Cancelling a Glory Cruise Because of Family Death?

Yvonne

Has anyone here ever had to cancel their cruise because of a close family member dying? What procedure did you have to go through with Carnival? Did you have your cruise insured, and how hard was it to get your money back? Or did you just re-schedule your cruise?

My husband and I are booked on the Glory January 12th. We are flying down to Florida on the 10th, 3 days from now. But, my father is in a nursing home and not doing well. We just don't know what to do. Go, and wonder if every day we will get a phone call that he has passed? Stay home and cancel it, and he could hang on for some time yet? We just don't know.

Has anyone ever been ON their cruise and get a phone call that someone has died and you have to leave the cruise? How hard is it to get a flight home from Cozumel, Nassau or Belize? Is Carnival helpful in situations like that?

Any help or experience with this that anyone can give me will be appreciated, thanks so much.

Yvonne,

I am booked on same cruise. I know how excited we are and I hate for you that your excitement is dampened by your family situation. All I can tell you is that my brother in law and sister had to forfeit the cost of their cruise a few years back for the same reason. They will be on the Glory (Jan 12) with us but purchased insurance this time just in case of another crises. I hope it all works out for you. We would love to share the experience with you. Most of all I hope your father takes a turn for the best either way.

cw5joevon: Thanks so much for your kind words.

That's too bad your sister and brother-in-law had to forfeit the cost of their cruise a few years ago for the same reason. It's bad enough to lose a loved one, but to lose all that money too, ouch.

We do have cruise and airfare insurance but I have no idea of the procedure to follow to get the money back.

My uncle was on a cruise when my father died. They were able to fly him home. I think the hardest part was getting in touch with him as this was back in the day in which only wealthy people had cell phones. I honestly don't remember what island he was on at the time or what they did about a refund. Best wishes to your family.

Yvonne,

Did you purchase your insurance through Carnival? If so, you have nothing to worry about re: cancelling prior to the cruise. Should the insurance company deny the claim for "pre-existing condition", Carnival will refund the penalty.

I've had clients who needed to cancel at the last minute due to the loss of an immediate family member. Because that person had been ill for a long time, the insurance company denied the claim stating that the guests should have known better than to book the cruise in the first place (more or less). We fought, got a letter from the doctor, etc as back-up that the mother was stable at the time of booking and ultimately did get a refund. But it wasn't easy.

However, Carnival's insurance does include that clause. You'd still have to go through all the hassle of a claim (PITA under the best of circumstances), but you'd have that additional layer of protection.

IMHO it would be risky to proceed with the cruise because you know the situation is tenuous. Yes, the cruise line is likely to assist with your arrangements if you need to fly home, but you would do so at your own expense. Then you'd have to file a claim. I think the insurance company would be quick to determine that you should have cancelled prior to departure. Whether or not they'd actually refund your expenses is anyone's guess.

You asked how easy it was to fly back from Belize, Cozumel, and Nassau - it depends on whether or not you have a passport and a credit card with a large amount of money on it to buy a last minute plane ticket. Normally with travel insurance in a situation like this, you pay up front then submit your receipts with a claim form to the insurance company and then are sent a reimbursement check. But as people said above - check with your insurance company.

Definitely speak with your father's doctors and nurse's. They should have a good understanding about what is going on. We had the same dilema for our last cruise. The Dr. encouraged us to go. She knew what was ahead for us. I am glad we went.

Also speak with family members and see how they feel. IF something happened would they be willing to wait for your return?

It is definitely a hard decision. But remember you do not have to make the decision until right before boarding the plane or even for that matter the boat. My husband wanted to cancel the day Mom went into the hospital and I told him to wait we don;t have to make the decision until the day we were to leave. Mom actually made the decision for us. She was adament that we go.

Again I am so glad we went. Two months later we moved in with her to care for her and had the roughest but most rewarding four months with her. She made us promise we would take our three girls on a cruise for all their help and love they gave her.......Well we leave this saturday. Although we miss her terribly we have wonderful memories and will celebrate her on the cruise with our extended family....all ten of us!

I wish you luck in this difficult decision and during these hard times.

We cruised one year, knowing my mother in law was living what was probably her last moments. My husband told his family, we were going on a cruise and to do whatever they felt they had to do if something happened. He did not want to be called or notified while we were away if she passed away.

He said it wouldn't make a bit of difference whether he was sitting at the house with his crying sisters or not. The worst part would be knowing and not being able to leave, so he didn't want to know until we got back.

I know you probably think this sounds very selfish, but it worked out for the best in the long run.

Friend's of ours mother passed while they were on a cruise and they're family chose not to tell them until they got home. The funeral home just waited a week and held the services when they got back.

We were faced with the same situation last year. EXCEPT we did not buy the Insurance. DW's father was in hospital and was expected to be home prior to our scheduled departure.

This trip included DW, myself, DD, DS and DIL (their Christmas Present) along with our neighbors and their DD. As of Wed. morning we were up in the air as to what to do. FIL was in ICU and we needed to leave Friday AM to drive to NOLA to catch the Fantasy on Sat.

