??? about Galveston Media Announcement 1-13

I'm hoping the content will leak out a day before. Maybe not though as they seem to have a handle on this one. I'd check the Houston & Galveston newspapers and USA Today for press releases. The online versions would have them early I would think. You guys on the boards may know before those of us out of the loop because we are on the ship and it may not be in the paper until Monday.

Also hoping that the hype doesn't hold up embarkation since I'm boarding that morning. I know they have TA's touring the ship that day.

Snoozeman, are you driving to the port or flying in?

I spoke with our TA who is out in the hills West of SA and he told me he is not coming in because it is primarily a ship tour. I will bug him more tomorrow to see if I can get any info out of him that he may have early.

Guess you are leaving the animals in good hands...our's tend their own needs, which is one reason I like raising Longhorns.

If you drive depending when and what route, I'd invite you to come see Rumor in person and take a break. The ranch is in Fayette County about 90-120 minutes from Port of Galveston and I expect to be at the ranch on Sunday tending the cattle.

Either way I hope you enjoy your cruise. Final payment is due by Monday on our next cruse in March. Also, have to get my renewal passport by then...guess I will get my Pics tomorrow and get it in the mail in the next few days, waiting to hear if I need to go to Asia on business in the next few weeks. In that case I will have to get a second passport. Oh boy!

Snoozeman, are you driving to the port or flying in?

I spoke with our TA who is out in the hills West of SA and he told me he is not coming in because it is primarily a ship tour. I will bug him more tomorrow to see if I can get any info out of him that he may have early.

Guess you are leaving the animals in good hands...our's tend their own needs, which is one reason I like raising Longhorns.

If you drive depending when and what route, I'd invite you to come see Rumor in person and take a break. The ranch is in Fayette County about 90-120 minutes from Port of Galveston and I expect to be at the ranch on Sunday tending the cattle.

Either way I hope you enjoy your cruise. Final payment is due by Monday on our next cruse in March. Also, have to get my renewal passport by then...guess I will get my Pics tomorrow and get it in the mail in the next few days, waiting to hear if I need to go to Asia on business in the next few weeks. In that case I will have to get a second passport. Oh boy!

We always drive. We take Hwy 6 from Bosque county all the way to 290. Thanks for the invitation. Maybe sometime we can stop. We have two sets of neighbors who will feed. I feed their horses & goats when they are gone. The eight kids have just started to eat small pellets and of course they still nurse. No bottle babies this time either!! Makes it easier to get away. Good luck on the trip.

What would constitute good news in your opinion? Gimme an example.

I'm a TA and I can't get any info. I'm also sailing on the 13th so I imagine just asking any of the crew at the Purser's Desk will give some answers. Good news in my opinion would be Voyager, or any Voyager class or higher ship, home porting in Texas for 2009 and later, preferably at the new Houston terminal. But I'm not sure announcing a move from Galveston would be in the cards at this time, but who knows? From a business standpoint, I'm hoping for an RCCL homeport in Texas for a long time.

I'm a TA and I can't get any info. I'm also sailing on the 13th so I imagine just asking any of the crew at the Purser's Desk will give some answers. Good news in my opinion would be Voyager, or any Voyager class or higher ship, home porting in Texas for 2009 and later, preferably at the new Houston terminal. But I'm not sure announcing a move from Galveston would be in the cards at this time, but who knows? From a business standpoint, I'm hoping for an RCCL homeport in Texas for a long time.

Maybe the Voyager's new home port might become Texas. Maybe RCCL might be moving the Voyager to make room for the new Genesis class ship which I think I due out in late 2009.

I'm a TA/ Owner and I am invited to the Breakfast on Sunday the 13th. It's at a Galveston hotel, and then we are allowed on the ship until 2PM when we must end our touring.

No one told us there was going to be a special announcement. I have heard through the grapevine, that RC did sign a contract with Bayport, the port here in Houston. But, it's only gossip at this point and did not come from a RC announcement.

What would constitute good news in your opinion? Gimme an example.

OK, both an example and a prediction:

RCCL will announce that it will homeport a ship in Galveston year round starting in 2009.

The ship will most likely be Voyager (or a Voyager class ship) since it's included as a tour.

They will NOT move to Bayport.

Last time I was on Rhapsody, I was told that this would be done, but they hadn't decided which ship it would be. I also think RCCL has a new contract with Port of Galveston.

I'm a TA/ Owner and I am invited to the Breakfast on Sunday the 13th. It's at a Galveston hotel, and then we are allowed on the ship until 2PM when we must end our touring.

