Carnival Southern Caribbean Cruise 2008

Hi,

I would like to ask the great people here about the southern Caribbean cruises from Carnival. I've been to the Carnival website (many times) and can't decide!!

We have been to the western, and we've been on 2 eastern cruises (same ship) in the past. I'd love to plan one for the southern Caribbean, and would like your input on the various destinations... tips..etc..

Which is the best itinerary? What islands do you recommend? What length of time should we consider? (8 or more days?)

I'd love to stay with Carnival.

Hi!

We've done one southern cruise-loved it, and will be cruising 2-27 south Caribbean once again. 8 days on the Miracle to St Martin, St Lucia and St Kitts.

-3rd time to St Martin - absolutely love it, and St Kitts and St lucia are relatively new....

What ports are you looking for? Aruba's not available, as far as I know.

-Make sure you choose a ship with overall reviews that are excellent.

Goodluck!!!

You can't really lose though, whatever you pick, I'm sure it'll be great!

MMMike

We've been on the Destiny twice and have another cruise on her scheduled for June 22. She is a wonderful ship and you would have a great time. The Itinerary is the best in the fleet with 6 islands. The food is great and the crew is the best.

We did the St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts deal on the Legend prior to the ship change. St. Maarten never gets old...very nice. St. Lucia...meh...very run down and dirty if you ask me...nothing special. St. Kitts is very nice...If you found another sailing w/o St. Lucia I would take that one.

We're just back from the Southern Carib cruise on the Destiny. We loved all the ports of call especially St. Lucia! We took Cosol's tour. If you read the POC board you'll find all you need to know about his tour, including how to book. You won't regret booking with him.

St. Lucia is not run down and dirty. It is definitely not suburban America, just like most of the islands you will visit. St. Lucia is a beautiful, natural island with very friendly people. The people of St. Lucia were the friendliest we met in all 6 ports of our cruise! They weren't in your face selling their wares and were great about answering all of our questions.

We're just back from the Southern Carib cruise on the Destiny. We loved all the ports of call especially St. Lucia! We took Cosol's tour. If you read the POC board you'll find all you need to know about his tour, including how to book. You won't regret booking with him.

St. Lucia is not run down and dirty. It is definitely not suburban America, just like most of the islands you will visit. St. Lucia is a beautiful, natural island with very friendly people. The people of St. Lucia were the friendliest we met in all 6 ports of our cruise! They weren't in your face selling their wares and were great about answering all of our questions.

Although we did the southern caribbean on Princess and not Carnival I totally agree with you. St. Lucia was our favorite port. Absolutely beautiful. We are planning a land vacation there. And they were the friendliest of all the ports we visited.

Also San Juan is one of our favorites too.

We've been on the Destiny twice and have another cruise on her scheduled for June 22. She is a wonderful ship and you would have a great time. The Itinerary is the best in the fleet with 6 islands. The food is great and the crew is the best.

We'll be getting on the ship as you are getting off:)

I have been on the Destiny Southern a few times already, it is one of my favorite iteneraries.

Have a great cruise!

We had 3 couples on the Destiny south Caribbean trip this past Aug. We all enjoyed it very much. The food wasn't as good as the Miracle that we were on the previous year. But the ports were great. I arranged diving (I'm a diver) snorkeling combo tours for each morning, followed by land tour of the island, before getting back on ship. For the 6 of us, it worked out great.

Lora! You're back! Congratulations on your marriage! How was your trip?? I can't wait to read your review!

To the OP: We are going on the Destiny on our Southern Carribean cruise next month. I will definitely report back.

Hi 4 of us went on Destiny to Southern Caribbean and really loved the ship and all 6 islands So I would book it Does any one know a good western mediterranean cruise on Carnival? Naples is where my grandparents were born and would like to go there Thank You to All who can help me Bee

Lora! You're back! Congratulations on your marriage! How was your trip?? I can't wait to read your review!

To the OP: We are going on the Destiny on our Southern Carribean cruise next month. I will definitely report back.

The review is almost done! I'm hoping to have it up by tomorrow.

We had a great time! A few hiccups but nothing that stole my sunshine! :D

For Dec 08. We are booked on Serenade RCCL, but they are having downgrades and some people aren't happy about the way they have handled the fuel surcharge. I had my cruise booked months ago, but still have to pay. I have been thinking of switching to the Victory for the so carb cruise. What do ya'll think? I could save about $250.

Wow, thanks! I'm going to pull up Destiny and Miracle's itineraries.

We have been to St Maarten. It was fun, as we also visited the French side.

I just finished a pretty lengthy review on the Destiny.. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=687209) For a ship as old as she was, she didn't show much at all as far as wear and tear goes. I have also been on the Miracle (Western Carrib) and I would have to say I prefferred the layout of the Destiny over the layout of the Miracle. My one complaint about the Destiny was the buffet lines. We just did what we needed to to avoid them once we realized how bad they were. (i.e. breakfast in the dining room... later lunches, but that was partly because we were on the ilands 5 out of 6 days)

You could also consider the Carnival Liberty 8 Day eastern itinerary stopping in : San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau.

It's not offered that often, and is only around till April, but it looks like a pretty nice one.

You could also consider the Carnival Liberty 8 Day eastern itinerary stopping in : San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau.

It's not offered that often, and is only around till April, but it looks like a pretty nice one.

We did this one in October and absolutely loved it. We would love to do the same itinerary again. All very beautiful islands and never had a problem with anyone bothering you to buy their stuff.

For Dec 08. We are booked on Serenade RCCL, but they are having downgrades and some people aren't happy about the way they have handled the fuel surcharge. I had my cruise booked months ago, but still have to pay. I have been thinking of switching to the Victory for the so carb cruise. What do ya'll think? I could save about $250.

