Customs, duty-free, etc etc

Jungle Jane

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, can someone explain all of this to me or point me in the direction of an explanation that is in simple English? I have never traveled outside the US and have no clue what any of this means, to go through customs, or duty-free this or that...

We are going on a western caribbean cruise in a month and would like to know what all of this means ahead of time.

Is there anything we can't take with us or bring back? We wouldn't bring cigarettes or alcohol anyway if that's one answer, I am already familiar with TSA laws regarding carry-on liquids etc, and I know about not being able to bring fruit and stuff like that. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks ever so much!

You will have to go through US Customs and Immigration when you return to the US. As far as Custom's allowances are concerned, you may bring back 200 cigarettes, 100 cigars (not Cuban) and one liter of alcohol. Your personal exemption is $800, unless you stop at St Thomas, where your exemption goes up to $1600, per person. But, at least $800 of that $1600 must be spent in St Thomas. Duty free is just another way of saying it's tax free. Many people confuse duty free thinking that you don't have to declare the items you bought outside the US. That's not true. As I said, duty free means that the store didn't have to pay tax on their items, so they can pass those savings on to you. No matter what you purchase, you must declare everything.

It's rather obvious the things you cannot take with you such as illegal drugs, weapons and the like. Things you cannot bring back include meat or fruits and veggies, animals, drugs, weapons and flowers. Those are mostly due to agricultural laws.

Kitty, awesome info, thanks!

So that means when we get back to port in Miami, there will be a line or something where we have to produce anything we bought? Do they search your carried and checked luggage? If you can't carry liquids on, do you have to rummage in your checked luggage for a bottle of booze to show them and then somehow get it back in the bag?

I'm not even planning on buying anything like booze or cigs, I collect shotglasses and may pick up a few of those, but just in case, I want to know what to expect.

You will receive a Customs form on-board a couple of nights before you disembark. On that form, you'll have to put some basic demografic info like your name, address, etc. Also on this form, you will write down ("declare") all merchandise you bought on your trip with their prices in US$ and total up those purchases. This form is not per person, but per family. You will sign this form.

As you disembark, you will first go through immigration. That's an oficial step of going back into the country. Here, you show your passport (residents show the green card too).

After immigration, you will pick up your luggage (that you left outside your door the night before WITH the tag given to you) and then head for the exit of the building. Before exiting, you will hand that Customs form to the Customs Official.

In 99.5% of the cases they just give it a quick once over and wish you a good day. In some cases, they'll pull a person over to a seperate room where they'll double-check that what was written down on the form was accurate OR because they feel that the person has lied on their form. Then, and only then, would you have to "show your purchases" to a Customs Official.

In my case, I do buy my full allowance of booze and cigarettes (especially when hitting St Thomas) and I make it a point to list them including where purchased since - technically - when hitting St Thomas you really get a second allowance on top of the regular one and each has its own rules.

I also group things together on that Customs form. For example, since you said you like shot glasses, let's assume you bought 1 on board, 2 in Jamaica, 2 in the Caymans, and 4 in Cozumel, each worth $5. I'd just write the following line on the form: "9 shot glasses........$45". Similarly, I group other things like chocolates, perfumes, etc. If I bought a bunch of little souvenirs in the different ports for co-workers then I just write "Misc. Souvenirs.......$XXX.XX".

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency link Dforeigner has provided has an excellent brochure wich details everything you need to know about making purchases outside the U.S. and what, and how much, you can bring in. The .pdf file will explain everything - and I mean everything.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Archived