No one told us there was going to be a special announcement. I have heard through the grapevine, that RC did sign a contract with Bayport, the port here in Houston. But, it's only gossip at this point and did not come from a RC announcement.

Yep, we're on the same page I think. Bayport only makes sense. I'm cruising with a group this Sunday so I guess I'll find out after you do.

Galveston did approve making modifications and upgrades to the public pier/terminal that RCCL uses as I understand it.

Bayport is built to handle Voyager class and perhaps bigger ships. The Houston Ship Pilots who would run the ships up to Bayport are offering a 1/2 special for cruise ships for the next three years, which was recently announced so it could be part of a deal with RCCL or another cruise line. Biggest down side is the longer run to Bayport than to Galveston, so any tight fast cruise itent will lead to little wiggle room for late departures.

I'd expect to see that in 2009 we will have a full time ship, perhaps then even a second seasonal ship as well. I doubt though that we would see the two ships using different ports in the same area, unless both are sailing Sunday cruises. Maybe one of the ships will actually be from Celeberity. Perhaps we will cee X sail from Galveston and Voyager year round from Bayport.

Guess we only need to wait a few days to know for sure.

My TA went to Galveston last weekend and toured the ship. She wasn't going to be in town this coming weekend. There were lots of TA's that were able to go last weekend. I talked to her about the "rumors" and she said that she was told by a RCCL rep that Texas most likely won't be getting a ship homeported here until early 2010. Again...that's a "she said...he said" type of thing so we'll see. She did say the invitation that they got to tour the ship had the horns on the ship, but she thought they were computer enhanced. I guess we'll wait and see what happens this weekend. :)

We just returned from VOS December 30th sailing. During C&A reception Capt Gerry reported that RCI does not have any plans to have a ship full time in Galveston. Only December -April/May, pull out for the summer and return during the winter. Many questions were asked about the Genisis class but he was very vauge.

I read somewhere recently that the news had to do with a change in how they will prepare the food, like better cooking oils, etc. for healthier dining. I would be pleased to hear this but I am hoping for a full time ship for Texas!

She did say the invitation that they got to tour the ship had the horns on the ship, but she thought they were computer enhanced.

The horns on top will be there this weekend. I have a small photo of them on my blog. Some of the photos showing the horns on the bow ARE computer enhanced.

Somewhere on these boards I have seen your blog...good job...I enjoyed reading it. I did look it up again and I have a picture of that saved on my computer from somewhere. My TA told me to drop by her office and look at all the pictures she took last weekend. She's got them on a digital picture frame and had prints made. She loved the ship and said the lunch they served was great. She's actually sailing on Voyager the same time we are...she's a friend as well as our TA. She and I met each other at the Aggie Mom's Club. She is just as excited about going on this cruise as we are!

I doubt an announcement made at a Galveston hotel would have RCCL homporting a ship in Bayport. Maybe the announcement of a Galveston contract.:)

I agree. There was never a mention of an announcement. This is only going to be a huge TEXAS welcome to the Voyager of the Seas! ( As far as I can tell )

Somewhere on these boards I have seen your blog...good job...I enjoyed reading it. I did look it up again and I have a picture of that saved on my computer from somewhere. My TA told me to drop by her office and look at all the pictures she took last weekend. She's got them on a digital picture frame and had prints made. She loved the ship and said the lunch they served was great. She's actually sailing on Voyager the same time we are...she's a friend as well as our TA. She and I met each other at the Aggie Mom's Club. She is just as excited about going on this cruise as we are!

Thanks, I usually reread it myself b4 leaving on a cruise to remind me of names and places. I'd like to meet y'all and your friend & TA as I'd love copies of her photos. I have to get a better photo of the horns for my new review.

I'll be at the 3-4 M&M, but I promised folks on the Carnival board who always watch the Conquest that I'd be on the aft balcony & wave when the Conquest sails.

I'd expect to see that in 2009 we will have a full time ship, perhaps then even a second seasonal ship as well. I doubt though that we would see the two ships using different ports in the same area, unless both are sailing Sunday cruises. Maybe one of the ships will actually be from Celeberity. Perhaps we will cee X sail from Galveston and Voyager year round from Bayport.

Guess we only need to wait a few days to know for sure.

I have been half expecting a announcement maybe from Princess since they cruised out of Galveston until april 07 with the Grand Princess. Any hope they will be back or out of Houston? any rumors?

Archived