Nervous About Waverunner in Labadee

cruisinpatley

I plan to rent a waverunner with my DD in Labadee. My DW is very nervous to drive her own and has decided not to do it. I would hate for her to miss out on a fun adventure, not that lying out at the beach will not be fun. Has any inexperienced, very cautious individual done the wave runner?;)

I am confused; if you rent the drivers wave runner excursion, you can not go drive anywhere within limits on your own? It sounds by this response like you have to travel witha guided group?

Yes, you have to stay with the guides. One guide leads the group, and one is at the back of the group. Everybody has to keep up.I didn't like it, and I'm not a cautious person. Depending on your daughters age, I think this is an excursion you might enjoy on your own. Labedee is a beutiful safe island with lots to do. Your wife a daughter might want to go to the straw market while your on the jet skies:p

• 8 years later...

Just an FYI, my hubby and I use to own 1 which didn't work out cause I was a chicken on the back of it with him driving. We bought another one for me and it was a blast! I wouldn't be a passenger on one but be the driver and it is fun. I'm a chicken with the water and falling off and you can be careful and have fun and never fall off. It all depends on how fast you want to go and what you want to do.

Yes,...on the private beaches, the wave runners are "follow the leader"...you cannot go on your own, or go too fast...or too slow. You travel in a line with the group!

Hubby did it once...I just stayed on the beach and sunned and read my book! We don't have to be "joined at the hip"!

Edited by cb at sea

I have a full sized waverunner at home. While it's easy and fun for an experienced driver, the first time on one can be a little intimidating. Not impossible, but a little scary to handle. My Mom went on mine once and said never again. She didn't tip, just didn't like the uncertainty I guess. I love them, but would not do it in a line/group/follow-the-leader as that just doesn't sound like too much fun.

Yes,...on the private beaches, the wave runners are "follow the leader"...you cannot go on your own, or go too fast...or too slow. You travel in a line with the group!

I really do not know when your husband did this but this is not what happened to us the last 3 years we did them. 2013-2014-2015.

We were provided with a group orientation.

Video was about 10 min.

Then the instructor went over all the details of the ski.

Then ranked by skill level.

Then fitted with life vests,

On the jet ski first run went about 300 yards to a buoy.

They separated us by start times so no one was down anyones neck ahead of them.

After the first run they asked if anyone wanted to move back in the back to the slower people.

After that we took off, and yes it is follow the leader but it was full speed ahead. The person ahead of you was far away that you just followed his wake.

There were 3 women in their early 60's that just moved along at there own pace and the second guide stayed with them.

They tell you not too jump waves, but show you how if you want.

We meet up at different locations to re-create the group about 5 times.

It was great safe and fun.

Think about it do you want to go on a vacation in unfamiliar waters and do a jet ski and hit a sand bar, or go out to far and get into trouble.....

These guides know the waters and we had a blast.

By the way I am knocking very closely to the 60's and was ranked third the last time we did it.

DO IT !!!!

Pace yourself and have fun.

Safe travels.