Did We Almost Flip Over?

TEMPLE

Last February while on the Celebration, we hit rough seas in the middle of the night. I awoke to my husband saying "Holy ****, this ship is listing terribly.........." Then the crashing of glassware began in the kitchen above us and things flew off our dressers. Then the ship "corrected" and listed in the other direction.

The next day the CD said "it happens about every 7 years or so" that they have an incident like that. Other passengers vocally disagreed and said that it happens more than the cruise lines like to admit. Would we have capsized? Probably not, but I did hear several people at disembarkation say that they would NEVER cruise again.

So.... Perhaps then we come down to this: How would a smaller CCL ship (e.g. Holiday, Jubilee) fare in the teeth of a MAJOR hurricane. The hell with Olga. Lets talk Katrina or Rita. C'mon now, some of these major hurricanes have been brewing fast in the Caribbean/Gulf of late, potentially catching even our best technology watchers napping (Pearl Harbor are you listening?) Would the repeated pounding of bad-boy cat 4 or 5 size waves flip one of these ships??

Yeah, I hate too much reality crap too sometimes but I had to ask...:rolleyes:

We were out in the Atlantic coming back from Bermuda with the remnants of Hurricane Andrew back in '92 on the Nordic Prince, and although she was tossed around a bit, we made it back ok.

Nordic Prince was 23,200 tons and 637 feet long.:eek:

If it makes you feel ANY better....

My DH and his fishing buddies were 30 miles off the coast of GA yesterday. Rouge waves EVERYWHERE! They were in my DH's 28 ft boat. Waves hit them from every direction. One wave came over the front of the boat, had the boat nearly standing up in the water, another came from the port side making a grand attempt at rolling them.

Even in that small boat, they did not roll or flip. All the safety features worked properly and they brought home their limit of fish.:D (However the retired Marine my dh fishes with looked a little green!)

Rogue waves huh? :cool:

So.... Perhaps then we come down to this: How would a smaller CCL ship (e.g. Holiday, Jubilee) fare in the teeth of a MAJOR hurricane. The hell with Olga. Lets talk Katrina or Rita. C'mon now, some of these major hurricanes have been brewing fast in the Caribbean/Gulf of late, potentially catching even our best technology watchers napping (Pearl Harbor are you listening?) Would the repeated pounding of bad-boy cat 4 or 5 size waves flip one of these ships??

Yeah, I hate too much reality crap too sometimes but I had to ask...:rolleyes:

My niece was on the Holiday during Katrina. They spent extra time in Cozumel and returned to Tampa instead of Mobile--it was almost a week before they could retrieve their cars--CCL gave every passenger $200 to help with expenses getting to their homes etc. The trip was rough and some were sea sick. According to my niece they had a ball on the cruise and loved it.

Kinda surprising they would catch their limit of fish during a red tide! ;)

Mock if you would like, but I ate black sea bass last night and have enough in my freezer for a while!:rolleyes:

As far as the one who doubts the waves...trust me, they are bigger than the wakes you get in the lakes...and yeah, when a 75 year old Marine calls them rogue waves...you bet your booty that I wouldn't disagree.:mad:

My niece was on the Holiday during Katrina. They spent extra time in Cozumel and returned to Tampa instead of Mobile--it was almost a week before they could retrieve their cars--CCL gave every passenger $200 to help with expenses getting to their homes etc. The trip was rough and some were sea sick. According to my niece they had a ball on the cruise and loved it.

Whew! I can't imagine being on the Holiday during Hurricane Katrina. It must've been rough. I was on the Miracle during Hurricane Katrina, the ship rocked a little but not much. We rocked more on the Destiny trying to stay ahead of Hurricane Dean than we did on the Miracle. I was literally rolling around in bed on the Destiny. Good memories. :)

Sounds like my story. This was on the Elation gosh i would say 8 years ago. On our last night around 4am....The ships started shaking then leaning further and further on one side. It got so bad i had to put my foot on the wall in my cabin to keep my ballance. All our closet doors started flying open and stuff started falling off of tables in our cabin. Then the ships slowly started leveling back. The whole ordeal lasted bout a min. After that...I went around the ship and all the shops merchandise was all over the floor. The dishes in the dinning room were all broken on the floor. When we had breakfast that morning everything was cleaned up. The only frustrating thing is that the Carnival crew would not give me a direct or any answer as to why this happend. Don't get me wrong...I have sailed with Carnival 3 times since then and have a blast every time.

