calculating Mariner days

GAJE

This is a strange situation. After a completing a booked cruise this fall, we will officially have 99 days on HAL. However, two years ago our 16 day Hawaiian cruise turned into a 17 day cruise - due a crew member missing overboard. One whole day was spent in the ultimately unsuccessful search for him. With that sad event taken into consideration, we will actually have cruised 100 days. So, will HAL give us credit for 100 days? Receiving the medallion on that fall cruise would sure be nice!

Thanks for any advice.

Betty

IMO....... it is supposed to be days aboard and according to your situation, you have spent 100 days aboard.

To be sure there is no disappointment on your part, call (or e-mail) Mariners Society prior to your cruise and explain your circumstance. I'm guessing they credit you with the day.

According to what you say, you have been aboard 100 days.

Congratulations.

Betty, that is a very good question and my guess is you will have 100 days. Like mentioned I think I would call HAL and and ask. Also a lot depends on when you do your Immirgration form on line, there is a section that asks how many days and and what level you will be. Also about the 2nd day of the cruise you get a Disembarkation form while I always hate to see those so early it also asks how many days you have that include this cruise. By marking 100 days I am sure you will be included in getting your medallion because in fact you will have 100 days.:)

I have heard of people being surprised by getting their awards 2 or 3 days early, and I would bet that if you asked HAL would accommodate you! :)

John not always and actually have not heard anyone recently state this. Our cruise that ended 2 weeks ago placed us at 98 days and No Medallion:( But 5 weeks from today we return to the Oosterdam and I plan to be proudly wearing my Copper Medallion because we will have completed 105 days:D

Congratulations, Lisa. I know you are looking forward to receiving it.

I hope there is a way that the Yum Yummers who do not yet have a Medallion and won't be in Explorer's Lounge can see you get it.

Congratulations, Lisa. I know you are looking forward to receiving it.

I hope there is a way that the Yum Yummers who do not yet have a Medallion and won't be in Explorer's Lounge can see you get it.

Sail, Thanks I do too. I know like even John spoke of his Mariner Brunch this week and it really did not phase him on how they handled this. And I can only assume that once some have their medallions for a while it no longer means anything to them and so it is not a big deal. But after having gone to at least 11 Mariner Reception/Mariner Brunchs and watching those people receive their medallions and knowing that someday we too would be up there. It just still seems like such a let down to not be doing it in front of ALL Mariners. To me it would seem to me that HAL would want to impress and encourage those not yet at the 100 day mark to get them to continue to book more cruises. Like I have mentioned before by not recognizing those Mariners that have reached the medallion level how are the lower level Mariners even to know about this. Not one word is mentioned to them while the Medallion holders are in the Explorer's Lounge. All they get is a 3 minute Welcome talk with no mention of Mariner levels or recognition. If we were not close to getting a medallion I can certainly tell you this would be an event I would definitely pass on in the future:( While the lunch is a nice touch epecially with the good champagne and white wine. I certainly have other things I would like to be enjoying on a sea day.

Hello,

We are sailing Aust./N.Z. and was confused by my number of days. I e-mailed HAL and they promptly responded with our cruises and number of days. On every cruise we have been on they have asked us to fill out a form with our number of days, never knowing the exact number I just gave a good guess as I knew I was over 50 and not quite to 100.

We have always been then invited to a wine/appitizer reception that was attended by all Mariners and did get to enjoy seeing the Capt. give out the awards for most sea days, etc. It was well attended and was enjoyable to see how proud those were who were getting medillions were.

You can bet when we hit 100 I will be there standing tall. We need one more cruise....I better start looking for it now.:):):)

John not always and actually have not heard anyone recently state this. Our cruise that ended 2 weeks ago placed us at 98 days and No Medallion:( But 5 weeks from today we return to the Oosterdam and I plan to be proudly wearing my Copper Medallion because we will have completed 105 days:D

I know what you mean. We did back-to-back Alaskan cruises a few years ago and at the end of the first week we were short 2 days from getting our 100 day medal -- it was presented to us on the second voyage. No big deal for us.

BUT - on back-to-back cruises a couple of years we were short 3 days from getting our 300 day medals on the first segment. Guess what -- we got them on the first segment!!

Go figure!!!

:( While the lunch is a nice touch epecially with the good champagne and white wine. I certainly have other things I would like to be enjoying on a sea day.

You would have been very, very disappointed in our Ryndam "Brunch" -- cheap champgane and sour, warm wine. And you couldn't get refills in certain areas of the dining room. And the Captain sat at our table - made no difference - no refills.

My sister and I have been on 2 cruises, a 7 day Alaska and a 17 day Hawaii, so 24 days total and yet on the Hawaii cruise we received a 25 day pin..;) My sister and I were surprised and didn't expect it at all.

Archived