Alaska Airlines Boardroom

ladyhoneybee

I tried searching for my answer in this forum, but didn't see what I was looking for so maybe someone here can enlighten me :)

The DH, myself, and our 11 and 9 year old kiddos are flying first class on Alaska Airlines from O'Hare to Anchorage. We are not members of the boardrooms and our first class seats are courtesy of our American Airlines frequent flier miles. Our layover in Chicago is 4 hours so I was curious as to whether we would be allowed in the boardroom by showing our first class boarding pass or if one must be a paid boardroom member or an Alaska Airlines frequent flyer.

Thank you!

Typically a domestic-only first class ticket does not qualify for entry into any of the airline club lounges.

I'm sure though that someone on this board can give a specific answer as I know that policies do vary from airline to airline.

Thank you, JJPNYC- I didn't realize that quite often one must be traveling internationally for free access. I will keep this in mind and see if anyone else knows for certain that this is the case.

It's not a big deal if we can't go in... I just figured, if it was available to us, why not :D

If you have a first class ticket using miles (not upgraded from economy), then yes, Alaska Air lets you into their boardroom (lounge). They are one of the few airlines that allows this. This is one reason why I try to book first class award tickets when traveling to Alaska and using Alaska Air part of the way. Their boardrooms are some of the best lounges going and the staff is VERY helpful - last summer my flight from Anchorage to King Salmon (Katmai NP) was delayed, meaning I would miss my floatplane connection. They went out of their way to feed me and another person names of lodging possibilities in King Salmon. You will get spoiled if you stay in the boardroom too long :D

The only first class tickets that don't allow access to their boardroom is if you book an economy class ticket then get upgraded (mainly for frequent flyers who automatically get upgraded).

John

There is no Boardroom at O'Hare. The "reciprocal club" is the Delta Crown Room in Terminal 3, Concourse L.

I THINK your AA/AS FF tickets are booked in Z class, if it is the AA codeshare flight.

Do you know if you are on the codeshare flights? An indication would be whether you have a nonstop. If it is AA flight 6841, this is the AA codeshare, booked into Z class and NO lounge access.

If it is truly an Alaska Airlines flight (non codeshare) and booked into A Class (which are first class awards on Alaska), you will have lounge access. But because of the reciprocal agreement, the Crown Room can deny access if the lounge is crowded.

From admit policies on the web:

Passengers ticketed in First Class in either F or A class have access to the Alaska Airlines Board Room included in their ticket (excluding reciprocal agreements with other airline clubrooms). Passengers traveling on an upgraded ticket booked in U class do not have access.

There is no Boardroom at O'Hare. The "reciprocal club" is the Delta Crown Room in Terminal 3, Concourse L.

Ah, I see that now on the Alaska Air site! I didn't notice that it was the Delta Crown Room. Thanks for pointing that out.

I THINK your AA/AS FF tickets are booked in Z class, if it is the AA codeshare flight.

Do you know if you are on the codeshare flights?

I am not sure what class the tickets are booked in ~ I just know that we are on Alaska Air flight 131 and it's booked through AA with AA miles [again, not an upgrade]. No biggie if we don't have access [or if we DO and we get turned away due to the lounge being crowded]. Good to know this info in advance, though, to avoid any surprises.

Doesn't matter to me ~ I know we will be in fantastic spirits lounge or no lounge as we will be on our way to experience a fabulous time in Alaska :D Looks like we might be spending a while at one of the O'Hare restaurants!

Ah, I see that now on the Alaska Air site! I didn't notice that it was the Delta Crown Room. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am not sure what class the tickets are booked in ~ I just know that we are on Alaska Air flight 131 and it's booked through AA with AA miles [again, not an upgrade]. No biggie if we don't have access [or if we DO and we get turned away due to the lounge being crowded]. Good to know this info in advance, though, to avoid any surprises.

Doesn't matter to me ~ I know we will be in fantastic spirits lounge or no lounge as we will be on our way to experience a fabulous time in Alaska :D Looks like we might be spending a while at one of the O'Hare restaurants!

AS 131 is AA 6841 (codeshare-only AS nonstop out of ORD to ANC. All other AS flights stop in Seattle). I sure would give it a try, but the rule: is Z class (full miles FC award ticket), non transcontinental-no access. If the Delta Crown Room isn't busy, they should let you in. AA (Admiral's Club) of which there are 3 in Terminal 3 most likely won't. Good luck!!!

I doubt you will get into any lounge other than Alaska's own when flying First Class on Alaska Air (if you were a member of the Boardroom, that would give you reciprocal access to Delta's Crown Room Club), unless they were being generous and nice that day. But you could go to the Boardroom upon arrival in Anchorage if that interests you. However I think your flight arrives so late that the boardroom in Anchorage is closed. Maybe on the return?

