A tad bit overwhelmed...here are my OWN questions!!

amberlansing

My hubby and I will be cruising (first time) with our 3 1/2 year old daughter on the Carnival Conquest May 11! Way excited so I've been reading anything and everything I can but there's soooo much information so I thought someone out there could answer my OWN questions!

We will be departing from Galveston and driving there so no plane rides!..

1. Do we need to take her car seat with us on the ship? For excursions???

2. Even though it is a "family vacation"...Should I feel guilty for not taking her on every excursion!?!?! We don't want to get her off the ship in Jamaica but planned on taking her to do the Stingray thing in Grand Cayman. Will they let her go??

3. And any advice on what to do in Cozumel??? I've read the boards on ports of call for Cozumel...but once again...OVERWHELMING!!! It kinda sorta stresses me out so I thought I'd give this a shot!!!

We want to see the Mayan Ruins...can we take her to do this??

I know you women are out there filled with a ton of advice on taking little ones...so I want to hear what you have to say!!

Thanks,

Amber

1. I don't think so

2. No, minimum age for the sting ray excursion is 8 years

3. Why not just go to the beach? I've never been to

Cozumel, so no suggestions

4. Are you talking about a ship's excursion there? The one to the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins? No age limit on that one, but it involves lots of walking. Don't know why you couldn't take her if she could walk it

Stop stressing. Even if you do no excursions, there are always taxis, etc at every port and you can find someone to take you on your own personal tour.

Wow...I was really looking forward to taking her to do the stingray thing...that's disappointing!

We planned on going to the beach I guess but I'm the one who's nagging the husband to squeeze everything into this trip...I probably need to calm down!!!

The reason why we wanted to book through the cruise line is because of all the horror stories I've read about being left behind!

Since she's an extremely active kiddo...I'm sure she won't have much of a problem with a lot of walking!! so I guess we could do the Mayan Ruin thing.

Thanks for your input!

My hubby and I will be cruising (first time) with our 3 1/2 year old daughter on the Carnival Conquest May 11! Way excited so I've been reading anything and everything I can but there's soooo much information so I thought someone out there could answer my OWN questions!

2. Even though it is a "family vacation"...Should I feel guilty for not taking her on every excursion!?!?! We don't want to get her off the ship in Jamaica but planned on taking her to do the Stingray thing in Grand Cayman. Will they let her go??

3. And any advice on what to do in Cozumel??? I've read the boards on ports of call for Cozumel...but once again...OVERWHELMING!!! It kinda sorta stresses me out so I thought I'd give this a shot!!!

I know you women are out there filled with a ton of advice on taking little ones...so I want to hear what you have to say!!

Thanks,

Amber

1. The problem with car seats is finding a vehicle that actually has working seatbelts. I know I'm nervous about it but I won't be bringing a car seat next Dec when my son will be just over 3.

2. I wouldn't take my child off the ship in Jamaica either. In fact I'm not likely to get off the ship myself if we stop there again. Been there done that don't need to do it again. But, if you haven't been there don't feel guilty.

3. The tour with the Mayan ruins, if it's the same one I've been on, is a lot of walking and talking as well. If you child isn't the type to sit quietly then she would be interfering with others education. The other thing is we have been on a bus that broke down in the middle of no where (small island but radio towers didn't reach where we were) so I can't say much for the buses that the ship tours use. We took a cab to Chankanaab and it has a nice beach, replica of ruins, a dolphin swim (and they have a program for your child's age there), and a wonderful area to walk through. I am posting a link with information.

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/CozumelChankanaab.htm

I stressed to so I get it. Spend time here and gather information and you will be more then prepared and you will have a wonderful time.

Thanks,

Amber

1. It's up to you on the car seat. Most Caribbean islands do require them in cars (hard to believe). If you think driving/drivers in the Caribbean/Mexico are safer, then travel sans car seat. I don't back out of my driveway without her buckled in her car seat.

From a post I wrote a couple of days ago -

I've traveled quite a bit with my child. I always use a car seat in ports. I use the Sit n Stroll. Works as a car seat and a stroller. It can also be used on most planes as a safety seat. I've heard that it doesn't fit on some planes, but I've never had the problem on AA, UA, jetblue, southwest, and delta.

We just completed some travel and I will have to say good bye to the sit n stroll....she is too big for it! It's been to Mexico, the us virgins, BVI, Caymans, grenada, jamaica, bahamas,Curacao, Aruba, barbados, martinique, st. lucia, and numerous trips in the US.

Once in a while in port you may have to wait for a second taxi. (I've only had it happen once) The taxi (nassau)seatbelts were cut. Just look down in the seat or behind it and you will find the seat belt. A lot of people will tell you there aren't any - but I've never had a problem.

2. I would not bring a 3.5 year old on the Sting Ray Excursion - not a good time to find out if she gets sea sick. The water will be over her head.

Bring your own life vest -the excursion may not have one small enough. It may not be available for that age.

