Tomboy on formal night?

Jungle Jane

She has never had any problem with other people being mean to her for being herself, she knows it's possible tho'. She is well liked by all and makes friends very easily, has never been one to be "too cool", doesn't mind hanging out with kids that are younger than her or different in any way. I think many kids are envious of her ability to be self confident and not feel like she has to dress and act like all the other girls do. Believe me, I'm glad she dresses and acts the way she does, rather than wear slutty clothes and act like an idiot! She is her own person, marches to the beat of her own drum and I'm proud of her for it :)

That's great! As other said, you can be very proud of her. Have a great cruise!

She is her own person, marches to the beat of her own drum and I'm proud of her for it :)

This is the single most important sentence on this thread. I sincerely believe that people have to be comfortable with themselves and not follow along with everyone elses idea of what is right.

I have a teen daughter myself and although she dresses girly, she won't wear long prom type dresses. And I don't blame her, most of them just are not her style. Our compromise on a cruise is a short dress that she can then wear over jeans to school after the cruise. She's happier, she looks great and I don't have to spend the bucks on something I know will only be worn once for 2-3 hours.

Just from personal experience...

There are lots of sleek pretty things that she can wear that aren't fooo fooey and will still look nice on a formal night.

What about a pair of black Gap dress pants, a pair of black slides (no closed shoes -- too confining!) and a fitted black shirt with a long necklace?

Its not super dressy, but at least it shows respect for the formal evening without being uncomfortable

I have a pair of Liz Claiborne tux pants with grosgrain ribbon down the sides, just like a man's. I love to wear those with a frilly "tuxedo" shirt made for women and wear pretty jewelry, chandelier ear rings and strappy sandals. I much prefer that outfit to a gown. It feels more like "me."

I was thinking for your daughter the black tux slacks with, say, a red tux shirt or black tux shirt would never be mistaken for a waiter's attire, especially with necklaces, earrings and strappy sandals...perhaps with jeweled trim.

That jacket you pictured above would look great with this ensemble too.

I hope she has a really great time on formal night no matter what she finally does wear.

No, I meant you freaked me out b'c you posted that pic of a jacket and that is just the jacket we settled on before I even saw your post!

She has never had any problem with other people being mean to her for being herself, she knows it's possible tho'. She is well liked by all and makes friends very easily, has never been one to be "too cool", doesn't mind hanging out with kids that are younger than her or different in any way. I think many kids are envious of her ability to be self confident and not feel like she has to dress and act like all the other girls do. Believe me, I'm glad she dresses and acts the way she does, rather than wear slutty clothes and act like an idiot! She is her own person, marches to the beat of her own drum and I'm proud of her for it :)

One of my sons is like this so I understand.

Hey Freedom #1-you will be coming off FOTS as we are getting on! I noticed you have a "mom, grandma, daughter" from 9/06 listed in your past cruises-how was that? How old is your daughter? I am so excited to spend some girl (ok tomboy lol) time with my daughter!

I have a pair of Liz Claiborne tux pants with grosgrain ribbon down the sides, just like a man's. I love to wear those with a frilly "tuxedo" shirt made for women and wear pretty jewelry, chandelier ear rings and strappy sandals. I much prefer that outfit to a gown. It feels more like "me."

I was thinking for your daughter the black tux slacks with, say, a red tux shirt or black tux shirt would never be mistaken for a waiter's attire, especially with necklaces, earrings and strappy sandals...perhaps with jeweled trim.

That jacket you pictured above would look great with this ensemble too.

I hope she has a really great time on formal night no matter what she finally does wear.

I feel more like myself when dressed up in pants/blouse ensemble too.:) I wear dresses when I should, but I feel awkward because I don't look good in them.:o

By the way, I was a tomboy too, however unlike the OP, it drove my mother crazy.:D

:D Jane,...We had a great time. three genterations in a room getting ready for dinner can be tricky. Keep in mind your on vacation and you will have the time of your lives. I took my daughter parasailing in laberdee during that trip. HAD A BLAST!! We did it there, because they were Royal Carribean staff were completing the boat and parasail.

Freedom has a great teen program. At first my dtr did not want to go...but she didn't always what to hang with me either...that age she was able to come and go as she pleased. She'd always be in the teen disco sitting area chatting...ben and jerrys, coffee bar, library or with us.

I actually met a woman on cruise critic who was traveling with 3 generations well. we liked each other so much we decided to be dinner mates. In fact...I took her 16 year old son parasailing with us. Had a blast!!

The flowrider will be an exetreme fun time for your dtr and she'll love all the shows, johnny rockets, rock wall...ENJOY this wonderful ship.Enjoy your time together!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions....

Take care..Jennifer

... that I used to wear when women were wearing a lot of boots/jackets/jeans combos (90's?) and figured it was worth a try, DD liked it better than her sport coat!

Your input is very much appreciated, and thanks for supporting me in my decision to let my daughter be herself :)

-Jane

I just wanted to let you know that "menswear" is very in right now for women. Of course, they have it paired so it looks feminine not masculine. You may want to pick up a few fashion magazines to get some ideas. It might be a really good time to shop for things that are "her style" that you might not be able to find in a season or two.

I also really agree that kids can be (or feel) pigeon holed into a certain look. For example if she never wears dresses obviously wearing one to a dance or something would cause a lot of unwanted (I assume) attention. But a sleek menswear look that isn't far from her usual style might give her that extra boost of confidence. Really looking good and feeling good, without totally stepping out of her comfort zone.

I just wanted to let you know that "menswear" is very in right now for women. Of course, they have it paired so it looks feminine not masculine. You may want to pick up a few fashion magazines to get some ideas. It might be a really good time to shop for things that are "her style" that you might not be able to find in a season or two.

I also really agree that kids can be (or feel) pigeon holed into a certain look. For example if she never wears dresses obviously wearing one to a dance or something would cause a lot of unwanted (I assume) attention. But a sleek menswear look that isn't far from her usual style might give her that extra boost of confidence. Really looking good and feeling good, without totally stepping out of her comfort zone.

That's just the thing, she doesn't really care what's "in", she only cares what she's comfortable in-jeans and tees. NO ONE wears cut offs anymore, at least not around here, but her summer wardrobe consists of the same tees, with the same jeans cut off at the knees (not above!) because they're too short for her by summer anyway. For tees she buys Wal Mart $4 and a box of iron-on transfers and makes up her own sayings on them, like "That's How I Roll" with a picture of a Big Wheel, or a picture of Cookie Monster and a calculator and it says "C is for Calculus!" I'm telling you, she's her own kid! She would never open a fashion mag or care what's in. At least not right now, if she changes, and she might, that's fine, but her person and personality is what matters most to me, and it doesn't get any better :)

Archived