John

Thanks everyone for the info! We're not flying from Anchorage on the way home and we're on AA for the rest of our flights.

Just thought it might be nice to rest comfortably in the lounge for our layover... then again... I'll be SO excited, rest probably won't even be possible so it looks like one of O'Hare fine eateries is in our future.

I think you should be OK at the Boardrooms. I've flown on Alaska a number times in First Class always as AA codeshares. The first time I went armed with my BA Exec Club Gold card (they are mileage partners) because as usual when flying in the US I didn't think my F ticket alone was enough to got me into the Boardroom. The guy said, 'Afraid you can't come in with that card, oh you're in First Class, make yourself at home' and all was done. I didn't get the impression that being on award tickets would make any difference in this situation.

The one thing is I always seem to have problems getting my boarding passes from the kiosks when on the AA codeshares so you'll need to go to the desks, unless something has changed of late.

The Anchorage Board Room is pretty nice from an ammenities perspective - wireless, beer and wine, continuous snacks - when compared to the Admirals club standard domestic US service (outside Flagship lounge). It is in the new section of the airport with comfortable furnishings and the staff is friendly. However the club is somewhat small and can get quite crowded at peak late afternoon times - especially in the summer.

The Anchorage Board Room is pretty nice from an ammenities perspective - wireless, beer and wine, continuous snacks - when compared to the Admirals club standard domestic US service (outside Flagship lounge). It is in the new section of the airport with comfortable furnishings and the staff is friendly. However the club is somewhat small and can get quite crowded at peak late afternoon times - especially in the summer.

The problem for the OP is that they are arriving into Anchorage after the Baordroom there closes and are not flying out of Anchorage. So they won't be able to use the one in Anchorage.

John

The problem for the OP is that they are arriving into Anchorage after the Baordroom there closes and are not flying out of Anchorage. So they won't be able to use the one in Anchorage.

John

Is the long connection at ORD? If the delta club is an issue, they should just hang out in the Admirals Club between H&K? I wonder if the OP is an Admirals Club member given they are on AA first class passes? Alaska departs out of L which isn't too far of a walk and doesn't require leaving the secure area. They are already probably flying in to ORD on an AA flight which will use the H or K gates.

Is the long connection at ORD? If the delta club is an issue, they should just hang out in the Admirals Club between H&K? I wonder if the OP is an Admirals Club member given they are on AA first class passes? Alaska departs out of L which isn't too far of a walk and doesn't require leaving the secure area. They are already probably flying in to ORD on an AA flight which will use the H or K gates.

Per the posts above, the OP is flying first class on Alaska, no club/lounge membership with any airline. Most likely no access to any lounge - only if the lounge gatekeepers wish to make an exception. The written policy is that flying domestic first class does not gain access to a lounge unless flying first class on Alaska and visiting an Alaska Air boardroom.

OP posted they were not AC members. And ABSOLUTELY NO way to get into the AC with Alaska FC award tickets (unless one of the AAangels is in a good mood-in ORD-doubtful).

Heck, they don't even let their own AAdvantage elite fliers into the AC on domestic FC itineraries, EXCEPT for transcons (which is NOT ORD/ANC). And then access is only for those booked in F or Z. No access without membership for this EXP on a domestic itinerary (who flies first 95% of the time).

One big reason I keep renewing my AC membership-no access on domestic flights without an F or Z ticket and I sure am not using miles to book a transcon. AA first class domestic on a 738/757/Mad Dog is NOT FC to me. You want to talk about 777 and 762, whole different story.

... Heck, they don't even let their own AAdvantage elite fliers into the AC on domestic FC itineraries, EXCEPT for transcons (which is NOT ORD/ANC). And then access is only for those booked in F or Z. No access without membership for this EXP on a domestic itinerary (who flies first 95% of the time).

One big reason I keep renewing my AC membership-no access on domestic flights without an F or Z ticket and I sure am not using miles to book a transcon...

I am well aware of AA's rules and aircraft as I have flown on them as my primary carrier for many years. I keep membership in the Admiral's club for similar reasons as neither my professional nor personal travel supports the outright purchase of a F or J class ticket. My trips to business class or domestic "first" are exclusively through the upgrade process for exec platinum.

Another option for those with AC membership might be the American Express Platinum card. Holders of this card can now access the AC with a same-day ticket on American. Cost is $450/year (so roughly the same price as an AC membership) but also gives access to CO/DL/NW lounges when traveling the respective airline and numerous other benefits. Up to three secondary cards costs $175 total (not $175 per card). So it really makes it reasonable if several family members/good friends go in on it together (obviously they must be trustworthy since the primary cardholder is responsible for all charges).

Archived