Best thing to do in Cayman - go to 7 mile beach. Let her play in the sand and at the edge of the water. It is usually pretty calm. Lot's of sunscreen, a hat, and maybe a UV bathing suit. It's a short distance to get back to town to get onto the ship. You may be tendering at this port.

3. I think San Gervasio ruins are in Cozumel - it can get pretty hot. I'd go to one of the beaches. Again, hot sun etc. but fun in the sand!

Safe Travels

We were in Grand Cayman in January 2006 when my kids were 3 and 5. We couldn't do the stingray excursion, but one of the excursions we did went to the turtle farm. Okay, farm doesn't sound right, but it was the place with all the turtles. You can even hold the turtles! My 3 year old LOVED this!

Tara

We are cruising with my 6 y.o. and 3 1/2 y.o. the end of Feb. Different ports- so can't give you specific advice - but, for what it is worth, my advice: Stingrays - even if they allowed it, and from what I have seen in our ports, they won't, I wouldn't take my 3 y.o. - the idea sounds fun, but we have fed stingrays in the aquarium and they can be intimidating. Imagine having them swim around you when you are that little. My 6 y.o. is considering the stingray excursion at one port that allows 5 and up, but she isn't convinced yet either. I would love to take them on a dolphin swim too - but figure that is best when they are older. Hate to pay for it and have them get scared and not participate. Other excursions - just don't plan anything where you are on a bus, walking tons, or in a controlled environment that you can't get out of if you wanted to (or needed to). We have had bad bus experiences on tours. We have 3 ports on our cruise with no planned activities besides a beach day, as we figure the less planned/prepaid activities the better. That way we can go with the flow and see how everyone is doing. We can always come back and see things when they are older, best to enjoy the vacation on "kid time" for now. The more downtime the better - at least for us.

Car seat - personal decision. I am taking one mostly for the plane, as it will keep him contained.

Most important - have fun!:)

My 3 year old loved the stingrays 5 years ago! He loves the water and although daddy or I carried him (the water was only up to our waist) the water was calm the day we were there and we all (his older siblings too) had a blast.

In fact we had such a great time we are doing it again in April and bringing our next set of water lovers (3 & 4 years old) as well as our 7 year old and our now 8 year old will be making his 2nd trip (in addition to the older siblings).

We live on a lake and we boat regularly so I am not concerned with any "sea-sickness" problems. If the water is too rough obviously it may prevent some of us from getting off the tour boat to actually walk around with the stingrays and we will surely all be disappointed (but I'm planning on it being a great day - I plan all my cruise tours with this attitude).

Many cruise sponsored tours have age cut offs (many snorkling tours require children to be 8 or older). But my 8 year old has been snorkling for years and LOVES it. Private tour operators usually don't have age cut offs and we tend to do most of our shore tours privately. (This is obviously a personal decision made with the knowledge and limitations of our personal family).

I know that we will probably be carrying our 3 and 4 year olds to see the stingrays (or maybe they'll prefer to watch us from the boat (I'm fine with that) - I know that they won't be snorkling (but they are used to jumping in water off of our boat that is WAY over their head). The rest of the family of six WILL enjoy the entire tour and afterwards we're being dropped off at 7 mile beach for some beach time.

Good luck to you in your decision but just so you know that stingrays can be done with younger children.

Judy

ps - if you feel comfortable posting your email I will send you some pictures of my 3 year old from our first stingray tour.

I took my 3.5 yr old boy on a w. Caribbean cruise a few years ago. We had booked to do the stingrays with Nativeway (I think), in Grand Caymen, but that port was cancelled due to weather. They did know his age and said it would be fine.

We went to Chankanaab Park as larronry recommended. Had a great time there. Shallow area with beach where the kids can play. Snorkeling area for me to play (while hubby watched little ones).

We went to the Chacchoben ruins from Costa Maya. We booked with Ivan who was highly recommended on this board. Brought the umbrella stroller and then DS had the option to walk or stroll. Again, a good time was had by all.

Ok, I've never cruised with little kids, but I have been on excursions with them. Here are a few suggestions. In Grand Cayman we always use Captain Bryan's Catamaran - after our first visit of using the carnival trip - he is definately the better trip and deal - $$ http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

We did have several small children on one of our trips with Captain Bryan. They did have life vests - not sure if they were their own or if they were provided. It depends on the time of year and tide on how deep the water is we have been there when the water was knee deep and then the next time it was neck deep and I'm 5'10" - this past December it was neck deep when we got out and then it went to mid thigh when we got up to the sand bar. We knelt in the water for our pictures with the stingrays, whereas last year we stood. Contact them and ask about going with your little one.

