Advise needed: Too good to be true?

kgerkin

A few months ago I booked a cruise on the Legend with a carnival vacation planner through Carnival. I had already picked the cabin and booked 1 cat 11 suite and one inside cabin. I had asked this rep to look into a cruise for 4 of us in March. We were looking for a 4 day out of Florida and asked her to check out the best deal. We never heard from her.

Last night I decided to call one of the internet agencies I had used last year and had been happy with. They were able to find us a very good deal. I happened to mention to him that we are already booked on Carnival for this summer. We have only paid a deposit. He said that he could "beat" whatever they had given us.

I pulled out my confirmation and gave him the figures and sure enough he "said" he could save us $200 on the inside cabin and $350 on the suite. This is a substantial amount of money for us. He said all I would have to do is call carnival and tell them I wanted to transfer the reservation and that they would give me a pin number to give him.

This is a reputable company but part of me feels that the carnival rep did do the original booking (and I feel obligated) but part of me could really use the $550 savings. This would cover one of us for our May cruise.

Does this sound too good to be true? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any advise? The rep at this agency said that he "has" to give us the deal that carnival gave us when they transfer the booking but that they will then add their discounts to it.

Any advise or opinions would be appreciated.

Actually I have experienced something like this. Our first cruise with Carnival I booked through a PVP and everything was fine so we booked our next cruise with the same PVP. Then, we decided to book 2 more cruises and went with a TA recommended. The price I got through the TA was much better than with Carnival's PVP and all I had to do was call and tell them I wanted my booking changed to the TA so all my cruises are now done through her and she has beaten not only Carnival's price but the internet prices as well.

I'm not saying you can't get great deals through Carnival direct or anywhere else. I'm just answering your initial question! Good luck!

If you really can save $550.00 then you should do it. I would get something in writing though from the TA before you switch.

I absolutely agree with Kinggartk. Get the TA to send you an e-mail quote detailing the full cost to you. If the offer is legitimate the TA should not even blink at your request.

I mentioned this type of deal to my PVP.

She told me that some TA's will take a cut in commission etc and offer a better deal than Carnival PVP can. I had mentioned an internet deal. She suggested if I wanted to move my booking to a TA to wait until just before final payment so she could be sure every thing was in order. She also told me she did not get a commission. She said she gets credit for booking the cruise and that is as good as my making the final payment with her. SO, dont feel guilty. Your PVP is getting credit for booking and you save the $$$$$$.

I ended up canceling the March cruise we had booked and I was asking about above. We then rebooked a June cruise on the Glory with some friends who are members of the old "Carnival Vacation Club". Our sailing had no past guest discounts but we did save about $500 per couple over booking with my PVP. In a conversation with her I told her we had booked with CVC and she found the reservation and is watching it to make sure we get what was requested as far as dining times etc. and I still get the savings.

Enjoy your cruise for a lower price!

If you are feeling guilty, call CCL back and ask them to match the quote from the TA. If they can't or won't, well, $550 is $550! I own a small business and there have been times when someone has wanted something that I have sent them to someone I knew that could do it cheaper because I was not set up to offer a good price. Be upfront and honest when you talk to CCL, but we all work hard for our money, no reason not to save where you can! Heck, that $550 may just pay your fuel surcharge on both cruises! ;)

Thank you everyone. I will take all advise and call the TA and ask them to put it in writing. I feel better know that the carnival rep still gets credit for the booking. I'll ask her first if she can give me the same deal but if now, I'll transfer it (once I get it in writing).

We are ex military so I really thought the deal through Carnival would be the best. I was really surprised to see such a difference.

Thanks again everyone!

Get it in writing. An email quote will do. Make sure to read all the fine print and if there is none ask for it. There is always fine print. That will help.:) I have cruised and traveled for many years and know one thing. You can tell a b_llSh_ter from an honest person based on what he/she gets in writing.

A few months ago I booked a cruise on the Legend with a carnival vacation planner through Carnival. I had already picked the cabin and booked 1 cat 11 suite and one inside cabin. I had asked this rep to look into a cruise for 4 of us in March. We were looking for a 4 day out of Florida and asked her to check out the best deal. We never heard from her.

Last night I decided to call one of the internet agencies I had used last year and had been happy with. They were able to find us a very good deal. I happened to mention to him that we are already booked on Carnival for this summer. We have only paid a deposit. He said that he could "beat" whatever they had given us.

I pulled out my confirmation and gave him the figures and sure enough he "said" he could save us $200 on the inside cabin and $350 on the suite. This is a substantial amount of money for us. He said all I would have to do is call carnival and tell them I wanted to transfer the reservation and that they would give me a pin number to give him.

