Please Help With Tours

elou

We are 62 and 63 and went zip-lining for the fourth time last October while we were in Puntarenas. I don't particularly like heights, but it is so much fun I forget to be afraid! We used Greenway Tours and were very happy with them. Our other experiences were in Puerto Vallarta at Los Veranos, and I would also recommend them.

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from a cruise with a stop in Port Limon. We used JJ from <joiner72@hotmail.com> He customizes small/large groups with everything from ziplining to boat tours. JJ met us at the cruise port with a private van and took us first to the Tortugero National Park where our group went on a private boat tour of the canal. We got to see alll of the monkeys, sloths birds and crocodiles. He then took us to one of the larger banana plantation where he explained the entire process to us planting to processing/packaging. He was very informative because he had a degree in Ecological tourism. He also took us on a tour of the city and country. We stopped at one stand (his cousin) and sampled the local fruits/vegetables. And at a local resteraunt on the beach but he happily customizes the tour to your liking.

606032181_panamacruise110.jpg.af1c60816c8bbfa657c0dccfa2d36314.jpg

154546421_panamacruise099.jpg.ceb564a94803e26e74d3804630d02256.jpg

We just came back from a cruise with a stop in Port Limon. We used JJ from <joiner72@hotmail.com> He customizes small/large groups with everything from ziplining to boat tours. JJ met us at the cruise port with a private van and took us first to the Tortugero National Park where our group went on a private boat tour of the canal. We got to see alll of the monkeys, sloths birds and crocodiles. He then took us to one of the larger banana plantation where he explained the entire process to us planting to processing/packaging. He was very informative because he had a degree in Ecological tourism. He also took us on a tour of the city and country. We stopped at one stand (his cousin) and sampled the local fruits/vegetables. And at a local resteraunt on the beach but he happily customizes the tour to your liking.

Thanks for the info. We have also booked with JJ for our March cruise. How many people were in your group? Also, what did they serve for lunch at the local restaurant? Was that included in our tour price?

Was that a picture of JJ? We have him booked in February.

Did you need insect repellant on this tour? Thanks for the report.

Maddog and Bookbug,

Thanks for your comments. Could you tell me how long you stayed at the beach on these tours? I have heard the beaches were beautiful and I wanted to be able to relax there for awhile.

We were a Charlie Soto Tour with Ray and Stayton, it was fantastic. Part of which was lunch at Bonita Beach, with great fish and plantains cooked in coconut milk and other Costa Rica specialties including beer. This was included in the A 1 tour at $60 pp.

We met Danilo Hall there, who is another good tour operator. I thnk Soto, Oscar Brown, Danilo and perhaps JJ all use the same restaurant at Bonita.

The beach is a golden sand and a popular place for the locals. We were there perhaps an hour, but they can adjust the tour if you want more time.

Part of our port gear is always bug spray and sun screen. But no, we didn't need it as there were never any mosquitoes.

Certainly the tour was one of the high lights of our cruise, what a wonderful day.

We are booked with JJ for our stop in Costa Rica on the 21st. So far it is just my husband and I, but we are looking forward to the tour since there have been a lot of recommendations on his behalf here on the boards. We are taking the full day tour, which includes the zip lining, as well as the Tortugero Canals, a stop to sample local fruits, the banana plantation, lunch at Playa Bonita beach for swimming and lunch and Limon City tour. I can report back when we return.

dee

I went zip-lining for the first time this year in Mexico (I'm 46) and it scared the pants off me. I'm afraid of heights to a certain degree. But along with the height issue, one of my fears at that particular place, was the way they had us stop. They gave us a stick with a wedge on it, and you had to hold the stick above you on an upper cable and pull down hard to slow down and eventually stop (I was so afraid I was going to drop the stick, because it did not attach to our arm or anything)...

By any chance would your experience be on the Mayan Adventure through Alltournative Tours in Mexico? We did this tour with another couple (we all are in early 50's) and we thought it was great!

MayanAdventureCoba#5084557776604291746

I am 61 and active but am wondering if the zipline will be too much for me. Any thoughts on this and will it scare the pants off of me?

Maggie, we've been "ziplining" a couple of times now. both in Costa Rica. The last time was in December and we went with Turu Ba Ri Adventure Park from Puntarenas. They have a regular 12 platform line and then "Superman" which is 1 km straight and instead of being seated you lay face down. It was a hoot. My husband is 67 and I'm 59. You should be in decent shape since there is walking and stair climbing involved. Turu Ba Ri also has horseback riding, a rapelling wall, a tram, nature walk and all kinds of fun stuff. They picked us up at the port and brought us back. Since I don't know when you're thinking of doing this, I may be late.

i think you should do it, regardless of where it is.

We just did an AWESOME tour with Ollie at Greenway - we did the 6 in 1 tour and it was phenomenal. This was my 1st tour booked with an outside vendor (i.e. NOT through the ship) and DH and I cannot say enough good things about Greenway! Ollie obviously loves his job and loves his country very much.

here's the link to the tour:

http://www.shore-excursion.com/tours/limon_highligths.php

:D

We are 62 and 63 and went zip-lining for the fourth time last October while we were in Puntarenas. I don't particularly like heights, but it is so much fun I forget to be afraid! We used Greenway Tours and were very happy with them. Our other experiences were in Puerto Vallarta at Los Veranos, and I would also recommend them.

Hello, I am also having 2nd thoughts about ziplining. I don't have a fear of heights but I have a fear of falling. I hate rollercoasters. Do you think I will be afraid of the zipline? Why do they say not to do it if you have a heart condition if it is safe? As I write this I am talking my self out of it but at the same time I don't like to let fear get the best of me. What do you think? HELP! Jeanine Ps Also planning to use Greenway. Did you go to the Beach? Was it nice?

• 2 weeks later...
By any chance would your experience be on the Mayan Adventure through Alltournative Tours in Mexico? We did this tour with another couple (we all are in early 50's) and we thought it was great!

MayanAdventureCoba#5084557776604291746

Sorry AryMay, just saw your post. No I don't think this was the Mayan Adventure. It was through Palace Resorts, not sure what the name of the zip-line/tour was called. It was part of the included tours offered by Palace Resorts. It was fairly new, from what I understand (we went in June/2008) It was across the street from Moon Palace. It was fun, but it was scary!!

We are not spring chickens anymore. That being said, unless you have a significant fear of heights, you should seriously consider doing a zipline tour.

We have done the Original Canopy tour in Puntarenas (http://www.canopytour.com/mahogany.html) which is near the cruise terminal.

We also have done a zipline in Puerto Vallarta (http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/) or (http://www.puertovallartatours.net/l...anopy-tour.htm). This tour requires a somewhat longer bus ride from town.

We enjoyed both of them immensely. The guides all recognize that most people have a natural fear of flying through the trees hanging from a cable and take great care to assure you throughout the trip. I can't recall anyone who has been sorry they did this type of tour although all may well admit to some apprehension in the beginning.

Archived