RCL Stock!

We've been contemplating purchasing 100 shares of RC stock for several months now. With it being so low, we are going to purchase tomorrow, and we will receive the $50. OBC for our B2B on the Enchantment, and $200. OBC for our Jewel panama cruise in nov/08. We have the extra money to invest at this point, and it would be for the long haul for us. We have been cruising at least once a year on RC, so we feel it would be a good investment for us. We plan to cruise for a very long time into the future, and will get the OBC probably at least once a year. We also have the RC Visa card, and redeem money this way too. We currently have over 60,000 points on our card to use in the future. We don't usually gamble with our money, or play in the stock market, but this makes sense to us to go ahead and have the 100 shares. Any feedback from others would be appreciated.

Our financial advisor agrees that it is a good time to buy the stock at this time.

It also pays a dividend of $15 p/quarter p/100 shares.

I've been watching it for a while now. In looking in closer detail at today's trading one thing that jumps out other than the rapid decline in price today is the extra large volume of trades compared to the average daily volume over the past several months.

Perhaps in a few days we can pick up some additional savings making it a nice investment early this year. I've picked up some additional stocks over the past couple weeks that should do well this year. Hopefully this one is going to join that lot. :)

What if you bought the stock, submitted the appropriate documents to RCL, received the OBC then dumped the stock before your cruise date?

You can probably do that and get away with it, but if you pay a transaction fee every time you buy or sell stock, you need to deduct that cost from the OBC you are receiving, and of course, if the price drops significantly between the time you purchase it and "dump" it, there would be an additional loss that would reduce and perhaps eliminate the value of the OBC. If you expect to cruise on RCI, Celebrity, Azamara etc. more than once in the foreseeable future, perhaps the better (and certainly more honorable) thing to do would be to hold onto the stock. :rolleyes: Who knows it might even appreciate in value over the long run? But if your conscience doesn't bother you, go ahead and do what you want.:(:rolleyes:

Does anyone know what amount do you get per share for OBC. I have heard that you get OBC per 100 shares. How much?

You need 100 shares to get the credit; you don't get more OBC for having more than 100 shares. The amount of OBC is based on the length of the cruise, not the # of shares you own. The maximum OBC is $250 (which is for cruises of 14 nights or longer); the minimum is $50 (for short cruises). I believe that it is $100 for 7 nighters.

What if you bought the stock, submitted the appropriate documents to RCL, received the OBC then dumped the stock before your cruise date?

According to the web site, you are not allowed to do this; if they became aware you would lose the OBC. However some people have posted that they managed to get away with doing this. If too many people do this, RCL may abandon this perk.

Does anyone know what amount do you get per share for OBC. I have heard that you get OBC per 100 shares. How much?

The OBC is for owning 100 or more shares of RCCL stock. It is not an OBC for each 100 shares you own. The amount of the shareholder benefit varies according to the length of your cruise and runs from $50 for cruises of 5 nights or less to $250 for cruises of 14 or more nights. If you book a 7 night cruise, your OBC will be $100 and for cruises of 9 to 13 nights - $200.

If you cruise frequently enough, it can add up. Of course to take advantage of the the OBC you have to spend at least that amount onboard your cruise, so it is really a win-win situation for both you and RCCL.:D

You need 100 shares to get the credit; you don't get more OBC for having more than 100 shares. The amount of OBC is based on the length of the cruise, not the # of shares you own. The maximum OBC is $250 (which is for cruises of 14 nights or longer); the minimum is $50 (for short cruises). I believe that it is $100 for 7 nighters.

Looks like we were both posting at the same time. Fortunately we both have our facts straight. What is that thing about great minds thinking alike.;):D

Someone probably leaked earnings. Besides, you don't want to own RCCL in a recession.

why not......if it is a good solid company it might be a bargain.......I bought RCL right after 9-11.......it was at 8......and I watched it go to 40 before I sold some......it could be low now.......but if you can hold on, it should go back up.....:)

Would you know if you book a B2B will it be $100 each week or would it be $250 for a 14 day cruise, not cheap just curious. Thanks for the help and advice.

Would you know if you book a B2B will it be $100 each week or would it be $250 for a 14 day cruise, not cheap just curious. Thanks for the help and advice.

:)

Someone is sure to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that back to backs are treated as though they were separate 7 night cruises and thus the OBC would be $200 total.

Debbie, not sure if you are aware of this but if your doing a B2B you will get an OBC for both sailings, make sure you include both booking numbers when you request your OBC. Now is a good time to buy RCL if you’re in for the OBC, we bought in Aug of 06 at $33.00 and have received $700.00 in OBC, not a bad return so far. Here is another plus the OBC is not subject to taxes and the RCL stock credits also apply to Celebrity, Azamara & Pullmantur sailings. I bought online and avoided the brokerage fees.

That is what I was planning on doing. Sending in both of my reservations numbers to obtain eac $50. OBC. We are in this for the "fun" of it. Whatever extra money we get will be great! Hopefully years on down the road when we are too old and decrepit to cruise, we can sell the stock, and make a profit on it.

I think the OBC for stock is granted each year (in May) and is not guaranteed to happen. So buying the stock on the premise you will always get an OBC is not a good idea. You get one today but may not next year or the year after that.

