Will I Beep?

Ships R Great

I will be having knee replacement soon. I know that there will be a hold-up at airport security but what about getting on and off the ship? Will I have to explain each and every time?

Hi Ships !

I am not a Dr., but it depends if anything metallic will be inserted. Even if there is.... Ask your Surgeon to give you a laminated card certifying you had surgery. Just make sure to bring it with you. My Mom has one, and she keeps it with her Passport.

Enjoy your Cruise !

I will be having knee replacement soon. I know that there will be a hold-up at airport security but what about getting on and off the ship? Will I have to explain each and every time?

Hi Ships R Great :)

Good luck with your knee replacement surgery. I hope the procedure goes as smoothly as possible, and that you have a speedy recovery with the desired result.

My husband had hip replacement surgery eight years ago. Prior to 9/11 airport sensors never beeped from it, but since 9/11 it beeps whenever he goes through security at the airport. He has a laminated card from his surgeon, but no one at the airport ever wants to see it. They just do a complete body search when the beeper goes off, instead.

On the other hand, we have been on many cruises with his new hip and it has never set a beeper off on a ship.

Thanks for the replies. I do hope it foes well. A few cruises ago I met two ladies at some function. Both had had knee replacement. One swore it was the best thing that ever happened to her. The other said it was the worst. I hope I can identify with the "best ever" lady. I admit to being a bit apprehensive, ok, a lot apprehensive.

My doctor did say something about a card.

I had knee replacement done in 04 and have traveled many times since.

Surprisingly some airport secruity does not beep but it does not happen

very often (about 4 times)

I normally get wanded and off I go - never happen boarding a cruise ship.

Both on Princess and Celebrity I had no problem.

Francine

To avoid the hassle of setting off the metal detector (or for anyone with an electronic implant, such as a pacemaker, who is not supposed to pass through a metal detector at all), the easiest thing to do is send a photocopy of your medical card to special services at Celebrity and ask them to add the info to your seapass card.

I have a family member with an implant who does this. Each time he inserts his seapass card, the information pops up on the security screen and he just walks around the metal detector when boarding the ship. He never needs to explain or show anything. A security guard will typically give him a few hand pats on the side of his body and he is on his way. He often gets through security even faster than the rest of us because he doesn't need to wait in the line for the metal detector. It is nothing at all like going through a hand screening at airport security.

To avoid the hassle of setting off the metal detector (or for anyone with an electronic implant, such as a pacemaker, who is not supposed to pass through a metal detector at all), the easiest thing to do is send a photocopy of your medical card to special services at Celebrity and ask them to add the info to your seapass card.

I have a family member with an implant who does this. Each time he inserts his seapass card, the information pops up on the security screen and he just walks around the metal detector when boarding the ship. He never needs to explain or show anything. A security guard will typically give him a few hand pats on the side of his body and he is on his way. He often gets through security even faster than the rest of us because he doesn't need to wait in the line for the metal detector. It is nothing at all like going through a hand screening at airport security.

I will second this advise. I crusied in 06 with a body brace from under my arms to my waist. I contacted the cruise line (Disney) and let them know in advance. The staff knew what was going on and didn't blink when the alarm went off. When I had my tens belt on, they would wave me around the machine. At the airport, I told the TSA at the start of the line what was going on. She sent me through ahead of the others, where I was patted down.

I was fitted today for a leg brace similar to what the kid in Forrest Gump wore. So I'm interested in seeing how going through security is going to be like.

Wife had a knee replaced 2 years ago.

Have been on several cruises since then.

Airport ALWAYS will beep.

Some cruise ships' security do cause a beep...some no not.

Just had her 2nd knee replaced....probably will beep everywhere now.

Going on the Constellation 2/18/08 will find out soon.

Andy

Ships R Great I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this topic I just had a total knee replacement on 12/18/07 what a way to spend Christmas. My best advice I can give you is see if your doctor will order you a CPM machine this will bend your knee constantly for the amount of hours prescribed, mine was 6 hours a day three two hour intervals while I was in the hospital/rehab. It does help tremondously! I also did my rehab in the same hospital that I had the operation in I have steps in my house & had to be taught to walk up them before I could be released. Rehab, & physical therapy are the most important functions. As of now I am getting PT at home three times a week & must keep up with the daily exercises also to ice your knee is key after any & all exercises. My surgeon has already given me a card to carry with me at all times especially when I go through metal detectors I have to get it laminated. I was wondering If I am going to set the detectors off I will find out in several months when we go on our first cruise for the year. Good Luck.

Fleckle what a great idea reagarding contacting X special services & letting them know about my knee I would of never of given that a thought. I will call them tomorrow. Thanks

Ships R Great I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this topic I just had a total knee replacement on 12/18/07 what a way to spend Christmas. My best advice I can give you is see if your doctor will order you a CPM machine this will bend your knee constantly for the amount of hours prescribed, mine was 6 hours a day three two hour intervals while I was in the hospital/rehab. It does help tremondously! I also did my rehab in the same hospital that I had the operation in I have steps in my house & had to be taught to walk up them before I could be released. Rehab, & physical therapy are the most important functions. As of now I am getting PT at home three times a week & must keep up with the daily exercises also to ice your knee is key after any & all exercises. My surgeon has already given me a card to carry with me at all times especially when I go through metal detectors I have to get it laminated. I was wondering If I am going to set the detectors off I will find out in several months when we go on our first cruise for the year. Good Luck.