In Cozumel - we were just there in December and went to a place we had not been before, but I read GREAT reviews on this forum. Playa Uvas! There was a small beach for your child to play in the sand. They do Clear kayaks and snorkeling - guided tours throughout the day. The kayaks are clear and very neat seeing what is under you as you glide along. I'm not sure, but I don't see why your child could not do this with a life vest. If necessary, you could go on one trip and your spouse on the next and same with snorkeling. Check out their prices - you will be surprised at how cheap they are! We just got a taxi there and then back - I think it was $11.00 each way. This was the best find! We had done the Playa Mia beach break the last 2 times we went to Cozumel and the last time - May 06 they had not fully recovered from a hurricane and we were disappointed from how it was on our first trip there. Highly recommend you Check out their site - http://www.playauvas.com/

Hope that helps you.

It is amazing how different kids can be - glad to see people enjoying the excursions and water activities with little ones, there is hope! Since we live nowhere near water and the only swimming mine get is at the rec center or occasional hotel, mine are a little more timid about that kind of thing. So, I guess the point is - do what works best with your child's disposition and comfort level. If the excursions allow little guys, that is great!

We are counting down the days until our "big boat trip!" Maybe they will be more adventurous after that! :)

WOW...It is pleasantly surprising how helpful everyone is here!

I finally booked our cruise this morning and went to look at excursions and prices. I checked out several different ones and not one single excursion allowed me to check my daughter. Does this mean that she's not allowed on them due to her age?

I decided I was going to go ahead and book her to do the stingray thing. Since I do know her best...I think she'll be fine so thanks to all suggestions!

But when I went to book us for the tour, it wouldn't let me check her name. I thought "Okay she can't go." So I looked into something else...EVERY excursion I looked at, including the "beach" ones, would not let me check her. So my NEW question is...should I book excursions privately instead of going through Carnival. I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to be left behind so that's my main reason for booking through the cruise line.

ANY NEW SUGGESTIONS!?!?!?!

It might be that there is no charge for her given her age. That's what happened with me on Princess recently- I couldn't even book my son for a beach day, which didn't make sense to me. When I called Princess they told me that I didn't have to pay for him, which was good news for me!:)

So I looked into something else...EVERY excursion I looked at, including the "beach" ones, would not let me check her. So my NEW question is...should I book excursions privately instead of going through Carnival.

If you book directly through local companies, you'll be able to bring your daughter. She'll likely be free. I would go to the Grand Caymen Port of Call board and look for recommendations for touring companies. I did some research because we were originally cruising to GC, but we changed our cruise.

In Cozumel, I recommend Paradise Beach. There's a big thread about that on the Coz board. It was fabulous and an easy cab ride from the pier.

As far as carseats, that's your comfort level. We did not use car seats for our 3 and 6 year olds in Cozumel. We did in Ft Lauderdale to/from the airport though. We just brought one of those backless boosters for my 3yo as one was not legally required for my 6yo.

WOW...It is pleasantly surprising how helpful everyone is here!

I finally booked our cruise this morning and went to look at excursions and prices. I checked out several different ones and not one single excursion allowed me to check my daughter. Does this mean that she's not allowed on them due to her age?

I decided I was going to go ahead and book her to do the stingray thing. Since I do know her best...I think she'll be fine so thanks to all suggestions!

But when I went to book us for the tour, it wouldn't let me check her name. I thought "Okay she can't go." So I looked into something else...EVERY excursion I looked at, including the "beach" ones, would not let me check her. So my NEW question is...should I book excursions privately instead of going through Carnival. I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to be left behind so that's my main reason for booking through the cruise line.

ANY NEW SUGGESTIONS!?!?!?!

I ran into this same problem last night when trying to book on Carnival's website - figured out that "infants" are 3 and under and were free on all the excursions I was looking at, so he didn't need a ticket since he was 3. I was concerned at first too- but now happy to save some money - at least for one more year!:)

We were on the Conquest May 2006, our son was 2 1/2 then. In Jamaica, we booked an excursion that went to Rose Hall Beach Resort and then some shopping. In Grand Cayman we booked an excursion that went to Hell, The Turtle Farm and Sting Ray City. In Cozumel we just walked off the ship and did some shopping. All the excursions were booked thru Carnival. There was not a charge for our son on any of the excursions because of his age, I do not know at what age they begin charging, but they kind of expected him to be a lap child, so bringing a car seat would have been useless. We really liked Jamaica, the beach was beautiful. We were with a guide while shopping so we were not harassed. My son still talks about people kissing the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman, so I know that left an impression on him. I would like to go Back to the Turtle Farm, they have made a lot of changes since we were there. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Thanks,

Amber

I loved cozumel. The best thing to do is rent a jeep I think my friends paid 50.00 and just drive around and check everything out. There is a enclusive resort there on the beach that has a little zoo. Our friends had a blast there and just went back last month and did the same thing again. There kids went this time and the had fun too. My husband and I just walked around and shopped. Then when we were done shoppping we went to a resort and swam. My other friend is leaving on her cruise sunday and when they are in cozumel the are going to xcarit. It sounds like a lot of fun. It is like a water park

Archived