RCL Stock!

Of course if you purchase the stock and hold onto it while you cruise on RCI more than just once, the return on investment may be even better since you don't need to time the market in order to "buy low and sell high" and don't have to factor all of the transaction fees into your computations. But again, diffferent people buy stocks for different reasons, and if you are a frequent cruiser on RCI, Celebrity and/or Azamara, that may be reason enough to purchase the stock. If you are looking at it primarily as an investment vehicle, I suggest that you consult a professional rather than depend on advice from anonymous sources on these boards.

For me the transaction fees are minimal so don't really factor in. I think there are much better stocks to invest in at the moment for the medium to long term, so I only bought in because of the OBC. I waited for it to approach its 52 week bottom, bought in, and then when it spiked up nearly 15% I figured I better get out. If it drops back down too much though without any negative news justifying the sell off, I am open for another short term go at it.

I agree with you that for many people it definitely makes sense to buy and hold long term if they will be cruising on RCL lines quite a bit and are not very familiar with the stock market or have to go through a broker and pay hefty fees. Still is some risk involved though as there is always a chance they do away with the OBC perk; I hope it stays but it is far from ethced in stone. Also the small but possible chance that the stock plummets and does not recover by the time the person needs the money are the very small but possible chance the company goes bankrupt. Then again there is a chance Carnival buys Royal Caribbean and the stock leaps 40%-50% in a single day. Also not likely, but possible.

I also agree that nobody should take stock advice from anybody online; even on an online stock chat board! Learned that the hard way early in my stock picking days. :mad:

stock is headed back down as of yesterday

Apparently the huge drop the last two days may be partially attributable to conerns about the Florida AG investigating the legality of the manner in which the fuel surcharge was implemented:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/02/05/afx4616928.html

I was planning on getting back in under $37 (which it appears may happen any moment), but may wait and see if it drops to $35 or so before I consider doing so now.

Archived