Mike

First to admit that I am dumb-as-a-rock when it comes to buying stock, and need to question this. Does this mean they only grant OBCs during May, meaning if you haven't booked by then you can't get it later in the year?

Also, is there fine print stating that they can stop giving OBCs any time they see the need?

Thanks

I think the OBC for stock is granted each year (in May) and is not guaranteed to happen. So buying the stock on the premise you will always get an OBC is not a good idea. You get one today but may not next year or the year after that.

Mike

I admit I am dumb-as-a-rock when it comes to stocks and investing. So, my two questions...Does this mean that if you haven't booked by May you don't get an OBC for anything you book later in the year? Also, is there fine print that says OBCs are not guaranteed, they can stop giving them any time they feel the need to?

Thanks

Mike

I admit I am dumb-as-a-rock when it comes to stocks and investing. So, my two questions...Does this mean that if you haven't booked by May you don't get an OBC for anything you book later in the year? Also, is there fine print that says OBCs are not guaranteed, they can stop giving them any time they feel the need to?

Thanks

Thanks

What is means is that every year, in May, they decide whether to grant OBC for stockholders. They can elect not to do so at any time, but they have done it now for quite a few years.

Have the trial lawyers gotten bored with destroying our medical system or are they good at multi-tasking and going after multiple systems simultaneously?

Multi-tasking is them. They are always looking for a rich sector of the economy to loot. Of course they will do it on behalf of the people, and like a great presidential candidate they will eventually get a 25,000 square foot house outside of a great college town and the people will get a $10 discount of a future activity that 80% will never use. It is the perfect scam. Again, we all need great lawyers to protect us from the looters, so this is not a general screed against lawyers just a cautionary note!;)

jc:(

Now that stock has dropped, it is a good time to consider buying some. You can go to RCL's site under investor relations and you can find the benefits of own 100 shares, not bad.

If one does buy the stock, how long does it take to receive your stocks so you can prove to RCL that you are indeed a stockholder and thus qualify for the OBC?

Griswalds

I'm not a stockbroker, but if you've been thinking about buying RCL stock for the stockholder discount, the stock is lower than it's been for a year.

If you purchase the stock from an online broker, you can print your statement after the transaction goes through with the purchase.

Then fax or email a copy of your statement to shareholderbenefit@ rccl.com and within 2 days you should receive a response. If you don't have the stock website here it is:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

:confused: NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A host of well-known companies are leaving themselves open to shareholder lawsuits because they're not telling investors enough about how much they contribute to global warming or what it might cost them to clean up, according to a recent report.

But the companies most exposed to lawsuits aren't the big utilities but a cadre of less obvious firms.

The corporate governance research group the Corporate Library ranked companies that both emit lots of carbon - either directly or through their major parts suppliers - and those that produce more emissions than their peers.

"The purpose of the study was to put up some red flags and say there are some things that look disturbing in our data," said Beth Young, a Corporate Library researcher and author of the report.

Toycompany Hasbro (HAS), fiber-optic maker Corning (GLW, Fortune 500), railroad Burlington Northern (BNI, Fortune 500), Royal Caribbean (RCL) cruise line and lawn and garden company Scotts Miracle-Grow (SMG) all scored below average in the report, while most utilities and other big emitters of carbon dioxide - who have long detailed their emissions and potential costs for cleaning them up in financial filings - scored better.

The firms that ranked below averageare at greater risk of shareholder lawsuits if and when a cap on carbon dioxide emissions is passed, the report said.

Since there are currently no federal laws restricting these emissions, there have been no suits of this type filed to date.

But lawyers say it's certainly a possibility, especially if a company's stock stumbles if expensive upgrades are mandated.

And this means what to someone who owns 100 shares of the stock, cruises twice a year and gets the OBC's?

Exactly the information I wanted. Thank you for sticking to the topic.

Griswalds

If you purchase the stock from an online broker, you can print your statement after the transaction goes through with the purchase.

Then fax or email a copy of your statement to shareholderbenefit@ rccl.com and within 2 days you should receive a response. If you don't have the stock website here it is:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

:confused: NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A host of well-known companies are leaving themselves open to shareholder lawsuits because they're not telling investors enough about how much they contribute to global warming or what it might cost them to clean up, according to a recent report.

But the companies most exposed to lawsuits aren't the big utilities but a cadre of less obvious firms.

The corporate governance research group the Corporate Library ranked companies that both emit lots of carbon - either directly or through their major parts suppliers - and those that produce more emissions than their peers.

"The purpose of the study was to put up some red flags and say there are some things that look disturbing in our data," said Beth Young, a Corporate Library researcher and author of the report.

Toycompany Hasbro (HAS), fiber-optic maker Corning (GLW, Fortune 500), railroad Burlington Northern (BNI, Fortune 500), Royal Caribbean (RCL) cruise line and lawn and garden company Scotts Miracle-Grow (SMG) all scored below average in the report, while most utilities and other big emitters of carbon dioxide - who have long detailed their emissions and potential costs for cleaning them up in financial filings - scored better.

The firms that ranked below averageare at greater risk of shareholder lawsuits if and when a cap on carbon dioxide emissions is passed, the report said.

Since there are currently no federal laws restricting these emissions, there have been no suits of this type filed to date.

But lawyers say it's certainly a possibility, especially if a company's stock stumbles if expensive upgrades are mandated.

Google "Corporate Liberty"

LL

Archived