Fleckle what a great idea reagarding contacting X special services & letting them know about my knee I would of never of given that a thought. I will call them tomorrow. Thanks

duchesse, I cannot tell how much your information has helped me (my frame of mind). The doctor wanted to do one knee right away but I told him "No way am I giving up my January cruises. Pain or not, I'm going! So he'll do one knee in Feb.

I have a large plate in my wrist. The metal detector beeped as I went through. when I told the security person I had the plate he wanded me. turned out that it was not the plate that triggered the detector but a gum wrapper in my pocket!!! go figure. when I took the foil wrapper out and went thruough the detector No beep!

I have both knees and a difib if you are a short wearer, just point at your scare they realy do not care much , this is on the cruise ,ship not at the airport, there they will check you.Last two cruise I was on they had a sign saying knees and defib or pacemakers will not set of alarm, and they did not.

duchesse, I cannot tell how much your information has helped me (my frame of mind). The doctor wanted to do one knee right away but I told him "No way am I giving up my January cruises. Pain or not, I'm going! So he'll do one knee in Feb.

Ships R Great Glad to help you. If there is anymore questions & if I can answer them you can email me at dutchess43@hotmail.com & put Ships R Great/CC in the subject line so I know that it is from you because you will be thrown into my junk mail. My first cruise is in April that is why I had mine done when I did.

I spent the Christmas before last in hospital having 2 knee replaements. This year I spent Christmas on the Connie. Yes you will "beep" when you come onboard even tho' their x-ray is not as strong as the airport. I always carry a picture of my x-rays showing the big pieces of metal in my knees. Although they still "wand" me they know the reason for the beep. It also helps at the airport.

Good luck with your surgery.

I think it depends on what kind of metal it is. I have a plate and pins in my wrist, no problems ever. Yet when I had the surgery, had the cast on, I had to go through a special xray machine. Last year I had a back fracture, had a brace I wore for some time. Later, due to stress of long flight, changing planes, etc, I decided to wear it to travel. Of course I was stopped--it was full of metal stays. I was wanded and patted down.

You just have to bear with it!

I think it depends on what kind of metal it is. I have a plate and pins in my wrist, no problems ever. Yet when I had the surgery, had the cast on, I had to go through a special xray machine. Last year I had a back fracture, had a brace I wore for some time. Later, due to stress of long flight, changing planes, etc, I decided to wear it to travel. Of course I was stopped--it was full of metal stays. I was wanded and patted down.

You just have to bear with it!

I have both knees and a difib if you are a short wearer, just point at your scare they realy do not care much , this is on the cruise ,ship not at the airport, there they will check you.Last two cruise I was on they had a sign saying knees and defib or pacemakers will not set of alarm, and they did not.[/quote

I also have a difib along with both knees done, once after walking thru the AP detector my difib unit was shut off by the magnetic field. I was unaware of the shut down until a month later when going in for my three month check up. Don't believe any minimum wage airport worker with an appliance that will save your life one day as mine has, I now go directly to the hand scan line and tell the wand waver not to get within three feet of the unit. It's also a very wise idea to carry that medical alert card with you at all times while vacationing.

Hey, Patty, welcome to the bionic world!!!

Yes, you will set off the airport beeper. To save time, I warn them in advance and they just shoot me over to the pat-down line. I have a picture of my knee, but I have never had to show it. They are going to give you the full wand treatment, picture or no.

Ship metal detector a different story. Every once in a while, my knee sets one off. It did several times recently on the Connie, only once on all those Z cruises. Ship patdown is a quickie -- no holdup.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Almost everhyone has phenominal recovery. I am due to have my second replacement in late Feb or March. Sure hope it does better than the first one. Doc assures me I was just one of those 3 percenters, no reason it should happen again.

Would really like to sail with you again sometime -- and meet in the martini bar!

love

joan

Ships R Great, I had both knees replaced at the same time 9 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I had been walking with extreme pain for several years and even had pain at night in bed, when my DH convienced me I had waited long enough. My doctor did not use a CPM machine as Dutchess43 suggested, but I do agree to do all the physical therapy that is suggested and keep up the exercises they give you and be sure and use the ice.

I do not have a card, but I have been on 7 cruises and many airplane trips since the surgery. Before 9/11 sometimes I would set off metal detector in the airport and sometimes I wouldn't. Since 9/11 I have set off the metal detector everytime in airports and sometimes when boarding the ship. No big deal just be prepared for them to do a body search in the airport and just use the wand when boarding the ship.

Good Luck with your surgery! Once you get through the recovery period, you too will be saying it was the best thing you ever did.

Wow! What wonderful and helpful responses. I think this is the first thread I have read that did not have at least one slammer.

duchesse, I will email you.

Joan, I wish we could meet in the Z MB.

cal101, They have that machine where I will go for PT but I can't be there for six hours!

Again, thank you, everyone. I am still apprehensive but your positive posts make me feel a little better.

you wlll be so glad you had your knee replaced. My mom just did it in october and she was the MOST aprehensive person ever about having it done...now she is SO much happier. She can do SO many more things and the beeping at the airport doesn't bother her one bit.

Be sure to get a card from your DR. and have it with you, though most airports don't care and will still wand you I would suspect the cruise line would be more understanding if you call them ahead of time. Don't worry about it too much, the most she's ever had is a special "Wanding" at the security at the airport, and that was before she got her card!

Hi Patty! Good luck with your surgery! I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

And also, good luck to jou Joan, on your upcoming surgery. You'll be missed on the Galaxy TA.

Hope to meet you both again on a future cruise! That final Zenith sailing was one of our best! Still sorry she's gone, along with the Bermuda sailings.:(

Archived