LOL No offense but if you asked me a stupid question like this when I had a crap load of cleaning up to do I'd ignore you too. Obviously the crew didn't tip the ship over for ****s and giggles. Common sense, it must've been a big wave or wind gusts. But this is just my opinion.

Well SHANTES. I would imagine if you were there you would want any sort of answers. NO OFFENSE but if you expericenced something like that I would imagine you would as any employee you see if you were not getting any answers.

That YouTube video shows you just how much a ship can take. (which is a lot)

The new Princess ship that had a severe list on one of its first sailings is probably the worst I have heard of and it still did not roll over.

The Crown's list had nothing to with weather but rather taking a sharp turn while sailing at full speed.

My DH and his fishing buddies were 30 miles off the coast of GA yesterday. Rouge waves EVERYWHERE!

Um, if rogue waves are "everywhere", then they're not rogue anymore. Or did you actually mean "rouge" as you wrote ? "Rouge" means red in French.

"Rogue" means something that is destructive, solitary, unpredictable...

Well SHANTES. I would imagine if you were there you would want any sort of answers. NO OFFENSE but if you expericenced something like that I would imagine you would as any employee you see if you were not getting any answers.

No, not really. Common sense would've told me that the ship must've been hit by a big wave or wind gust. And as long as no one was called to muster stations and told to put on lifevests, there would've been no need to trouble employees with such a stupid question. But, like I said that's just my opinion. Let's just agree to disagree. :)

I went on the Triumph 12/8-12/15 and during our trip the first couple days we were battling tropical storm Olga. At one point during the storm the ship slowly tilted to the left extremly hard. Things on our vanity fell to the floor and our wiater said they lost about 600 plates. The ship stayed tilted like that for like 10-15 seconds. Jus t when you thought it would balance it self it just kept going left. It was scary. Was anybody else on that cruise?

The cruise director got on the P.A and tryed to calm everyone basically saying " The captain has regained control of the vessel". :eek:

As if to say they lost control at some point?

What actually happended?

Can the ship actually flip over?

Ships can list, unfortuneately, and while it's scary, they *hopefully* are corrected. We were in the Med. on the Freedom last summer battling, clear skies :rolleyes: and listed for about 10 seconds (go figure) I actaually didnt mind it if you ask me, since it made the Roulette ball fall into a red slot.

Ships can list, unfortuneately, and while it's scary, they *hopefully* are corrected. We were in the Med. on the Freedom last summer battling, clear skies :rolleyes: and listed for about 10 seconds (go figure) I actaually didnt mind it if you ask me, since it made the Roulette ball fall into a red slot.

LOL Too funny. I played Roulette for the first time on the Destiny and fell in love. I'm not a gambler at all but I absolutely love that game. I won about $100 total. Maybe since I'm a little seasoned now I can start out playing with more than twenty bucks.

OK...just in case anyone missed my vague attempt at humor, the only word consistenly misspelled in this forum more than "rogue" (rouge) is "huge" (hugh). Just havin' a little fun.

Sorry, you are way wrong. It's steward ("stewart"), dining room ("dinning" room), and cruise ("crusie").:D

No, not really. Common sense would've told me that the ship must've been hit by a big wave or wind gust. And as long as no one was called to muster stations and told to put on lifevests, there would've been no need to trouble employees with such a stupid question. But, like I said that's just my opinion. Let's just agree to disagree. :)

If you get rear ended by a car...I am pretty sure you would want know how it happened to you. Just an analogy (big word for you I know)...But...i am pretty sure you would wanted to know the details. The only thing stupid are you comments. :)

DH and I sailed the same week as you except on the Liberty. We met with some people who were on your ship in St. Thomas and they were telling us all about it. Knowing how much our ship was rocking, I could only imagine that it was a frightful experience to have the ship tilting and things crashing.... ekkk..... :eek:

Archived