Here's my honest opinion. Book Princess. We just did the southern on the Crown Princess and it was one of the best cruises we have ever taken. We have cruised Carnival and RCCL also.

I believe the Caribbean Princess will be taking over the Crown's itinerary in Dec. 08.

Good luck!!

Funny how people's opinions can vary so much!

Out of the many Carib islands and ports I have been to, St Maarten is one of my absolute least favorites. In fact, I specifically choose cruises that do not have that as one of the ports. Why? Because there is shopping and beaches. That's pretty much it. I don't like to shop, and I can lay in the sun quite comfortably on the ship.

The last poster said "sail Princess." Again, I beg to differ. I won't take Princess again unless it is the only way to get a specific itinerary. Well, maybe in another 20 years I'll consider Princess again. (ps - I'm 40, not a hard partying teenybopper.) On the Sea Princess a few years ago, there was nothing happening at night - the ship was almost deserted by 9pm.

Southern Carib is great - I love the variety. It's hard to say what is "best" without knowing a person's likes/dislikes, etc. The islands run the gamut: lush tropical to dry desert, mountainous to flat, beautiful beaches to none, great shopping to minimal, lots of history to none. There are very few ports that I've been to that I haven't appreciated for some reason - you just need to book excursions (private guides are better!) that fit the personalities and desires of the cruisers, and all will be great!

If you have questions about specific islands, it would be much easier to help. Or if you describe specific things you like to do/see, it would be easier to determine which islands would work best for you.

Funny how people's opinions can vary so much!

Out of the many Carib islands and ports I have been to, St Maarten is one of my absolute least favorites. In fact, I specifically choose cruises that do not have that as one of the ports. Why? Because there is shopping and beaches. That's pretty much it. I don't like to shop, and I can lay in the sun quite comfortably on the ship.

The last poster said "sail Princess." Again, I beg to differ. I won't take Princess again unless it is the only way to get a specific itinerary. Well, maybe in another 20 years I'll consider Princess again. (ps - I'm 40, not a hard partying teenybopper.) On the Sea Princess a few years ago, there was nothing happening at night - the ship was almost deserted by 9pm.

Southern Carib is great - I love the variety. It's hard to say what is "best" without knowing a person's likes/dislikes, etc. The islands run the gamut: lush tropical to dry desert, mountainous to flat, beautiful beaches to none, great shopping to minimal, lots of history to none. There are very few ports that I've been to that I haven't appreciated for some reason - you just need to book excursions (private guides are better!) that fit the personalities and desires of the cruisers, and all will be great!

If you have questions about specific islands, it would be much easier to help. Or if you describe specific things you like to do/see, it would be easier to determine which islands would work best for you.

You are right. Different strokes for different folks! Just like I was hesitant to sail on Princess because of just the exact thing you mentioned. Ship being deserted by 9:00 p.m. Or another one comes to mind "the geriatric crowd" lol! Good thing I didn't let those posts stop me from having one of the best cruises in my life. There was more to do on the Crown then my last 4 Carnival criuises. As far as the age difference, no different then Carnival. I have been on Carnival, RCCL and Princess and I find that they are all great cruiselines.......Next will be NCL;)

First, I have been on the Destiny twice and loved it both times. Second, welcome back Lora how was the wedding and cruise?

Just like I was hesitant to sail on Princess because of just the exact thing you mentioned. Ship being deserted by 9:00 p.m. Or another one comes to mind "the geriatric crowd" lol!

Actually, the most "geriatric crowd" we ever encountered was on the Carnival Spirit, an 8 day cruise from Miami to Panama. We saw way more wheelchairs and walkers than we did on any other cruise. lol But there were still activities at night, fun to be had.

Within each cruiseline, between different ships, there are major differences for service, food, activities, personality, etc. Even from sailing to sailing of the same ship, things are different. But you know what they say - "first impressions matter." We loved our first Carnival sailing, and we haven't been all that impressed with any other line thus far, so we tend to still cruise Carnie.

That being said - EVERY cruise is a great cruise, at least in my mind!

That one sounds great. I've been to St. Thomas and San Juan and wouldn't mind visiting them again.

Mjmiller, I'm not looking for specific island info..but more information on the itineraries. I've been to several already and so I know they all are different. That's half the fun is the exploration of the islands! :)

I read so many comments about the Miracle having no nightlife and being full of geriatrics, too.

Didn't notice either of those "problems" when I sailed.

She sails an 8-day Southern Caribbean (FLL, St Maarten, St Lucia, St Kitts) with 4 days at sea as well as an 8-day that's categorized as "western" but goes to Panama, Costa Rica and Belize (again, 4 days at sea) that I like to call the "southwestern" caribbean.

Victory will begin sailing out of San Juan on an all-port itinerary (which I'd love to try) that goes to St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua and St Kitts.

You can go to Carnival.com and search by region and/or by length and/or by month or search one of the travel websites where you can specify Carnival in the Southern Caribbean.

Before I sailed on the Miracle (and even for a few days after I returned), I'd already talked myself into sailing on Victory next December. I figured if I went the week before Christmas again, I could stay in San Juan for a couple of nights post-cruise to recuperate from all those different ports.

But as the days passed, I realized just how much I liked the Miracle, so I started looking at other cruises the week before Christmas. After narrowing it down the the Miracle (the SW Carib itinerary) and the Legend (7 days, 2 at sea Western), I've decided to go Western, since we haven't been there in a while and I really like the idea of cave-tubing in Belize.

But the Victory is still such an attractive option. With no sea days, I'd revert back to an inside cabin, which would help offset the cost of staying in San Juan a couple of days post-cruise.

Wish I could do them both! Soon! Good luck with whichever choice you make.

Archived