This is a reputable company but part of me feels that the carnival rep did do the original booking (and I feel obligated) but part of me could really use the $550 savings. This would cover one of us for our May cruise.

Does this sound too good to be true? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any advise? The rep at this agency said that he "has" to give us the deal that carnival gave us when they transfer the booking but that they will then add their discounts to it.

Iv done that and the PVP got credit for the booking. They wouldnt lose credit for the initial booking because you transferred the booking.

I booked 3 through a PVP and then transferred them to a warehouse type TA because they gave a small discount. Nowhere near what you got!!! lol, but any discount is better than none.

Unless you have a reason not to trust the TA it seems like an ok thing to do to me. My TA said lately they just added a $25 change fee, so I would ask about add on fees if you need to change or cancel for some reason.

PS I meant to say my PVP also set it up with a PIN # so the bookings could be transferred. Carnival uses pin #'s (unlike RCL who wants you to sign a paper and fax it in and is a pain in the you know what, carnival is very easy to transfer bookings from).

I had this same experience after initially booking with Carnival on my last cruise. My savings wasn't as substantial as yours will be but it worked and it went very smooth. I would jump at the chance to save that much money. He the TA may also be able to throw in some on board credit or free travel insurance too.

I had this same experience. What I found at the end all said and done, I would have received a better deal staying with my PVP. The Carnival's price dropped below the quote the TA gave me, and the TA didn't want to give me the new price, several emails she ended up giving me part of the price drop in OBC. This year I called my PVP and told her I seen a price drop and next day I received an email showing my OBC for the price drop. Plus I like working with directly with Carnival. If you have a TA Carnival can't help you, you have to go through your TA. Everyone has a different experience, my just wasn't good.

I always find prices drop when you close to final payment time. Our military rate was $899 - and this week it dropped to $809!

I booked 3 through a PVP and then transferred them to a warehouse type TA because they gave a small discount. Nowhere near what you got!!! lol, but any discount is better than none.

OK, so what is a "warehouse type TA?" Are you referring to the big online travel sites?

Anyone know whether I could book my next with a PVP and transfer to the agency I used this past cruise? I reached them through a hotel website. I get hotel points if I book through them.

They always have the same price (of course, last time the hotel aflliated site gave me the PG balcony upgrade that the Carnival (not PVP) person said didn't exist).

I'd book directly with them again, to get the points, except I have $600 worth of vouchers I'm going to redeem from my credit card, and those say you have to book directly through Carnival.

I want it all! I want the vouchers applied AND the hotel miles! :D

We just set up a group cruise thru a PVP on the Splendor when she sails the Riviera in 09. I was not impressed with the discount on cabins at all. We reserved 25. 20 balcony and 5 insides. We got less than a $13.00 discount per cabin. I have never used a TA to book anything before. This is making me think that I should look into using a TA for this booking. Doing a group cruise is new to me. Does anyone have any advice about using a TA for this? Do I look for one off the internet or call one locally?

We just set up a group cruise thru a PVP on the Splendor when she sails the Riviera in 09. I was not impressed with the discount on cabins at all. We reserved 25. 20 balcony and 5 insides. We got less than a $13.00 discount per cabin. I have never used a TA to book anything before. This is making me think that I should look into using a TA for this booking. Doing a group cruise is new to me. Does anyone have any advice about using a TA for this? Do I look for one off the internet or call one locally?

Try calling one locally. I have always done better with a TA. I give them the best rate I have and they discount it. The last trip was only $40 but it is enough for a soda card. You have nothing to loose by making the call and everything to gain$!

Do you have to transfer before your final payment has been made?

Final payment is apparently is a key item. I just booked with a PVP and had to pay in full due to it being only 60 days out. Before I booked, I told him I had gotten a quote from a third party TA for a total of $400 less than he was charging (2 balcony cabins) and asked if he could match it. He could not and I felt badly that he would not get credit after he had spent so much time with me. He checked with his supervisor and I was told that I could transfer the booking after booking with Carnival even though my cruise would be paid in full, so he would get the credit and I could get the discounted price from the TA. When I contacted the TA (and another discount TA to confirm) they both told me that Carnival would not transfer a booking after final payment. The Carnival supervisor told me that the TA would not ACCEPT the booking. I got tired of the finger pointing and gave up. I plan to lodge a complaint at a higher level, but have never had a great response sending email to customer service. Any suggestions who I should contact?

I am actually in the process of getting a group cruise together through a TA I found online. And she is saving us a substantial amount of money per cabin, plus the onboard credit and free wine. It never hurts to check around. I found her on a website that is sort of the lending tree of cruising and every time I used a TA from there I have been very very very happy.

Archived