Visit Fairbanks?

yuckylucky

Hello!

I'm beginning to plan our post-cruise itinerary in Alaska. I noticed that Fairbanks is about two hours by car from Denali.

Is going to Fairbanks worth some time in our itinerary? What's up with the North Pole?

We are arriving in Anchorage on July 23rd and leaving on July 27th. We've pretty much figured the 23rd is a day for traveling up to Talkeetna for a visit and overnight stay and the 27th is the day we head back in the a.m. from the Denali area to Anchorage (our flight is at 5pm) so that isn't a day to plan anything. That leaves the 24th, 25th, and 26th for visiting places/seeing things. Not sure if visiting Fairbanks should factor into one of those days at all (even for part of the day) or if we should concentrate our time with Denali. Quality vs. quantity, you know?

Anyway, any thoughts you might have are most welcome and appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance, as always! :D

There was just a recent post on this very topic. do a search on "Fairbanks."

As for the "north pole." You might be thinking of the artic circle -- which you can visit via plane from Fairbanks -- or the gift shop in the city known as North Pole (about 20 minutes or so from Fairbanks). The gift shop is worth a trip if you are already in Fairbanks, but by no means is worth a trip just Fairbanks just to go there.

The North Pole basicly amounts to a nice Christmas souvenir shop. Sending a postcard from there definitely impressed our grandkids, but with your limited time I'd skip it! There's lots to do in Fairbanks, but given a choice, I'd chose to spend those extra days in the Kenai Peninsula and especially Seward. You'll have a fabulous trip no matter what you decide! ;)

There was just a recent post on this very topic. do a search on "Fairbanks."

As for the "north pole." You might be thinking of the artic circle -- which you can visit via plane from Fairbanks -- or the gift shop in the city known as North Pole (about 20 minutes or so from Fairbanks). The gift shop is worth a trip if you are already in Fairbanks, but by no means is worth a trip just Fairbanks just to go there.

I was half dizzy last night when I posted and lazily only looked at the first page of threads! I will go check, thanks!

I've heard the North Pole is not worth visiting and that the Santa shop is like a tourist trap. I would love to take a flight across the Arctic Circle but doubt that is possible with a five-year old in tow. I have to identify things we can do with her on this trip. But again, I've only barely begun researching things to do (so much, I know) so I might find there is more available to us and her than I think.

Thanks so much!

In my opinion you don't have the time. Fairbanks is worth a 2 night stop, plenty to see and do. The North Pole is unique and fun to send back post cards, decent gift shop as far as gift shops go. :)

You are correct with a 5 pm flight out of Anchorage and needing a 2 hour window there AND allowing 6 hours for the drive from the Denali Park area, don't plan anything that day.

Archived