virginia... I took him to an ortho dr who removed the plaster ER cast and put on a waterproof cast made from Gortex. It cost about $25 more than plaster (not covered by insurance) and was worth it's weight in gold. My son could take showers, go swimming and get caught in a downpour without needing to go to another ER for a new cast. See if you can get your son one of these. This same son broke his leg at age two... right at the top where the bone enters the socket. They would have taken his body cast off at four weeks but I went for the full six... little kids' bones grow/heal FAST. Don't cancel your cruise just yet!

I actually begged for waterproof but they said they do not have a good material for feet that can also be used as a walking cast. Having him on crutches seemed more traumatic than not getting it wet. If he has to have it back on again after 3 weeks, I might have to rethink that decision.

Thanks for the tip on the drycast- I'll have to check it out!

I have observed kids with casts in AO (including a 8YO boy who broke his arm IN AO). But a lot will depend upon the staff in AO on your cruise. They have a lot of lieghway, but hopefully it should not be a problem.

I am lucky enough to be on a first name basis with our orthopedic surgeon, as soon as he realized that my daughter does everything 150%, plays hard, falls hard and there wasn't any need for DCFS. Anyway, after four years in a row of a May - June broken bone I consider myself somewhat of an expert. There is only one product out there that really really works (My OS will not use the "water" casts, he claims they are far inferior to traditional casts made now). Some casts have been 12 weeks some six, never three. My OS is very conservative and cautious and since he's a pediatric OS, he is more concerned with permanant problems rather than quick fixes.

Get yourself a xerosox. My daughter could go down waterslides and off the diving board with her cast cover and she was easily able to shower. They were great for keeping out sand as well. You can find them at xerosox dot com, but I suggest finding a medical supply store near you that carries them so you can try them on. They fit tight on the skin above the cast and there is a valve and pump to suck the air out once it's in place. They suggest not using it for more than 45 minutes at a time.

This product has been a LIFESAVER for us. Hopefully you can find one if you need it. One thing to keep in mind, when the cast comes off, your child will be uncomfortable for a few days at least. Make sure to still have some advil on hand until those muscles redevelop and get acclamated to movement again. Good Luck!!!!

my 9 year old son broke his wrist a few months ago and was in a cast for our 9 day med cruise. i live in ireland and we couldnt get waterproof casts so he couldnt swim on the cruise but at least in the med it was pretty cold and not really swimming weather (although his brother swum once). He went to AO no problem. they were brilliant. they let him play basketball and indoor ball games ....in fact they were better than his school which made him sit out these activities. the downside was that the day we got home he got his cast off! but he still had a great time.

Archived