Costa Maya - Pier and Beach

Fila

The following is a photo of Costa Maya right off the pier. You can see the Tourist buildings and the beach. This photo taken Sept 1, 2004.

This was a nice place to hang out while both the Inspiration and the Explorer of the Seas were in port at the same time.

http://home.mminternet.com/~drmccall/Costa%20Maya%20Beach.jpg

We wanted to go to Mahahaul but the taxi lines were extremely long. One fellow said he was waiting in line already for 2 hours. That's when we turned around and decided to stay here.

• 3 weeks later...

The picture looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

Can anyone please tell me what all there is to do at the pier? I understand there is a saltwater pool....is there a sandy beach in addition to the rocky beach? Or is it just rocky? Is there shopping?

Can anyone tell me from past experience if most people from the ships stay around the pier, so that this pool area is packed.....or do they venture off to other places?

Thanks.

There is no sandy beach at the pier - it is quite rocky. When we were there in Feb most people stayed at the pier. I think the word is getting out now and more people are venturing out. If you want to go to Mahahual it is about a 20 minute walk along the water. We thoroughly enjoyed it. We did take a taxi back but I certainly would have walked if there was a wait as described above. I hope this helps!

There is shopping, but it is limited. Some of the typical port stores (Diamond Int'l etc) and some local crafts. Just don't think of this as a shopping port. You can circle the shopping area in a few minutes. I would book an excursion at this port. We loved ours (Unimog Tour) and heard great comments about the others that were available. If not, then go into Majahual.

Hi, Can you tell me more about the umimog tour. We are considering it with our 6 & 9 year old boys, do you think it is worth the price. What beach did you end up at, the public one? I need more info. before we book it.

Thanks,

Kim

• 5 months later...

jean-lynd,

Can you give me directions on how to walk to Majahual (sp?) from the pier? We are the fourth of four ships to arrive and I know that the lines will be long when we get there--I don't even want to deal with getting in line.

Thanks!!

jean-lynd,

Can you give me directions on how to walk to Majahual (sp?) from the pier? We are the fourth of four ships to arrive and I know that the lines will be long when we get there--I don't even want to deal with getting in line.

Thanks!!

its 2 miles away-- and it will be hot. Since there will be 4 ships in port yes the taxi line will be crowded but what you can do to save half your time--is one get the tickets while the other waits for the bus- Seems that everyone will wait to get the taxi tickets then head over to the buis line--its only a few feet away. (wish I knew to do this before I went.) take sunscreen = its hot here.

Depends on how many ships you will have at the pier with you. Some ships are in port with two others ships--while some ships are there all by themselves. The taxi buses start right away. Have one person stand in line for the tickets while the other one stands in line for the bus. On the Miracle last month there were 3 ships in port and the bus stand was crowded when we left and when we came back. I dont kno wif the line ever died down

Thank you for your response on this question. I have read some other reviews who told me that the buses to the excursion start running at noon. We are only there from 7 am to 3 pm. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if this is the case, or if the buses would start running at 7 am. Just thought it would be a waste of money to go for about an hour. How long did you have to wait in line for a bus?

Thanks again

We waited about an hour- with no shade there but like I said if I knew how crowded and used some thinking--i would put one of us in the line for the ticket and the other in line for the bus. I bet that would have saved us half hour.

I doubt very much the buses start running at noon. Some ships get in port at 8am. This place depends on tourism and if the tourist gotta wait they just wont go- like you said--it will only be an hour why go?

I think Majuahaul was worth the wait for the bus. Seemed a lot of the people stayed at the pier. Majuahaul was not very crowded at all-considering 3 ships were visiting. WHen we got back to the pier it was crowded.

Hi thanks again for your responses. Have you ever done the Jungle Beach Break Excursion? I am hoping that since we will prebook our excursion that ew wont have to wait in line for tickets to Uvero Beach. Do you know if this is true? I dont know how crowded it will be. We are going next January. Is there any way to find out how many ships will be in port that day?

Thanks again

Can anyone please give directions for walking to Majahual? :confused: I know that I lot of people do it, but no one seems to want to explain where to go. My husband and I are both VERY active and wouldn't mind a walk. (We also don't mind the heat, hubby lived in Brazil for two years.)

Hi,

thanks again for the great info. Has anyone ever been to Costa Maya in early Feburary? Is the water still really warm? and what is the whether like?

We were there in Feb. Weather was delightful, the water was cool, but didn't stop anyone from swimming! You can see some pics through my sig...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived