What's your favorite sea sick remedy?

kceasnick

In a couple of months, we'll be cruising for the first time. I don't anticipate any of us getting sea sick, but would like to go prepared, just in case. What remedies have you found to be most successful for curing sea sickness?

I swear by the electronic relief band, but it is costly (over $100, and the batteries are expensive). therefore, I would not invest in one unless you decide you like cruising. I would take dramamne along, and ginger tablets or ginger candy, and maybe the cheap elastic wristbands that have a kind of dircle that goes on the pressure point of the wrist, just to be prepared.

Bonine or the generic ingrediant equivelant has worked for me as well as my DD.

I start taking it the day we fly and then one every night on the ship. It does NOT make me sleepy and I can still enjoy a few drinks without any ill effects!:D I would never cruise without it. My Dh does fine without anything though - I will not take the chance!

We have done well with Bonine but for it to be effective you must take it prior to feeling sea sick. It last for 24 hours.

We also use wrist bands.

What I have learned from personal experience and from talking with others is that there is not one approach that fits all. For example, the sea bands work well for about 50 of the folks who try them and the manufacturers clearly state that. Others prefer medications such as Bonine. Still others prefer the patch. Bonine is sold over the counter but for the patch you need a prescription from your doctor or other medical professional.

So, try out a couple of these and overtime you will figure out which one works best for you.

Keith

Bonine has never let me down. I take it just before dinner the DAY BEFORE we board the ship. Then I take it each day just before dinner. It last 24 hours and works best when it has had time to get into your system before you need it.

I've suffered from motion sickness my entire life. It's the main reason I didn't start cruising until a few years ago. It is NO fun.

For the first time, I tried Ginger capsules. I started on Sunday morning before we flew down to FLL that evening (day before the cruise). I took one every am and pm.

I also started the generic Bonine they provide on the ship but didn't start that until the afternoon we sailed.

We had very choppy waters that first afternoon/night and I had no problems at all.

We had 9' swells on our last day (at sea) and I had no problems.

In fact, this was the first time I've ever sailed and had absolutely no problems. I did have sea bands with me but never even opened the package (I'd used them in the past with mixed results).

I'm thrilled with the fact that I'm no longer worried about the number of sea days. That was a deciding factor in the past as to which itinerary I'd select.

Of course, my next experience may be different, depending on the ship and the seas, but I'm going to rely on the ginger/bonine + sea bands if needed.

Just stand out on the top decks. Fresh air and visual orientation with the horizion is the best medicine I have found. Inside below decks for the first time in a rolling ship without visual reference to tell your brain that you are indeed in motion is almost a guarantee of that nauseous dizzy feeling.

Which ever method you choose I would echo the advice to start it before you need it.

We had calm seas and just a little side to side motion on our Mexican Riviera cruise. We didn't realize that as the ship picked up speed to head back to LA on the last sea day there would be some pretty strong fore to aft rocking. My poor husband was pretty miserable that last day. He didn't take the Bonine until he was already sick so it took all day to kick in.

I've used both the prescription patch and the Meclazine you get onboard from the front desk.

I put on the patch before we sailed, and used the meds during the cruise.

I have to say, the patch made me very sleepy. You also get "dry mouth".

I will probably use the meds in the future.

Pat

Archived