We were really torn as to what to do. I told Wife we could send the kids, (ages 20 and 22) on along with the neighbors if they all wanted to still go. As it turns out that Wed. AM he took a large turn and passed on to Heaven. We decided to do as some have suggested and post-poned any services for about 3 weeks. (Made much easier by his wishes to be cremated) So by Wed PM we had his arrangements started and began the 2 hour trip home. During the day Wed we spoke to the other family members and all decided to wait the 3 wks or so for a memorial service and that we would go ahead on our cruise. I defered this decision mostly to my wife. Together we decided to go ahead and looking back, we thought then and still believe, it was the best thing we could have done. This was aided by the fact my SIL who was at hospital at the time lives in Wisc. and really needed to go back there and pack for the rest of her family before any memorial service. (she is married with 4 children and FIL lived in Tupelo, MS)

We have the Glory booked for June and DID BUY THE INSURANCE! I would say as for me, if it was my family........... I would do as suggested and tell them. I am going on my cruise, Mom/Dad knows that and that I care for them deeply. If something happens please dont tell me atleast till Im back in port.

I empathize with your position, but in no way envy it. This is the kind of thing each person has to decide for themselves and what they can live with.

Best wishes for all involved.

BTW, We had a great time on our cruise. We did all we wanted to and met a couple from our home-town that we are booked with this coming June. It was just what we needed after having gone down the hospital route and all the drives back and forth to MS. We have no regrets for the time spent traveling. BOTH the cruise and the trips to and from MS to help care for my FIL.

Very sorry for your troubles. I would cancell, book another time, and be with your dad. :o Think of the hassle it would be to have to forfeit part of your trip if he passed while you were away. Go with what your heart tells you.

We cruised one year, knowing my mother in law was living what was probably her last moments. My husband told his family, we were going on a cruise and to do whatever they felt they had to do if something happened. He did not want to be called or notified while we were away if she passed away.

He said it wouldn't make a bit of difference whether he was sitting at the house with his crying sisters or not. The worst part would be knowing and not being able to leave, so he didn't want to know until we got back.

I know you probably think this sounds very selfish, but it worked out for the best in the long run.

Friend's of ours mother passed while they were on a cruise and they're family chose not to tell them until they got home. The funeral home just waited a week and held the services when they got back.

Not at all, not much he could have done while away on a cruise. My husbands mother passed away when we were gone and we didn't find out until we returned. Absolutely nothing we could have done, wouldn't have made a difference and she was 83. Plus I'm certain she would have wanted my husband to enjoy his family at Xmas time and not have it spoiled.

Thank you all for your responses, kind words, and letting me know how similar situations worked out for you. I did call Access America (the company we purchased our cruise/air fare insurance from) this morning and explained the situation fully, and she said that even though my Dad is in a nursing home, the pneumonia was an unforeseeable circumstance so we should have no trouble getting our money back.

We do have passports, and money available on the credit cards in case we would need to purchase more tickets to fly home if we were to decide to go and then have to come home early if needed.

But, Mom went to see Dad today and she talked to one of the nurses and she said it is probably a matter of 2-3 days. :( We will be talking to the doctor tomorrow, so we'll get his opinion and let him know of our upcoming trip and see what he says. But I don't see us going. I am an only child so don't have any brothers or sisters to discuss things with, but I am all that my Mom has to lean on. So I don't think I could ever tell her wait to have the funeral (she is against cremation) until we get back. We would not enjoy the cruise that way.

I may call Carnival and see if it is possible to just postpone the cruise a month or two, or would we still have to file a claim with insurance and then just re-schedule it. If we can't postpone, we'll probably just cancel and file a claim with the insurance company. I'm so glad we always purchase insurance before our cruises, but we've never had to use it until now.

Sounds like you are making the right decision for you and your family!

Sounds like other than the time of dealing with it, You will not lose anything on your trip and you can certainly rebook at a later date and not have the stresses of wondering and worrying about whats going on back home.

As others have suggested............FOLLOW YOUR HEART.

My previous post was what we did and it worked for us. You do what you have to do and dont regret it!

Don

Yvonne,

I am so sorry to hear that you may not be joining us on the cruise. I know you are disappointed. Thank God there will be many more cruises and life experiences for you. I know your mother and father will appreciate your presence. God Bless you and your family. My family and I will surely pray for your peace during this time.

Yvonne,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. My wife and I were 3 hours from boarding last year when she got the call her father passed. We called the cruise to notify them first then called Access America. We had to supply an original death certificate and got our reimbursement about a month or so later. Unfortunately, I don't think Carnival will allow you to "transfer" the cruise. Get your money from AA and rebook. Our thoughts are with you.

Shaun

Yvonne,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. My wife and I were 3 hours from boarding last year when she got the call her father passed. We called the cruise to notify them first then called Access America. We had to supply an original death certificate and got our reimbursement about a month or so later. Unfortunately, I don't think Carnival will allow you to "transfer" the cruise. Get your money from AA and rebook. Our thoughts are with you.

Shaun

We were on our way to Port Canaveral last septemberwhen we received a call that my dad had died of a heart attack that morning. We turned around to go home and called Carnival on the way to cancel Carnival's insurance covered our fare. The only cost to us was the insurance premium.

And we almost didn'tbuy the insurance to start with.

Archived